Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4279009 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #7005 on: May 31, 2017, 12:59:12 pm »

as someone who lives in berkeley, I can list a shitload of instances of antifa morons assaulting people with a deadly weapon, i.e. Eric Clanton bike-locking three people, all of them non-violent, at the April 15th rally, or someone who still hasn't been fucking caught hitting a prone man over the head with a shovel. If you think this isn't a fucking problem...

I and others have repeatedly stated our agreement that this is a problem. 

Our disagreement is with the conclusion that just because some people are irresponsible means their motivations and methods are completely wrong.  That free speech trumps self-defense, and all should be left to the marketplace of ideas to sort out.

I can draw a distinction between cracking some unknown person's skull in a recklessly engaged street fight, and punching Richard Spencer.  Just because one thing's bad doesn't mean the other is, and condemnation of one action should not necessarily extend to condemnation of all similar actions.

if you think that two lone wolf stabbings by mental cases are worse than a nationwide trend of political violence...I don't think I can help here. It's despicable the kind of damage alt-right types do, but trying to deflect using that is cowardly.

If you think that this is about two lone wolf stabbings, then your one-sided focus and confirmation bias is beyond words.

Radical leftists bringing deadly assault with improvised weapons to reckless street fights over the public appearance of their political adversaries is making news, because it's unusual.

Hate crimes have been a normalcy throughout United States history, such that they happen all the time without making national news, if news at all.  Only cases that are especially gruesome, connected to well-known public figures or authorities, or done with the intention of making a political statement gain much attention.

What's happening right now is that background noise of discrimination and hate crime that we've been taught for the last 50 years to condemn as wrong, but grew up tuning out as normal, is now re-gaining legitimacy in our politics.  Some people have responded recklessly to this, and all of a sudden they're being viewed as the violent party.  But that's only because the background noise of discrimination and hate crime is tuned out, and omitted from consideration as a part of this political development.

and i'm also arguing that all the antifa types have done is radicalized the not-alt right even more. cat's out of the bag now, though.

"White nationalists are getting assaulted for publicly promoting ideologies that society agreed to be wrong after causing centuries of untold suffering and some of the most horrific episodes in human history?  Hmm... maybe white cis-genders males really are the supreme form of humanity.  Where do I sign up?"

If this is how it works, then our species deserves to be wiped off the planet.  But I don't think it does.  Moderate onlookers aren't going to develop racist tendencies, because of radicals engaging in street fights.  Any radicalization is far more likely to be based on tapping into latent pre-existing biases.  And if violence against unabashed white nationalists triggers that, then the sympathy for them was already there, and allowing them to speak and gather legitimacy was going to do the same thing in the end.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:02:10 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: May 31, 2017, 01:00:30 pm »

... so can anyone actually find data on stateside political violence? 'Cause I just spent the last hour digging around, and the last numbers specifically tracking that that approached particularly good seem to have ended in '68, with the last period in 2010. Bit more with somewhat more specialized stuff like domestic terrorism and hate/extremist groups (which definitely appears to have a strong lean, politics wise), but not something I'd be willing to cite as signs of any particular trend.

Someone out there happens to know where to find something that's worth a damn, it'd be nice to hear about. Most of the more recent stuff I'm seeing is either biased as all hell or light on actual numbers... and if we know anything, it's that american feelings on crime rates et al are among the gold standards for "shit what is wrong".
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ was my first reflex, but then I remembered these: https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: May 31, 2017, 01:23:47 pm »

extentuating

Do you mean "extenuating", or is this some obscure statistical jargon I'm not familiar with?
Typo.
... so can anyone actually find data on stateside political violence? 'Cause I just spent the last hour digging around, and the last numbers specifically tracking that that approached particularly good seem to have ended in '68, with the last period in 2010. Bit more with somewhat more specialized stuff like domestic terrorism and hate/extremist groups (which definitely appears to have a strong lean, politics wise), but not something I'd be willing to cite as signs of any particular trend.

Someone out there happens to know where to find something that's worth a damn, it'd be nice to hear about. Most of the more recent stuff I'm seeing is either biased as all hell or light on actual numbers... and if we know anything, it's that american feelings on crime rates et al are among the gold standards for "shit what is wrong".
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ was my first reflex, but then I remembered these: https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005
CIA? FBI? Fake news!!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: May 31, 2017, 01:33:54 pm »

you realize these guys have shown up to events across the country, right? from auburn and nawlins to portland, from new york and boston to anaheim?

sure, they're not beating the shit out of people yet, but it's a matter of time. the cats out of the bag now, thanks to the communist ninjas. 2018 and 2020 are going to be fun, get the popcorn.
Oh no! Before long, it won't be safe to march in the streets calling for the extermination of non-whites anywhere! The horror! Whatever will we do in such a terrible dystopian future? I mean, aside from living nice lives without neo-nazis in power.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: May 31, 2017, 01:39:30 pm »

In other news, the MDA has successfully tested a missile interceptor system. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I can't help but be reminded of the "Star Wars" (SDI) system and all the accompanying reasons why being able to defend against nuclear weaponry could be far more dangerous than not being able to do so.

