Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4271414 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7185 on: June 02, 2017, 07:42:13 pm »

Heh, about that crazy girl who killed the Uber driver, I noticed a funny pattern:

all media are showing pics of her (white blonde girl) except for the alt-right ones, (Daily Caller, Breitbart) who are showing stock images, then commenters are implying she must be black/muslim or a refugee.
C'mon now, if Fox News has taught me anything, it's that white blonde girls are only newsworthy when they go missing or are victims of crime by illegal immigrants.

Meanwhile, the WH is reportedly mulling over invoking executive privilege to block Comey from testifying to Congress. And right-wingers are already geared up to defend it by pointing out that Obama invoked executive privilege to block Congress from seeing ATF and DOJ documents related to the botched 'Fast and Furious' operation.

I'm actually curious to see how much bigger this shitstorm can get. It's as if they keep trying to put a fire out with gasoline, and are genuinely confused why that doesn't seem to be helping.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: June 02, 2017, 07:53:48 pm »

That really is the worst part about Hillary running: Biden is charming... in a creepy sorta way AND competent, while she was--given her experience in politics--arguably more competent than uncle Joe, what charm she has was basically just backsplash from Bill, but that didn't seem to matter much so she wound up kinda slacking because, come on, nobody is stupid enough to put Trump in office, right?

Trump: *gesticulates and babbles*

Biden: *grins and leans to one side slightly as he holds a hand up towards Trump* Really? Who let this fucking mook on stage?

Cooper: I don't think you can use that word.

Biden: Ok fine, maybe 'mook' was inappropriate, let's go with 'tiny-hands-mc-fucking-shitsack' instead?

Trump: *cries and throws a tantrum*

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: June 02, 2017, 07:57:58 pm »

Biden running for office would at least give me more Uncle Joe articles from the Onion

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: June 02, 2017, 08:07:54 pm »

Biden running for office would at least give me more Uncle Joe articles from the Onion

That would probably be the best part. Maybe they could have a post-Election day article titled Onion Wins Presidential Election.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:26:55 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: June 02, 2017, 08:36:10 pm »

Huh. TEVUS submission went through. Need to poke around a bit to find out exactly what I'm not supposed to mention sans permission, but, uh. Even in like three minutes of use this thing is pretty neat. Hopefully it's general enough to mention that apparently a full half of left-wing domestic terror incidents since... '74, if I'm parsing this right. Occurred in three states. Over a quarter in one. Right wing is rather notably more spread out, though two of its most hit areas are shared with that top three, if not in the same order.

Left wing incidents also seem to be notably better... understood, I guess. Right has unknown for location in its top three, whereas it's down a bit for the left. That's somewhat surprisingly unsurprising, I think. Common sentiment is that stateside enforcement is notably more lackadaisic about right wing extremism, even when it's significantly (like, around twice vis a vis what tevus's sources cover) more likely, and at least on the face of it that kind of lack of information is pretty much exactly what you would expect if that were accurate.

Now we poke around the time related stuff and... jeez, what the hell happened in '93? I'd actually guess it was some sort of change in tracking and enforcement, but incidents bloody doubled that year, while general crime was starting its downslope.

... anyway, at least so far as what these folks track, the answer to if extremist acts are trending towards an increase is "Definitely not." Shit spikes up and down, doubles and halves what appears to be fairly randomly (i.e. the trend is a lot less trend-y), and largely looks to be roughly on par with early (pre-93) 90s numbers in terms of events in a few years leading up to 2015 (haven't actually finished poking things to get a full per-year count, 'cause I'm damn hungry and about to go feed myself, but I've tallied the bits from the start of what I'm first checking (period from 1990 to their latest, which is 2015) and the end), which is, uh. Our 2015 population was about 150% of what it was in 1990, up by a handful of millions short of a full 100 of 'em. Would suggest that to some degree the extremist ends of political violence are actually dropping, on the net.

Which would actually sorta' be what you'd expect, given the general crime trend, though parts of the extremist timeline doesn't even remotely mirror the general one. Interesting stuff. Entirely too specific for what I was curious about, heh, but still interesting.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: June 02, 2017, 08:36:25 pm »

That would probably be the best part. Maybe they could have a post-Election day article titled Onion Wins Presidential Election.

