Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4150103 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I'm from '78. I was raised by my grandmother, without a computer. Kids should go play outside. My dad however, was a computer freak from the early days (like, he taught himself to program in just about every new computer language that was created, and he even worked as a tester for the very first version of Pascal (on the ZX Spectrum, yes, Pascal is that old), and when I went to visit him I fondly remember playing on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum 64k with him. I remember text based adventures like 'the Hobbit', and 'the Colossal Big Adventure'. Not much later, he got a Sinclair QL, followed by an 8086XT. Makes me wonder, whatever happened to Sinclair? That XT later became my first computer, when he donated it to me when I came to live with him, and he bought a 80286. This was around the time the first version of windows became available. We tried it and deleted it quickly afterward. DOS much better. When Windows NT came out however, my dad switched to that. I had that 8086 for a long time. My next computer was a (80)486, followed by a Pentium 2. I switched from desktop computer to laptop once I went to university. Internet indeed wasn't really a thing yet in the early nineties. I remember waiting for 78 hours for a pc version of streetfighter to finish downloading on something worse than a 14k4 dial up modem. I think the total download was 12 megabytes or something. That was considered quite a large game back then. Things took forever back in the days. Not to mention your average level loading screen wait time haha.

One thing I did miss out on however, were the consoles. I never had a commodore / atari / nintendo / PS1. In my university years, I got a PS2 though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:41:43 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep. '77. I did grow up with a computer in the house, copped a lot of crap about being a nerd because of it. It's kind of amusing that all the cool kids all have computers these days. Mobiles became common round here about the 90s I think? Internet a bit later. It was around of course before then, just not a common thing.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Early nineties saw 'buzzers', before mobiles. These were mobile devices that could be paged, and they would display the telephone number of the person who tried contacting you, so you could call them back. Buzzers faded into obscurity not much later, when mobile phones were introduced.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Early nineties saw 'buzzers', before mobiles. These were mobile devices that could be paged, and they would display the telephone number of the person who tried contacting you, so you could call them back. Buzzers faded into obscurity not much later, when mobile phones were introduced.
A buzzing device that could be paged is a "Pager", over here, and "Beeper" as a secondary term (with connotations of being a hospital doctor's alert device, but might have been influenced by imported US dramas featuring trauma ward staff reacting to an emergency (where someone like me would see more fictional depiction of them than anywhere else).

I've given some of my computer credentials before, in other contexts. I was lucky (!) enough to get in on the ground floor with the Web, having had a handful of years of Internet use before that (with sure knowledge that I was a n00b at the game, it having been around for a long time before I got there) then taking a sabbatical from the online world just as it started to explode (first phase, dial-up style) amongst the everyday plebian and was busy in computing matters not so focused upon social connectivity, wearing the BTDTGT T-Shirt as everyone started noticing URLs, and missed out on the whole Web 2.0 birth (I originally got broadband to save me costs synching with Usenet!).

But then I'm definitely pre-Millennial.  I remember the Millennium mostly for all the work we needed to do to prevent all the Y2K problems that could have happened under our watch.  Which, you'll have noticed, (mostly) didn't happen.  Feel free to thank me in private, to prevent further topic-drift...  ;)

So, what about that American Politics, eh? I see that Trump has now <insert something here>, and the <insert random group of people> are all tweeting about it, demanding that he does <more/less>.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Hah! My newspaper has a cartoon on Trumpcare.
Lately it seems my newspaper's cartoonists are making more cartoons about Trump than they are making cartoons on our Dutch / EU issues.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/foto/collignon-2~p4368444/4465002/

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Hah! My newspaper has a cartoon on Trumpcare.
Lately it seems my newspaper's cartoonists are making more cartoons about Trump than they are making cartoons on our Dutch / EU issues.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/foto/collignon-2~p4368444/4465002/
Obviously. It's easier.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

Bear in mind that the standard for millennial is about early 1980s birth year, so the oldest millennial by most definitions is 47 now.  Which means according to the CDC being a millennial makes you ~35% more likely to be mentally ill than the general population.

Eeh, no
-Early 1980 births are not 'millennials' per se (though tbh I personally see myself -1984- more reflected in them as at home we were early adopters of IT, but its certainly not the standard. ) IIRC the 80s are 'generation Y'

-Someome born in 1980 would be 37, not 47
Generation Y and millennials are the same thing. Starts in 1980, ends in 2000/very early 2000s.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bear in mind that the standard for millennial is about early 1980s birth year, so the oldest millennial by most definitions is 47 now.  Which means according to the CDC being a millennial makes you ~35% more likely to be mentally ill than the general population.

Eeh, no
-Early 1980 births are not 'millennials' per se (though tbh I personally see myself -1984- more reflected in them as at home we were early adopters of IT, but its certainly not the standard. ) IIRC the 80s are 'generation Y'

-Someome born in 1980 would be 37, not 47
Generation Y and millennials are the same thing. Starts in 1980, ends in 2000/very early 2000s.

Born in '83 here (year older than ChairmanPoo there) and I consider myself millenial as I grew up in the 90's and came of age in the early 2000's.

Anyhoo, yeah, topic drift ahoy.

NK has detained another American (also with the surname of Kim). Seems like they're building up bargaining chips, wonder what Trump is going to do about those.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

The last one they kidnapped was also named Kim

So... I INSIST that maybe they're just building up for an AWESOME family reunion.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kardashian + Philby + Basinger + Wilde + Possible + Stanley Robinson = making up for the absence of Jong-nam?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

...if you were born in 1980 you aren't a fucking millenial, little shits trying to make themselves seem cooler by pulling in the late gen x crowd, fuck off with that noise, if your parents are boomers you're in gen x or they're getting some of that freaky seniorsexin' action.

Also, though it's technically Europol: Le Pen lost, and on a normal day in any other timeline we might be shocked at a hateful shitbag getting 35% of the vote, but this is not that day.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

...if you were born in 1980 you aren't a fucking millenial, little shits trying to make themselves seem cooler by pulling in the late gen x crowd, fuck off with that noise, if your parents are boomers you're in gen x or they're getting some of that freaky seniorsexin' action.

Also, though it's technically Europol: Le Pen lost, and on a normal day in any other timeline we might be shocked at a hateful shitbag getting 35% of the vote, but this is not that day.
so wait a minute.

you're telling me someone born in 2000 can be gen x, because their parents are at the super old age of their late 30s.

millennial is from 1980/81 to 1999/2000.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

My mom was born in 61, she's at the tail end of the boomers, I was born in 80, I'm at the tail end of gen x, and really millenial is such a stupid fucking name because the information generation is literally what they are, but fuck this isn't remotely the right thread for this is it?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

you're telling me someone born in 2000 can be gen x, because their parents are at the super old age of their late 30s.

millennial is from 1980/81 to 1999/2000.
Holy shit, I just checked it up and he's right.

So yeah. Turns out we're millennials. Go figures

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Generations are 20 years, the usual start dates are the end of WWII in 1945. Boomers are 45-65, Gen-X is 65-85, Millienials/Y is 85-2005, Gen-Z are kids just starting to hit the teen years now so we don't know much about them except they're kids who don't remember before Facebook, Youtube, Twitter even existed.

One thing that I've noticed is that people tend to want to center their "generation" around themselves and limit it to 5 years either side. But then you have to stretch other people's generation to be like 30+ years long, which is just offloading the innaccuracy of the generations concept onto other generations. We can't all be right about that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:42:14 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 386 387 [388] 389 390 ... 3563