Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4275773 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7125 on: June 01, 2017, 05:51:40 pm »

Also I thought Climate Change was generally positively received by both parties (the voter base, not the higher ups or party leaders)

Not necessarily because of climate change itself... but because environmental protection itself is vital and they don't want thick smog.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: June 01, 2017, 05:51:53 pm »

Does that apply to crops? GMOs and their seeds? I think it does...
Now that is a very good question indeed.
This is referring to how GM crops can't be reseeded and have to have the seeds purchased again from the "manufacturer" each time the farmer wants to plant them, yes?

Monsanto (the go-to name in GM crops) requires those who buy its seeds to agree not to replant them, meaning that when they do crack down on someone for replanting seeds, it's a matter of contract violation, not patent law. I would say the situation is not quite analogous.
I mean, even if they were allowed to replant by contract, they probably wouldn't. No guarantee the offspring would carry the same traits as the parent plants do, by nature of how genetic generations and hybridization works.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: June 01, 2017, 06:12:15 pm »

Yeaaahh, first poll I noticed on the paris agreement had support for at 60ish percent and against like... sub thirty. Was from last year, if it's not already slipped my mind. Whatever else this may have been, what the american population wants it was not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: June 01, 2017, 06:14:18 pm »

Hypocritically, Trump says that we'll be the will be the cleanest and most environmentally friendly country on Earth. *rolls eyes* yeah bleeping right. Why did we leave the climate deal then? And he and the Republicans have been doing stuff that's the direct opposite of trying to be environmentally friendly.

It'll be mitigated somewhat by state and city efforts and those companies who find it profitable to be environmentally friendly.

Yeaaahh, first poll I noticed on the paris agreement had support for at 60ish percent and against like... sub thirty. Was from last year, if it's not already slipped my mind. Whatever else this may have been, what the american population wants it was not.

I guess his supporters thought that he was just speaking rhetorically and took Trump seriously, but not literally, like on the wall, and never was going to withdraw from the climate deal.

Oh yeah, here's another chart that is telling. The only group that is divided on it are conservative Republicans. I don't have a link to the study itself though, the Vox article didn't provide one, they probably should.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:20:36 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: June 01, 2017, 06:50:31 pm »

Hypocritically, Trump says that we'll be the will be the cleanest and most environmentally friendly country on Earth. *rolls eyes* yeah bleeping right. Why did we leave the climate deal then? And he and the Republicans have been doing stuff that's the direct opposite of trying to be environmentally friendly.

It makes no sense to back out of that deal IF you were seeking to be environmentally friendly.

As it is, is a gentlemen's agreement to hit a minimum. How could you become the most environmentally friendly country on earth while, at the same time, leaving this agreement.

Well unless America was going to export their pollution.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: June 01, 2017, 07:00:45 pm »

In a sense we are exporting our pollution because the CO2 we emit doesn't stay within our borders.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: June 01, 2017, 08:41:57 pm »

Hypocritically, Trump says that we'll be the will be the cleanest and most environmentally friendly country on Earth.
I fear he's planning to remove all Democrats from the US. With half the population gone, the US' CO2 footprint will become much lower than even the wildest Paris dreams
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: June 01, 2017, 09:06:28 pm »

Trump admin officials started trying from day 1 to set up plans to remove the sanctions that Obama had placed on Russia.

So, looks like Flynn was right and they really intended to remove the sanctions.

Also, lol this, Trump called a random (okay, not so random) Fox reporter this morning for advice on the Paris Climate accord. How freaking silly is that? I mean, for the leader of the country?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: June 01, 2017, 09:08:45 pm »

Trump called a random (okay, not so random) Fox reporter this morning for advice on the Paris Climate accord.[/url] How freaking silly is that? I mean, for the leader of the country?

Presidents are allowed to ask people for advice. It isn't a bad idea and in fact there are people whose job is specifically JUST giving politicians advice and that includes the President.

A Fox reporter, mind you, is a bit odd... depending on what the advice is for... Likely on how such a story would be run or perceived.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: June 01, 2017, 09:34:00 pm »

Trump called a random (okay, not so random) Fox reporter this morning for advice on the Paris Climate accord.[/url] How freaking silly is that? I mean, for the leader of the country?

Presidents are allowed to ask people for advice. It isn't a bad idea and in fact there are people whose job is specifically JUST giving politicians advice and that includes the President.

A Fox reporter, mind you, is a bit odd... depending on what the advice is for... Likely on how such a story would be run or perceived.

I'm not against the asking for advice part, just that the asking a reporter seemed a bit odd and kind of out of the blue.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: June 01, 2017, 09:48:02 pm »

The act itself of withdrawing from the Paris Agreement isn't worrying, it's what it represents for this administration. President Trump has shown himself to be easily influenced into poor, short-term decisions with no respect to the nuance and long-term consequences of these decisions. I fully expect more absolutely mental policy decisions in the future.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: June 01, 2017, 09:55:04 pm »

Not to mention that we have yet to face something that every adminstration faces, namely, some sort of major crisis that isn't self-inflicted, be it internal (financial/economic, a natural disaster like a major hurricane or a quake) or external (pandemic, international crisis in all of it's forms, war).

If things are this chaotic and messy with bad decisions now when things are relatively calm, imagine how things are when things actually are stressed out.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: June 01, 2017, 10:01:16 pm »

neo you just replied to that like "the president just drank water out of a toilet bowl!" with a response equivalent of "well presidents are allowed to drink water. [...] A toilet bowl, mind you, is a bit odd."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: June 01, 2017, 10:02:37 pm »

neo you just replied to that like "the president just drank water out of a toilet bowl!" with a response equivalent of "well presidents are allowed to drink water. [...] A toilet bowl, mind you, is a bit odd."

Damn, I didn't know I was so suave.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 3573