This is why I don't want Biden to run...
As much as I like Biden, he's also got a history... and far too many creepy pictures of him touching women and girls to make him a safe choice to run in such an uncertain era.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: June 02, 2017, 08:38:35 pm »

"It's the Onion wot won it!"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: June 02, 2017, 08:41:24 pm »

As much as I like Biden, he's also got a history... and far too many creepy pictures of him touching women and girls to make him a safe choice to run in such an uncertain era.
Hey, it'd still be a improvement over what we've got now. Maybe finagle things and have him run on the republican ticket, they don't seem to care much about silly junk like sexual infidelity and whatnot.
Ask not!
Ask!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: June 02, 2017, 08:44:09 pm »

NYT: The opposite of responsible journalism
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/06/02/the-new-york-times-learned-the-name-of-the-new-cia-operations-head-for-iran-and-guess-what-happened/
So you're saying journalists shouldn't report the news? Here's the thing: journalists are not responsible for keeping your secrets for you. If you tell a journalist what you do, it's not their fault when what you do gets plastered all over the news. Heck, I make nothing more important than video games and even *I* know not to go tell Kotaku about some unannounced new title being worked on or even just give them information which hasn't been publicly released. If you're a spy and even the news media knows what you do, you've already got bigger problems like the fact that you almost certainly live in a basket of lies woven by your target who was tipped off ages ago.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: June 02, 2017, 08:47:21 pm »

Huh. TEVUS submission went through. Need to poke around a bit to find out exactly what I'm not supposed to mention sans permission, but, uh. Even in like three minutes of use this thing is pretty neat. Hopefully it's general enough to mention that apparently a full half of left-wing domestic terror incidents since... '74, if I'm parsing this right. Occurred in three states. Over a quarter in one. Right wing is rather notably more spread out, though two of its most hit areas are shared with that top three, if not in the same order.
Makes sense. One would expect left-wing terrorism to be centered in those places that the left in general is strongest, as is with the right. The extremes of the right are more geographically spaced and perhaps also are encouraged by rural isolation.
Now we poke around the time related stuff and... jeez, what the hell happened in '93? I'd actually guess it was some sort of change in tracking and enforcement, but incidents bloody doubled that year, while general crime was starting its downslope.
1993, you say?

Anyway, do keep it up, I'm interested in hearing your finds and conclusions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: June 02, 2017, 08:57:10 pm »

Hey, it'd still be a improvement over what we've got now. Maybe finagle things and have him run on the republican ticket, they don't seem to care much about silly junk like sexual infidelity and whatnot.

I'd definitely take Biden over what we have now... but he wasn't called the Gaffmatic Adjustable Fed* during Obama's first term for nothing.

*Called that, by me, just now, I came up with it. I'm so proud.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: June 02, 2017, 08:58:18 pm »

NYT: The opposite of responsible journalism
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/06/02/the-new-york-times-learned-the-name-of-the-new-cia-operations-head-for-iran-and-guess-what-happened/

Quote from: The NYT
But both programs were led by some of the same people. The C.I.A. asked that Mr. D’Andrea’s name and the names of some other top agency officials be withheld from this article, but The New York Times is publishing them because they have leadership roles in one of the government’s most significant paramilitary programs and their roles are known to foreign governments and many others.

And that's from their 2015 article when they mention him. The Times makes a salient point that, if nothing else, his identity is already not a secret. It toes the line for me but ultimately they have not outed anyone.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: June 02, 2017, 09:02:18 pm »

Makes sense. One would expect left-wing terrorism to be centered in those places that the left in general is strongest, as is with the right. The extremes of the right are more geographically spaced and perhaps also are encouraged by rural isolation.
I mean, you'd think, and at least with idle consideration it's somewhat accurate, but... still, as noted, left and right wing extremists both share two states in their top three favored(?), and while the positions and amounts are basically flipped, the numbers are something approaching equal. No points if you can guess which they are, but now that I think about it, population probably has a fair bit more to do with it than most things. More people, more events. Now that I pop the (google) map (with each event pinned) back out, there's definitely concentration in populated areas.

... florida kinda' looks almost weirdly... gods, whatever the word is, not dense. There's definitely some and there's a definite concentration in a couple of completely unsurprising places (again, population), but compared to some of the other major population zones it almost looks kinda' half-ignored. Not even sure what to begin to think about that. Though on one hand, I can kinda' see it. These sorts of things take a fair amount of drive and dedication and whatnot, much of the time, and that shit's a lot easier to dredge up when the air isn't trying to broil you. Instead of political extremists, we get florida man, he/she/it of cook-ed brain.

E: Bloody hell, now that I look again that's actually a scarily plausible hypothesis. Areas in line the the top of florida actually look to be relatively sparse for their general state/region/etc., and in general the more extreme the environment, the less the number of events; obviously that has a lot to do with population density, but... still.

E2: ... now I kinda' want to see this stuff mapped out on a temperature map. Hrm.

E3: I swear to fornication, if I'm still alive when it's noticed and it turns out global warming causes a depression in extremist activities by sheer dint of everyone being too goddamn miserable to muster to the effort to cause problems, I am going to hurt something. I don't know what, but something.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:12:21 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: June 02, 2017, 09:03:44 pm »

That too!
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 3573