Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4148323 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Heh, yeah.  I didn't think much of it.  I see the generation thing as cultural, though.  I wouldn't consider most of the people my own age that I grew up around to be millennials, because the internet didn't enter into their daily lives until they were young adults.

My family got internet when I was 13, and I was immediately spending time on it daily, making friends around the world.  This sets me really far apart in culture and worldview from most people my own age or older, and much closer to people a few years younger than me.  Hence why I identify myself as millennial.  Not so much due to the year I was born.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I became a technology worker early. (My childhood job was literally working part time as a bench monkey in a repair shop)

I came to be cynical about technology, before it even went mainstream. LOL.  How's that for hipsterism? LOL

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I came to be cynical about technology, before it even went mainstream. LOL.  How's that for hipsterism? LOL
I'm sure by I could Archie a public FTP site hosting a list of BBSs connectable over X25 that we could discuss this shared attitude of ours on. And if we can't Kermit our profile PCXs in and out in 7-bit .boo format, there's always the fall-back to VT100-compatible animated ANSI-art... ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sure I have an account on one of those old BBS systems still, you just need to give it the finger.  Besides, if Kermit doesnt work (Damn substandard terminal clients!) there's always XMODEM instead. Just dont send me any .PICTs-- So damned hard to open on non-mac classics.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:20:35 am by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I was the first one in my faculty to bring a PC to take notes.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was the first to bring a laptop (Compaq armada 1530dm-- factory refurb, second hand) to school to take notes in my highschool. Teachers did not like having the tech in the classroom. Oh, how times have changed.  Not like it was really capable of playing games anyway-- thing was a REAL dog. It could BARELY handle MS Office 97.

Like I said, I used to work as a bench monkey part time in my teeny years, so I managed to score one from work after it was traded in by a customer, on the cheap.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

My family had a couple computers before the one they got internet for, and I played around on those, too.  My dad did lots of IT stuff for his work, and brought home various tech.  I was too young to retain gritty details about it all, but he taught himself programming and 3d graphics in the late 80's/early 90's for presentations to the FDA.

I was never as technical as you guys, myself.  But I was playing Nethack on some Mac computer at 8 years old, and stubbornly spent many hours playing Syndicate on that computer as well, even though it would slow to a crawl of 1 frame every couple seconds after I brainwashed too many citizens.  My dad also brought me in to work with him a couple times to play Doom on their local network on holidays when he was required to be there, but the office population was sparse and no-one had intentions of working.

But when we got our first actual home PC that was legitimately ours and not some stuff Eli Lily was intending to throw away, I sort of commandeered it.  I was severely ostracized at school, and meeting people online brought me relief.  All I remember is it had a 100mhz pentium, 100 mb hard drive, and a 28.8 modem.  With that, I expanded my interest in roguelikes, traded mp3s over IRC before Napster, and would sneak on in the middle of the night to talk to people from the other side of the world.  I also settled on the name SalmonGod in that first year.  And played thousands of hours of Quake, and its countless mods, where most of the standards of 3d game design and a majority of the people who worked in game development for the next 15 years have their origins.

I'm not as into the guts of things as weird... but the internet is definitely my cultural roots, and I'm far, far more capable on a computer than the vast majority of people.  Enough to be the person everyone goes to in my workplace for computer questions/issues before calling corporate I.T., and have even showed them up a couple times.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As cool as this tangent is (and it is cool), I suppose we can try to get back on topic.

Ex-acting AG Sally Yates is going to be testifying to Congress later today, for example.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a proposed topic? Or did congress just get bored and demand entertainment?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Primarily what and when she told the WH about Flynns ties to Russia, but I suppose other Russia questions and other stuff might come up.

Also, 538 did a thing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile

John Oliver net neutrality v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vuuZt7wak

Was a pretty solid episode. The prop cup made me lol.

it sounds like the new director of the FCC is a real nightmare. isnt there a conflict in interest to have a former verizon lawyer run the FCC?

If you dont have time to watch a 20 minute YT video - go to www.gofccyourself.com , a website hosted by John Oliver which takes you directly to where you can complain to the FCC. just hit express and state your business.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

John Oliver net neutrality v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vuuZt7wak

Was a pretty solid episode. The prop cup made me lol.

it sounds like the new director of the FCC is a real nightmare. isnt there a conflict in interest to have a former verizon lawyer run the FCC?

If you dont have time to watch a 20 minute YT video - go to www.gofccyourself.com , a website hosted by John Oliver which takes you directly to where you can complain to the FCC. just hit express and state your business.
Isn't it a conflict of interest for the head of the EPA to be a climate change denying oil exec who sued the EPA to eliminate its regulations? Isn't it a conflict of interest for the head of the department of education to be someone with a lifelong passion for privatizing the education system? Isn't it a conflict of interest to have a president who makes millions by forcing the government to rent out entire sections of his expensive properties? The entire republican government is corrupt from top to bottom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Don't forget the Secretary of State who's the former CEO of the world's most powerful energy transnational which essentially conducts diplomacy like a nation, and who has extensive ties with the Russian government through the oil business.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 3563