Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4272286 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7170 on: June 02, 2017, 02:04:26 pm »

Except that his ego is in constant flux and doesn't stay up for very long. The Saudis are happy to strike his ego because they need the US to be their ally against Iran, while Europe is trying to do their usual diplomatic words celebrating our friendship, they're only willing to stroke his ego so far and so long.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: June 02, 2017, 02:05:09 pm »

I have to wonder how often Paul Ryan has those dark impulses as he tries to sleep, the vision of the path that is open before him to escape the horror that is the Speakership and attain the White House. There are only two men standing in your way, Paul. How easy it would be to file those motions and...end the farce.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: June 02, 2017, 02:11:49 pm »

Pence would have to do something horribad (for Republicans, he's already horribad for liberals) to make Paul Ryan want to do impeachment motions.

So far, Pence has been mostly free of the Russia scandals and the worst he seems to have done is make some very sloppy work during the transition.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: June 02, 2017, 03:29:10 pm »

Which is also what Macron didn't give Trump with his handshake antics.
... clarify a bit? Not sure whose handshake antics you're talking about, exactly. Trump had plenty of room to maintain dignity with that particular incident, if you're talking about macron's response -- all trump had to do was not start things off trying to be a power playing jackass, or at least offer due respect when he was met in kind. The lesson there was that not everyone is going to roll over when the guy tries to shit on them, more than anything about necessary cooperation.

Though the bit I'd add to the dilemma question is whether it matters if trump can learn or not, because the lesson is an important one to be (seen) teaching even if the other side is refusing to learn. Even if the material calculations come out in favor of going supine for a few years and then fixing shit, the ethical/cultural/etc. ones might not, y'know? Becoming known as someone that's going to capitulate if the other actor evinces sufficiently bad behavior can end up... not exactly ideal, on fields both foreign and domestic. Demanding a modicum of respect from a stronger power is risky, but so is not. And accurate or not, there's going to be folks who decide the not is riskier.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: June 02, 2017, 03:33:41 pm »

Heh, about that crazy girl who killed the Uber driver, I noticed a funny pattern:

all media are showing pics of her (white blonde girl) except for the alt-right ones, (Daily Caller, Breitbart) who are showing stock images, then commenters are implying she must be black/muslim or a refugee.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: June 02, 2017, 04:37:27 pm »

Heh, about that crazy girl who killed the Uber driver, I noticed a funny pattern:

all media are showing pics of her (white blonde girl) except for the alt-right ones, (Daily Caller, Breitbart) who are showing stock images, then commenters are implying she must be black/muslim or a refugee.
That's not really fair. I started looking a couple of minutes ago and found a single article actually showing a picture of her; most are showing pictures of the driver. Poor dude.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: June 02, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »

That's not really fair. I started looking a couple of minutes ago and found a single article actually showing a picture of her; most are showing pictures of the driver. Poor dude.

I checked this too. I saw most of your mid-range news sites had a picture. I searched specifically for Fox news outlets and saw nary a picture.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: June 02, 2017, 04:56:48 pm »

Well I found this out because pretty much every news outlet was running images taken from her facebook (no mugshot was released yet), and then I decided to see what the alt-right media's take on "white girl murderer" was, and discovered 100% of them weren't running pictures of the suspect, while their commenters were making racist assumptions.

The main source of the story originated with the Chicago Tribune, and they ran the pictures there. All the international press and most US press are running the images.

Now, there are some such as the Washington Post and New York Times that don't have images with the articles (they were from Associated Press), but the Daily Caller and Breitbart don't have that excuse: they did include large glossy images, but they used stock art instead of the widely circulating images of the suspect:

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/06/01/16-year-old-girl-accused-hacking-uber-driver-death/
http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/01/teen-girl-accused-of-hacking-chicago-uber-driver-to-death-in-unprovoked-attack/?utm_campaign=thedcmainpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:16:16 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: June 02, 2017, 05:12:35 pm »

The BBC article didn't have a picture of her1, but neither do I see any attempt to force the reader to make any assumptions such as those it is suggested that certain media outlets have done.

I may be biased, but I like that style and find it factual and neutral.  (Of course I'm a completely brainwashed shill to MsM, blah, blah, blah...  And I refuse to capitalise as "MainStream Media" :P)

1 Might be the same cultural thing as our police not wanting every little detail revealing in an ongoing investigation. A grainy (pre-mortem) photo of the victim is a viable tribute/obituary illustration, but a mug-shot/whatever of the still only  alleged perpetrator (arrested and charged but not yet had her day in court) would be sensationalism and helps no-one.  -    To word it perhaps a bit strongly.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: June 02, 2017, 05:18:20 pm »

Yeah, i edited it to point out that Breitbart and Daily Caller did in fact have large glossy images heading their stories, but they used commercial stock art instead of the widely available story-relevant images. So, this was a conscious decision, they had the photos in front of them, but then went out of their way to go research stock images which were nice and glossy, but had nothing to do with the story!

And we all fucking know damn well that if it was a black suspect, both outlets would have run their images, clearly signaling the suspect's race to their readers. Those media outlets are basically turds someone shat out in the gutter.

Not having any images at all is a different thing.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:26:28 pm by Reelya »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7180 on: June 02, 2017, 05:46:51 pm »

Yeah, I didn't look in-depth, but I google'd it and only one of the articles I saw had her picture.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: June 02, 2017, 05:56:19 pm »

Deciding what photos to use in response to a tragedy or calamity or event is a highly debated topic in news teams. Triply so when someone is being accused of a crime. Generally when your average major news outlet decides it's ok to use a suspect's photo (typically because there is not a shadow of a doubt as to their involvement) it's a green light for most outlets to do so. Sometimes when one outlet decides to use a photo, and another outlet decides not to, one or the other will editorialize on why they made the decision they did.

So I tend to agree that in this instance, Fox News outlets not using her photo seems like a deliberate choice. Maybe they don't want to reflect the same coverage that "MsM" is. Maybe they're not willing to post her photo until she's been formally charged. Or maybe they have other reasons. FWIW, I skimmed a few of those articles and they were written neutrally. It does seem conspicuous though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:58:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »

Also FWIW, she's a minor. I'm not sure how strict it is, to be honest, but I was under the impression that there was some rule, either law or common agreement to not print the identity of a minor in criminal cases. I know our local news specifically does not release pictures or names of minors involved in a crime.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: June 02, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »

Also FWIW, she's a minor. I'm not sure how strict it is, to be honest, but I was under the impression that there was some rule, either law or common agreement to not print the identity of a minor in criminal cases. I know our local news specifically does not release pictures or names of minors involved in a crime.

Not sure if there's a law, but there's definetly a common agreement not to release the identity of a minor involved in a crime.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:42:36 pm by redwallzyl »
Pages: 1 ... 477 478 [479] 480 481 ... 3573