I don't know, maybe that all goes out the window when dealing with an irrational agent.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: May 31, 2017, 01:55:17 pm »

The fears over SDI derived from them potentially being able to stop a disarming first strike or to blunt a retaliatory second strike (which theoretically would already be reduced significantly by a disarming first strike) from a major nuclear power. This would undermine the balance of terror, and thus remove MAD as a limiting factor in international diplomacy.

Even with a working missile interceptor (which is nothing truly new - there are nuclear-tipped ABM installations all around Moscow, and the US briefly had a similar system deployed around a major missile field), the infrastructure needed to stop such an attack does not exist. The most that can probably be handled without a massive building program is a small number (1-10) of launches.

This isn't a missile shield like Star Wars was supposed to be. This is more like a missile fragmentation helmet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: May 31, 2017, 02:05:21 pm »

Spoiler: 2 pages ago, nazis (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: May 31, 2017, 02:26:34 pm »

In regards to political violence, the Intercept's FBI expose (which I've linked before but I like it so I'll link it again) mostly centers around the methods the FBI uses to operate.  But it also includes an interesting bit on the largest domestic terror threat facing the US, again from the perspective of how the FBI has gone about combating it.  This particular terror threat is extremely tied up with local politics

Its a long article so I'll summarize the relevant bit (and add a bit of my own knowledge from various news reports over the years).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: May 31, 2017, 02:28:39 pm »

you realize these guys have shown up to events across the country, right? from auburn and nawlins to portland, from new york and boston to anaheim?

sure, they're not beating the shit out of people yet, but it's a matter of time. the cats out of the bag now, thanks to the communist ninjas. 2018 and 2020 are going to be fun, get the popcorn.
Oh no! Before long, it won't be safe to march in the streets calling for the extermination of non-whites anywhere! The horror! Whatever will we do in such a terrible dystopian future? I mean, aside from living nice lives without neo-nazis in power.

That's actually a really terrible viewpoint to have. If we want to be able to argue for our own viewpoints, we have to extend that right to people whose opinions we disagree with. That's why the ACLU will defend the rights of even scum like the WBC (also actual neo-Nazis; they fought against a 1977 ruling that would have banned neo-Nazis from publicly demonstrating, while maintaining their opposition to what said neo-Nazis were actually saying).

Free speech (and freedom of assembly, freedom of press, freedom of association) has to extend to everyone as long as no-one else's right are being infringed upon. This is especially true of unpopular, even reprehensible, opinions, because popular opinions don't need defending.

When Richard Spencer was punched for being a white supremacist, I may have felt a certain visceral pleasure in it, but that doesn't mean I can't condemn the act of punching him. Not just because it fed perfectly into his rhetoric about how he was being persecuted for, in his mind, "speaking the truth"; not just because now I'm in the uncomfortable position of having to defend the rights of a really terrible person; but because we should all be wary of a culture that celebrates acts of violence when they're committed against certain, "acceptable" people.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7014 on: May 31, 2017, 02:48:25 pm »

I know it's a topic these days, but I'd appreciate it if we move the discussion of acceptable violence away from specific individuals etc.  People are endangering their accounts and this topic with some of the rhetoric.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: May 31, 2017, 02:54:49 pm »

In other news, the MDA has successfully tested a missile interceptor system. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I can't help but be reminded of the "Star Wars" (SDI) system and all the accompanying reasons why being able to defend against nuclear weaponry could be far more dangerous than not being able to do so.

I don't know, maybe that all goes out the window when dealing with an irrational agent.

As Shonus was saying, there's a big difference between this and SDI. SDI was going to attempt to be a "global" or near to it system, capable of intercepting a launch from just about anywhere at any time. This system will require localized ground stations positioned relatively close to a launch site. This means it doesn't threaten powers like Russia or China with their missiles located well inland within their own territory or anyone with submarine launched missiles and their relatively tough to pinpoint locations. (Although I'm skeptical of the idea that missile subs are as well hidden as they advertise themselves to be.) This is mostly useful in cases like Iran or North Korea where they're relatively small geographically and nobody around them really wants them to be able to launch anything.

