Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4150416 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

That's some torturing of numbers equal to Twain's quote. Statistics founded on assumption based on comparing the lost coverage as a result of an unfinished bill based on the decrease in mortality in States that expanded medicaid coverage.
With the Republican plan, about 1 in 13 (7.5% of the US population) loses healthcare coverage, with the remainder stuck with worse coverage. To get those numbers (1% increase in overall deaths), you simply need to accept that having health insurance reduces your chance of death by a mere 14%. Which seems perfectly reasonable to me, unless you think a health regimen of drinking a few cups of coffee a day and hoping for the best is more effective than 21st century medicine. If you have better numbers, by all means show them.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:13:36 pm by alway »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, apparently the Senate is intending to ignore the House passed one and write their own from scratch.

They also have an even smaller margin to work with, almost no margin.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Everytime I picture the whitehouse I just imagine it burning.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

god damn it guys.

the dems have party divides too you morons, but at least they can get shit done.

get it together.

even a straight repeal with no plan at all would be better than this mess you're making. sure, it wouldn't be good governance, but at least you could say "hey job done" and save your tiny bit of dignity.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:14:32 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, I'd very much rather they don't get it together, seeing as their shitty squabbling is already causing tons of damage to everyone involved.
I think we'd all very much rather have to deal with malicious incompetent idiots fighting each other than malicious competent sociopaths working together.

Given that the republicans created extra loopholes to the "Cheat the democratic system" and still can't seem to do too too much.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

god damn it guys.

the dems have party divides too you morons, but at least they can get shit done.

get it together.

even a straight repeal with no plan at all would be better than this mess you're making. sure, it wouldn't be good governance, but at least you could say "hey job done" and save your tiny bit of dignity.
They left their dignity at the door when they tried to just up and force this shit a second time without even improving it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

god damn it guys.

get it together.

They left their dignity at the door when they tried to just up and force this shit a second time without even improving it.

Who? The Democratss or the Republicans?

The Democrats are unanimously voting against it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

That's some torturing of numbers equal to Twain's quote. Statistics founded on assumption based on comparing the lost coverage as a result of an unfinished bill based on the decrease in mortality in States that expanded medicaid coverage.
With the Republican plan, about 1 in 13 (7.5% of the US population) loses healthcare coverage, with the remainder stuck with worse coverage. To get those numbers (1% increase in overall deaths), you simply need to accept that having health insurance reduces your chance of death by a mere 14%. Which seems perfectly reasonable to me, unless you think a health regimen of drinking a few cups of coffee a day and hoping for the best is more effective than 21st century medicine. If you have better numbers, by all means show them.
The article only draws correlation, not causation.  The academic source the article uses directly says as much.  To establish causation they would have had to go a lot further (and it probably would have had to be animals instead of people).

Coffee consumption is an indicator of class.  A starbucks appearing in a neighborhood is a sure sign that the rent is going to go up.  So in a big way the crowd that drinks coffee overlaps with the crowd that has access to 21st century medicine.

Edit: The article also points out that there are things in coffee other than caffeine, and its possible some of those substances have health benefits (and would have health benefits if separate from coffee).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:10:16 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Been there, done that, then there was this tornado...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

Coffee consumption is an indicator of class.  A starbucks appearing in a neighborhood is a sure sign that the rent is going to go up.  So in a big way the crowd that drinks coffee overlaps with the crowd that has access to 21st century medicine.

Edit: The article also points out that there are things in coffee other than caffeine, and its possible some of those substances have health benefits (and would have health benefits if separate from coffee).

You can drink coffee cheaply. I get a month worth of coffee in a big canister for the cost of about two Starbucks drinks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:13:39 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

You can drink coffee for free at your local supermarket. At least my supermarket has free coffee (home brand, but really good coffee), and even a table with chairs in the middle of the store to sit down with your coffee and talk to random strangers. It's awesome.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I never really *got* coffee.  Stuff tastes like mud, I hear it's an acquired taste, but I can't imagine ever acquiring a taste for wet dirt.  Same with alcohol, though that just tastes like fire, and clears my sinuses.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

While I don't mind the taste of coffee that much, it's definitely unpleasant, and actually drinking it seems to hurt my stomach somehow.

Besides, all hot drinks are terrible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

depends on what you mean by "coffee".

There's that black disgusting stuff Americans typically drink, and then there's espresso-based european / Australian type of coffee. If you think coffee is mud go get a coffee from a cafe in Australia sometimes. That sort of stuff is generally less bitter than e.g. a hot chocolate, and is far more creamy/smooth.

What is considered a normal coffee in Australia is so far above percolator-style coffee you see in American shows/movies, that there's literally 0% market share for the American style coffee here (well you can buy a percolator for your home, but no commercial place actually serves that shit). Even truck drivers etc here are sucking down what would be considered the gourmet stuff in the USA.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:32:10 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 3563