Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4279029 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #7050 on: May 31, 2017, 05:38:40 pm »

Edit: Gizogin I was responding to MSH, you shaved his quote off the top of my post when you quoted it

Yup, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

So yeah, I think we are in pretty solid agreement. You can understand my confusion, since I thought we were somehow embroiled in a debate while both trying to argue the same point. I'll take this as a lesson in reading more carefully and not assuming everything is about me.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: May 31, 2017, 06:27:49 pm »

Though in other news somehow related to the presidential twitter typo (twypo?), what in the blue hell is wrong with spicer? Apparently the official white house line is that it wasn't a typo, it was intentional, and some small group of people know what it means. Sweet fornication you bloody idiot all you had to do is say typo! That was the whole of what you needed to do to do your freaking job!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: May 31, 2017, 06:48:04 pm »

Though in other news somehow related to the presidential twitter typo (twypo?), what in the blue hell is wrong with spicer? Apparently the official white house line is that it wasn't a typo, it was intentional, and some small group of people know what it means. Sweet fornication you bloody idiot all you had to do is say typo! That was the whole of what you needed to do to do your freaking job!

Praise Kek
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: May 31, 2017, 06:49:20 pm »

So, wait, the White House Press Secretary, on being asked about what was, by all appearances, an innocent typo by the president (and thus, amazingly, one of the better tweets made by that account), gave quite possibly the worst possible answer?

On top of that, the White House was forbidding the press from releasing the audio of that briefing live. How...?

I was going to expand that question, but I don't think I have the vocabulary to express adequately my utter bafflement regarding how it is possible to mess up the core responsibility of a position so utterly. It takes a truly incredible appetite for one's own feet when even Trump comes out looking like the more reasonable party, given that he acknowledged the typo and made (what could generously be considered) a light-hearted jab at himself for it.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: May 31, 2017, 06:54:01 pm »

covfefe

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: May 31, 2017, 06:57:14 pm »

It's almost like he's Press Secretary for a Banana Republic dictator or something.

Which, when you think about it, makes sense. Trump's one true strength is his personality cult. (Or less bombastically, his brand.) Casting their very human and real gaffes in the best possible light is part and parcel of any Press Secretary's job...but when your boss is so petty they'll order you, or expect you, to defend even their typos it's now firmly in the realm of the absurd.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: May 31, 2017, 06:58:35 pm »

So, wait, the White House Press Secretary, on being asked about what was, by all appearances, an innocent typo by the president (and thus, amazingly, one of the better tweets made by that account), gave quite possibly the worst possible answer?

On top of that, the White House was forbidding the press from releasing the audio of that briefing live. How...?

I was going to expand that question, but I don't think I have the vocabulary to express adequately my utter bafflement regarding how it is possible to mess up the core responsibility of a position so utterly. It takes a truly incredible appetite for one's own feet when even Trump comes out looking like the more reasonable party, given that he acknowledged the typo and made (what could generously be considered) a light-hearted jab at himself for it.

You know, the fact that CNN even is trying to play it off as a simple innocent typo and nothing else makes it all the more suspicious.

*Dons tin foil.*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: May 31, 2017, 07:00:22 pm »

Don't you know that Spicer has to lick Trumps ego until it shines and pronounce that Trumps word is god?

In all seriousness though, it's like they're unable to address even the simplest most mundane and harmless question without having to twist themselves into a pretzel over it.

Also, they're now requesting that all Russia questions be referred to the special counsel that they hired, who has Russia ties of his own.

I read that this is basically the same thing that the Clinton admin did during the Monica Lewinsky scandal, but Trump would have to avoid talking about it as well.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:02:44 pm by smjjames »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: May 31, 2017, 07:02:34 pm »

i just want to point out that CNN is pathetic.

read that article. read that article and tell me CNN would've written that a year ago.

