Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4156502 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6405 on: May 17, 2017, 12:17:57 am »

If anything does happen, it will be because there is a qualitative difference about what the most recent Comey thing: it looks very much like obstruction of justice. The Comey firing, in-and-of-itself, isn't shady; it's only shady contextually. The Flynn thing is different, which changes coverage/reactions. More importantly, perhaps, it's not so much "if the accusation is right, Trump is stupid/dumb/evil/lazy/lying/etc" as "If the accusation is right, Trump might be impeached."

Upside: we're getting launch loops, bitches!
Downside: I'll be running a side project using orbital platforms to sterilize Florida, New Jersey, Ohio, and Southern California.
Uhh Max? You seemed to have messed up your comment here. You accidentally put two upsides and no downsides.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: May 17, 2017, 03:32:44 am »

I figure some people for whatever reason might be opposed to murder on that scale, possibly even the ones that live there.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: May 17, 2017, 04:51:05 am »

Nor is monarchy the opposite of democracy. The opposite of democracy is "anything not a democracy".

What about democratic monarchies?

Republic isn't technically a democracy, but I also wouldn't say it's the opposite of one. Feudal absolutist monarchy seems close to at least one opposite of democracy. Not that I'm sure why it being an opposite matters.

Feudal and absolutist are kind of mutually exclusive though. Feudal implies delegation of power and lawgiving to other entities.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: May 17, 2017, 08:30:16 am »

Putin says he is willing to share the Trump-Lavrov transcript to Congress. Riiiiiggghhttt, I'd expect it to be heavily edited.

I wonder how damning it is that Putin is trying to cover Trumps ass here. Though it probably just appears like he is covering for Trump and he most likely has his own motivations for doing so. Either way, it seems a bit suspect that Putin is suddenly being friendly.

The WH needs to release their own transcript because it's the only one that can be trusted, as oxymoronic as that sounds.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: May 17, 2017, 08:54:15 am »

Opportunity for the Russian evidence to be exactly as much or as little incriminating as they want it to be, pending reciprocity from Trump, and nothing that Trump can do about it but go along with it. And, meanwhile, we're all left wondering if it's worse or better than it seems, depending on our own preconceptions and wishful-thinkings.

Maybe it is Russian altruism to help out. But nobody besides those directly involved can be sure.  Can't even "trust but verify" without further sources that will be even less universally accepted...  Can't we just lynch Trump, already, and hope to get an accurate roleflip before the night phase?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53:43 am »

Russian altruism
Is that like "military intelligence"?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: May 17, 2017, 12:47:31 pm »

I figure some people for whatever reason might be opposed to murder on that scale, possibly even the ones that live there.
Hey, as long as you give me enough notice to gtfo and set me up with a nice studio apartment with fast internet in DC, I'm all aboard.  We're gunna be underwater in a few decades anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: May 17, 2017, 12:49:31 pm »

Has anyone tried yet to walk up to Trump and sting him with a needle, to see if he is human or hot air balloon?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: May 17, 2017, 01:29:50 pm »

Sounds like a good way to get shot.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: May 17, 2017, 04:13:41 pm »

Trump: "No politician in history has been treated worse."

Even if I believed that kind of absolute statement, isn't it just possible that maybe you're being treated badly because you're involved in a whole host of really, really bad scandals and doing nothing to inspire confidence in your leadership?

I think I'm about outraged out. I just want this to be over, and it's only May in year one.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: May 17, 2017, 04:13:52 pm »

Dayum, Erdogan.

The mayor of Washington, Muriel Bowser is outraged after bodyguards of Erdogan attacked American protestors with brute force, despite US police forces ordering them not to.
She calls it "a violent attack on a peaceful demonstration, and an insult to the values of DC and our rights as Americans."

The incident occured outside the Turkish embassy. When Erdogan arrived there after meeting with Trump, he was met with protestors shouting anti Erdogan statements.
According to the Turksih state media, Erdogan's bodyguards dispersed the protest, because the US police wouldn't listen to the Turkish demand to do so.

There's videos on Twitter showing black uniformed men kicking and hitting people who are already on the ground. US police officers trying to stop them are ignored.
9 people were wounded in the incident. 2 people have been arrested. It's unclear who have been arrested, if it's the bodyguards or the protestors. Probably the latter, because the presidential bodyguards would have diplomatic immunity.

Washington Chief of Police has already acknowledged that the Turkish security guards will likely get away unpunished, because of their diplomatic status.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/bodyguards-erdogan-vallen-betogers-in-washington-aan-vs-verontwaardigd~a4495487/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V98Bdv2YtaA

https://youtu.be/PLzgtpd5D3s  << bbc video clearly shows the securith guards kicking people already down and ignoring US police

Inb4 Trump activates article 5 for an invasion of Turkey. I mean, it was a foreign attack on US citizens on US soil, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiLBAMM0-4 somewhere near the end of this video you see an elder diplomat come out and tell US police they are not allowed to touch them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:27:54 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: May 17, 2017, 04:26:41 pm »

I just going to say it. Fuck Turkey.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: May 17, 2017, 04:33:42 pm »

Inb4 Trump activates article 5 for an invasion of Turkey. I mean, it was a foreign attack on US citizens on US soil, right?
Only when strategically advantageous.

Also, Trump seems to be in love with dictators and dictator-wannabes, so he'd probably personally buff Erdogan's shoes for this. Or at least invite him golfing.

But the invasion of Turkey would allow them to activate Article 5, trigger attacks on the United States by all members of NATO, which would trigger Article 5 on all members of NATO, requiring NATO action against all NATO members which would . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: May 17, 2017, 04:35:39 pm »

I'm really have a having a hard time believing this actually happened in the US. Watching some more videos, I'm completely flabberghasted at the scene. US police are powerless, Turkish state bullies just treating the US like their own country.

Any normal president would at the very least turn this into a major diplomatic incident. Haven't heard Trump respond yet, but I suspect he's gonna do something like what greatorder just said.

It's about time that diplomatic immunity laws got revised anyhow, to not extend to the entire retinue of gorillas and chauffeurs.

EDIT: I do hope they give very strict medical attention to the lady sitting on the ground. She's kicked hard in the back of the head, and seems to at the very least have a concussion. Looks like she has no idea who, where or when she is. If I were a medic I'd classify it as risk of brain aneurism, make CT scan and monitor 24/7 for at least 2 days.

Inb4 Trump starts arming IS to fight Turkey
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:44:24 pm by martinuzz »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: May 17, 2017, 04:44:43 pm »

Unfortunately I doubt there will be any response. One of the infamous qualities of the UN in NYC is that the huge number of people with immunity are riddled with folks who conscientiously break traffic laws and steal shit because they can't be detained. There's no real force outside occasional outrage that would convince politicians to do anything about this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 3563