Missile defense isn't anything new. This is just a relatively new system and showing it off is very likely just posturing towards North Korea. US and Russia both have  systems set up and active, but there is simply no reasonable amount of defense that could protect from the sheer number of warheads that could be launched by either side.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: May 31, 2017, 03:03:17 pm »

That's actually a really terrible viewpoint to have. If we want to be able to argue for our own viewpoints, we have to extend that right to people whose opinions we disagree with. That's why the ACLU will defend the rights of even scum like the WBC (also actual neo-Nazis; they fought against a 1977 ruling that would have banned neo-Nazis from publicly demonstrating, while maintaining their opposition to what said neo-Nazis were actually saying).

Free speech (and freedom of assembly, freedom of press, freedom of association) has to extend to everyone as long as no-one else's right are being infringed upon. This is especially true of unpopular, even reprehensible, opinions, because popular opinions don't need defending.

When Richard Spencer was punched for being a white supremacist, I may have felt a certain visceral pleasure in it, but that doesn't mean I can't condemn the act of punching him. Not just because it fed perfectly into his rhetoric about how he was being persecuted for, in his mind, "speaking the truth"; not just because now I'm in the uncomfortable position of having to defend the rights of a really terrible person; but because we should all be wary of a culture that celebrates acts of violence when they're committed against certain, "acceptable" people.
You're right that free speech and freedom of assembly need to be respected universally, you're wrong about how those rights work.  First of all, antifa has no obligation to respect either of those rights since they apply only to the government.  If someone has a swastika tattoo and I punch them because of it, I didn't "violate their free speech" because I can't do that because I'm not the government.  I'm still going to jail, but for assault.

Protests are protected by freedom of assembly and speech, but so are counter protests.  Antifa has a right to their voice just like the bigots.  Trump supporters can tell the "Mexicans" to go home but the the "Mexicans" can insult Trump supporters back and make fun of them till the sun goes down and that's their right.

In addition, neither of those rights has ever been universal.  And bear in mind, both freedom of assembly and freedom of speech are FAR more protected now than they were throughout most of American history.  Freedom of assembly only applies if you have the approval of local government (which is obligated to give you that approval, of course, but they can restrict it within certain bounds).  Freedom of speech has always had a ton of footnotes.  Doesn't cover hate speech, threats, certain forms of deception, ect.  In addition tho free speech only restricts, it never obligates action on the part of private citizens.  Or to put it differently, no one owes you a venue, no one owes you to listen, no one legally owes you politeness.  If the government, for example, told Reddit they weren't allowed to ban r/ fatpeoplehate, that would be violating the rights... of Reddit's owners to do what they want with their own privately owned forum.

You want your rights to help you, know what they are.  Shutting down counter protest isn't protecting people's rights its eroding them, and both the founding fathers and the constitution have my back on this one.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: May 31, 2017, 03:12:54 pm »

I didn't "violate their free speech" because I can't do that because I'm not the government

A lot of the freedoms outright spread out to the people because they apply to the government.

Essentially BECAUSE the government MUST guarantee these rights, it means it must protect them from others within specific limits.

It is why I cannot sue you swearing online (which was illegal until 2002... no really)

So yes freedom of speech applies to everyone and YES it even applies to your example of someone punching you for wearing a swastika. If the government tried to make it legal to punch people on the moral ground that they are a Nazi sympathizer, that would immediately hit free speech.

It might even prevent a business from, say, firing such an individual for wearing that tattoo, even if they keep it hidden during office hours.

This is because there is NO such thing as a "Violation of free speech" legally. The government cannot break that because it isn't a law.

---

Also I am really sad that the "Moral outrage making it legal" isn't one I pulled entirely out my ass.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:33:58 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: May 31, 2017, 03:33:17 pm »

CIA? FBI? Fake news!!
More than that, I wasn't much considering them because terrorism tends to be a bit more specific than what was the point of interest, particularly when it's coming out of sources that disseminate information how and to who those do, and from what I recalled if they've got numbers on less extreme stuff it was buried somewhere. Political violence would include a fair wider net, yeah. And, of course, if you throw it wide enough you hit racism related stuff and any attempt to even remotely equivocate scale or concern between political spheres goes straight to pot, for reasons obvious and historied.

... also the general state of things regarding US domestic terrorism was something I was already familiar enough with (goes something like right wing extremists > jihadists > everything else, speaking very roughly and probably somewhat misusing jihadist) to not be terribly curious about, heh. General politically motivated violence, though, that I haven't/hadn't seen much of anything approaching solid on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: May 31, 2017, 03:34:46 pm »

Freedom of Speech is merely the right to speak against the government without fear of imprisonment/execution/disappearance.  It does not enforce speech between individuals.

Conservatives and Democrats giving each other verbal shit isn't a violation nor a compliance of freedom of speech.  Trump shutting out reporters on grounds of "fake news" or whatever can be a violation of free speech (or press actually, but they're related nonetheless).
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 3573