Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4283186 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6780 on: May 25, 2017, 04:54:19 pm »

Eh, if you really feel like it it's mostly okay to leave something like that out. Probably wouldn't be many situations it'd qualify as formal writing, but it's fairly legit.

Yeah but semicolons are my favorite punctuation so it bugs me.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: May 25, 2017, 04:55:15 pm »

The ACS considers both to be acceptable spellings/pronunciations, as does IUPAC. So in a way, you're both right?
That's only a political declaration, much like the legal value of Pi; intended to keep America and Britain from nuking each other.

Well, after googling "Legal value of pi" I am very much confuddled.  In addition, bad use of a semi-colon; you needed an "its" before "intended", because each side of the semicolon should be a complete sentence.  If I got my grammarly right.
You did, a semicolon is properly used to link sentences; this is an example of such a usage here. It is a strange bit of punctuation though; as it can also be used to represent a more thoughtful pause than a comma. Using it that way always feels weird to me though, even there it feels wrong.
Spoiler: The Derail (click to show/hide)

In more interesting discussion, I found the video with the Popeslam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI9ypuMYWSE

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: May 25, 2017, 05:02:00 pm »

In more interesting discussion, I found the video with the Popeslam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI9ypuMYWSE
The Pope is probably just testing if he can make the demon show his true face by taunting it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: May 25, 2017, 05:58:59 pm »

Whenever I said that out loud I said it like a wrestling announcer. "Oh, IT'S THE POPESLAM! HOW ARE THE REFS ALLOWING THIS?"

Also who taught Trump how to shake hands? Saw him trying to do the arm yank shit with Macron who noped it so they just kinda clenched for a bit, expected Mills Lane to pop out of nowhere and break it up.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: May 25, 2017, 06:06:21 pm »

In other news, the 4th Circuit Court Of Appeals has upheld the injunction against the revised travel ban, 10-3. The three dissenters disagreed with the degree to which the court used Trump's statements to look beyond the letter of the bill.

The White House intends to appeal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: May 25, 2017, 06:08:23 pm »

What are the chances of the High Court repealing the ban?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: May 25, 2017, 06:12:53 pm »

Very difficult to say for sure, but I think they are pretty high.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: May 25, 2017, 06:49:43 pm »

The ACS considers both to be acceptable spellings/pronunciations, as does IUPAC. So in a way, you're both right?
That's only a political declaration, much like the legal value of Pi; intended to keep America and Britain from nuking each other.

Well, after googling "Legal value of pi" I am very much confuddled.  In addition, bad use of a semi-colon; you needed an "its" before "intended", because each side of the semicolon should be a complete sentence.  If I got my grammarly right.
In addition to the grammar rules of English existing to be learned and then immolated in the fires of the mind; what I posted is a complete sentence anyway because it's a response to another statement. If one asked "Why spelling Al divided is", and I responded "Intended to keep America and Britain from nuking each other", nobody would object. Communication on a forum is, as the name suggests, more speech based than literature based regardless of the medium.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: May 25, 2017, 06:56:12 pm »

ARE YOU PEOPLE SAYING YOU DON'T INDICATE PUNCTUATION VIA GESTURAL CUES WHEN YOU SPEAK?!?!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: May 25, 2017, 06:57:31 pm »

My air quote fingers are the strongest in the world, I can and have killed entire armies of Grammar Nazis with a single flex of my sarcastic gesture. You're fucking dead kiddo, etc, etc.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: May 25, 2017, 07:00:09 pm »

Oh good, I was starting to worry that I've been making a fool of myself for years.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: May 25, 2017, 07:02:24 pm »

The fact that fragments are allowable in general conversation is not justification for their use in any form other than general conversation.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: May 25, 2017, 07:13:58 pm »

Punctuation is like salt; used well, it can bring out the best of, er, a ... dish? Too little can lead to confusion and irritability, while too much can lead to heart trouble. This metaphor may have escaped me slightly.

I take grammar and punctuation seriously. I mean, I used to be a lot more, ah, passionate about it, to the point I once actually suffered epistaxis after reading a sentence with subject-verb disagreement. I got over it after concluding that, ultimately, these things are communication aids, not rules to be harshly enforced. There's no excuse for poor spelling, of course.

In actual on-topic news, Jared Kushner is under FBI scrutiny relating to Russian meddling in the 2016 election. He's not being investigated for any known or suspected criminal activity; they just think he might have some relevant information.

I'm reminded of John Oliver's video on Jared and Ivanka, where it was pointed out that no-one seems to know anything about Jared. Have you ever heard him speak? He's just sort of there, silently present in the background all the time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:19:56 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: May 25, 2017, 08:39:50 pm »

Spoiler: Deserts (click to show/hide)

In addition to the grammar rules of English existing to be learned and then immolated in the fires of the mind; what I posted is a complete sentence anyway because it's a response to another statement. If one asked "Why spelling Al divided is", and I responded "Intended to keep America and Britain from nuking each other", nobody would object. Communication on a forum is, as the name suggests, more speech based than literature based regardless of the medium.
While your original sentence is correct, your example as to why is actually completely bogus. First of all, questions in English use a different structure than statements, so it'd be "Why is spelling Al divided?". And the actual reason has nothing to do with questions anyway. There are some things that are omittable in casual speech and those include a simple subject which is preceded by a more complex descriptor. The most formally correct way to do this (what you should put on a test) would be "That's only a political declaration. Much like the legal value of Pi, it's intended to keep America and Britain from nuking each other." But that doesn't mean that your wording is wrong, this is the level on which language is an art rather than a science.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SAYING YOU DON'T INDICATE PUNCTUATION VIA GESTURAL CUES WHEN YOU SPEAK?!?!
I normally indicate such things via timing and intonation. I think this is typical across most/all dialects.

The fact that fragments are allowable in general conversation is not justification for their use in any form other than general conversation.
You may notice, though, that what we're engaging in now falls under the rather wide umbrella of general conversation.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: May 25, 2017, 09:44:14 pm »

Punctuation/grammar/syntax/semantics derails happen every so often don't they.

Meanwhile..... the Montana special election for the seat vacated by Ryan Zinke is happening and the polls are coming in.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 3573