"WAIT. WHAT???????"

not defending sean spicer (although i think everyone, including the don, was having fun with the typo) but seriously guys. write like you aren't still in middle school.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: May 31, 2017, 07:05:43 pm »

To be fair, the whole situation with the White House is pathetic, and that Chris Cilliza (who seems to be more of an editor than a reporter?) guy has been making a lot of articles recently.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7060 on: May 31, 2017, 07:27:32 pm »

Truly, even the artificial satire of DPRK Thread cannot hope to compete with the actual, true-to-life satire that occurs in AmeriPol. It is the only conclusion one can come to when...

If that were true, then for example no one could be banned from bay12.  It would infringe on free speech, after all.

And conservatives are by no means obligated to offer democrats any method of speaking, except perhaps in actual government (congress has to work somehow).  Someone could set up a soapbox on my front lawn if they wanted to, but I'm still within my rights to tell him to get off my property.  Freedom of Speech does not obligate anyone to listen to the speaker, nor accommodate them for their speaking.
...MrRoberto says that freedom of speech is only a concern when protecting people from the government under the strict wording of the Constitution, and...
So if a bunch of the biggest companies in America got together and, say, founded a mutual blacklist of everybody who had ever publicly supported a politician who wasn't "business friendly" or a laundry list of "sensitive issues" and fired them all, that's cool with you? Or who issue lawsuits against consumer critics for harming their productivity?

Because you can reframe a lot when you make freedom a government-only thing. The state need not act directly to suppress people, it can do so through orthogonal channels. Unless, of course, the right to free speech is guaranteed as a practicality and not a minor hurdle to overcome.
...I respond that this is not a meaningful defense of free speech because any organized group can suppress speech in the same manner as the state....
Inter-corporate cooperation (beyond buying and selling) has no place in capitalism and corporate blacklists should be heavily illegal in general.  "Freedom" isn't a government only thing, that was never my argument.  My point is that free speech in specific means something specific and if you're going to use free speech as part of an argument you should know what it means.  More broadly, shutting down criticism is still shutting down someone's speech; you have a right to say what you want, I have a right to criticize that speech.  And I always have the right to show you the door when you're on my property, and I always have the right to just stop listening.

Freedom is already protected.  If I attack you that's a crime, if I imprison you that's a crime, if I hurt your livelyhood unduly even in a variety of petty ways then you can sue me.  But "freedom" doesn't mean the right to other people's stuff.  No one has to give you a job, no one has to let you onto their private property, no one has to amplify your voice.  You don't have a right to control other people's words, and you don't have a right to anyone's ear.  That includes critical words and the sympathy of critical people, freedom doesn't mean that you get those things.

But yes, if no one wants to hire Richard Spencer because he would hurt their company's image that's his own damn fault and I have no sympathy.  And again, did you even read my wall of text?  You are using the words free speech 100% incorrectly.
...leading to EH jumping in out of nowhere and not responding to my argument aside from asserting his own construction of freedom of speech again...
Well, given that I didn't respond to a post made by you, I'm not sure why you think I would have read your wall of text. Unless MrRoboto is your alt?

The xkcd-level of "banning people from websites is not a violation of free speech" is not what is at issue here. Public protests aren't anybody's property, so allowing one group of people to "shut down" another, even if that is the extremes of antifa and neo-nazis, is indeed a functional violation of free speech. If the group activity of corporations shouldn't be allowed to reach out and suppress people orthogonality, than surely non-corporate group action meets the same bar. And have no doubt that the members of the state are involved, on some level, with these activities with the intent of enforcing suppression.

But even if they were not, the state absolutely has a legitimate role in preventing people from being intimidated or assaulted for filming protestors, not just because those things are crimes on their own but because they violate the free speech of the victim.

Free speech is not just a plain law but a foundational value of the United States. The state is obligated to ensure our liberties exist in fact, not just in word. Much of the struggles in this nation are based in people insisting that rights on paper are all we ought to have. Black people had the same rights as whites on paper since the end of the Civil War, but yet we clearly see that it was not respected in fact.

As long as a right leaves open orthogonal avenues of attack, it doesn't exist. It is child's play for both the state or any other group to avoid such a simple restriction.
...which I respond to by offering both a competing interpretation of free speech and the consequences of the strict "government speech" line, and am then hit with....
Antifa has a right to freedom of assembly in public places.  With all the shit that was said and done at Trump's rallies I (and the vast majority of other liberals) never said he shouldn't have a venue right?  Even tho he's hateful and violent.  Yet you are saying, because Antifa is hateful and supposedly violent, that they should lose their right to assembly.
...a bale of straw....
Yet you are saying, that a space that is appropriate for Trump supporters to protest in, should NOT be available to his opponents.  Even tho it was already blocked off and everything.  That we, nay, the government has a moral obligation to pick and choose who is allowed to show up to a protest.

Here's the thing.  Trump supporters are facing off against Antifa supporters.  The Trump supporters aren't trying to take away anyone's right to free speech or freedom of assembly.  The Antifa crowd, aren't trying to take away anyone's rights either.  Their beef is with the message, not the means by which that message is spread.  The only person who's trying to take away someone's rights is you.  I mean listen to yourself, you're calling for the US government under Trump to suppress an anti-Trump movement because of a "spirit of the law" that vastly contradicts the letter of the law as repeatedly interpreted by generations of supreme courts... and you think you're defending the right to assembly?  You're trying to take it away from someone you don't like.
....which is about the equivalent of....
Wrong. It’s been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real… then it should be an animal now.
...this, in having anything to do what we were talking about or my actual position.

Honestly, AmeriPol. Keep your lines of conversation clear from one another.
Remember, people are still allowed to protest in front of Planned Parenthood, legally, despite those protests being obviously about inconveniencing and intimidating people that want to use that service.
Oh, and there are laws, several in fact, about the nature of protests near a business and especially an abortion clinic. You definitely aren't allowed to grab pregnant women going for an abortion and hold them down to prevent them from committing what you think is murder, so you also aren't allowed to start a fascist/anti-fascist street war as part of free speech. And it is in the state's interest to prevent both those things, not just because they contravene the criminal code but because they prevent the practices of a free society.

Unlike most other valid bits of law, the Constitution at several points calls for purely subjective judgement (What is "cruel and unusual" in the 8th, what are "unenumerated rights" that can't be denied in the 9th, what constitutes enough "reasonability" to ignore the 4th, etc, etc). If you want to get into Founder-talk, one particularly famous fellow mentioned that the founders are all going to be dead men soon and America's people shouldn't be bound to the failures of the past during the future. I'm fairly certain that isn't' the only mention of such a sentiment, either. The Constitution is not sacredly invariable, it has subjects that are up to interpretation, that can never be pinned down anymore than the question "What is 'a few' of something?" can be pinned down. It is our responsibility as citizens to advance the philosophy of liberty ourselves and apply it in ways that are less hypocritical and more effective.

Praise Kek
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wrong.

Command
Orb
Victim
Field
Energy
Feed
Eternally

He's telling them to feed The Orb the blood of the innocent so it may complete its Dominion Field over the Earth and enslave humanity. Bad form, Spicer. Bad form.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: May 31, 2017, 07:43:06 pm »

The big quotes in the previous page did seem to get butchered somewhat, EH even accidentially quoted gizogin at one point when he meant to quote you, MSH.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: May 31, 2017, 08:15:02 pm »

The big quotes in the previous page did seem to get butchered somewhat, EH even accidentially quoted gizogin at one point when he meant to quote you, MSH.

What a covfefe.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7063 on: May 31, 2017, 08:56:53 pm »

Anyways, as the Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward (I had started to post when I got the idea for the title change, so, heh), Congress is investigating another possible meeting between Sessions and Kislyak. Sessions didn't report that one either, if it did happen.

Also, remember those two Russian spy compounds that Obama confiscated as punishment for Russian interference in the election? Trump is considering giving those back. It seems that it had initially been contingent on resuming construction on a consulate in St. Petersburg, but that's no longer the case. Consulate in a construction freeze or not, this seems like the absolute last thing someone under investigation for colluding with Russia should be doing as it.... *drumroll* looks like they're colluding with Russia.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7064 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:45 pm »

Goodness I thought he misspelled coffee... But... that doesn't even make sense in that sentence.
Pages: 1 ... 469 470 [471] 472 473 ... 3573