Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241636 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... and that trump shouldn't be commander in chief, since he either didn't have the area checked for non-combatants or didn't care. So far as that scenario goes. I'd be willing to try squishing them together and seeing if they cancel out, though, if we're doing this kind of conjecture.

E: Honestly, I think my next check is to see whether the russian PM was correct about the congressional approval thing. After attempting a nap, if I don't forget/get distracted. If they were, it'd put much less ambiguity on whether what he did was a violation of american law and/or executive power.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:38:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Oh yea definately.  Even though I approve of the strike itself I'm a bit concerned about this whole congressional approval thing.  This is however the first I heard of it being a requirement outside of straight up war declarations.

And all these strikes of opportunity that came up in recent years and were acted on, I'd be very surprised if every one of them had time to get congress approval.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

They're apparently capable of giving retroactive approval, for what it's worth. Still. Right ways and wrong ways and all that. Forgiveness instead of permission is not something we want the goddamn POTUS invoking in relation to potential acts of war and definite acts of international relations fuckup.

E: And if I had to guess, it would probably be more for the initial act of aggression rather than pursuing a continuing campaign or whathaveyou. No doubt it could be done regardless, though, too, if for example a president decided to order missile attacks on someone we weren't in particularly open conflict with and wanted some legitimacy that wasn't strictly granted by the technical executive powers they were granted as part of their position.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:57:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Warning - while you were typing 11 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
That's why you don't aggravate your opponent with small shit like this. You either avoid war, or commit to it.
This is how I approach social situations in real life. I put up with anything, but when I get mad I'm going to tear you apart. And I have. It's not fun for anyone. Also a Machiavelli point: never injure, either leave someone be or destroy them utterly. But as Machiavelli would love to remind us, it's not so simple. Examples don't always hold.
In terms of credibility the US has always had more when it comes to diplomacy. Now though, with Trump administration is essentially handling diplomacy the way Russia always has (bluff your ass off, threaten use of force), they're probably less capable of achieving any sort of diplomatic solution with Russia because we're playing at their level. And so instead they'll double down on the harsh worlds, bluffs and eventual use of force.
That's an interesting argument. However, I'd like to just say that bluffs, threats, and the like can work. I mean, the US and the USSR bluffed, threatened, argued, and sometimes even worse during the Cold War, but we all came out of it without a single war between the superpowers. Sure, there were also many cooler heads in both the US and the USSR, but plenty of hotheads too. It's complicated; it has to be, otherwise we would have had a war already. I've always liked that the lessons of the world wars contrasted so strongly with each other: one as a slow-rolling crisis from which no one was willing to back down or see the ultimate consequences; the other an ever escalating bonfire, to which appeasement was merely throwing wood on the fire. Taken together, the wars are an excellent demonstration of the dangers of overreliance on assumptions or specific examples.
Syria was and still is a quagmire. Obama understood that. It sucks that we essentially had to stand around and watch Syrians die by the thousands, but it was that or deepen our commitment to Syria, directly confront the Russian and start a new regional conflict. I've hated what's happened in Syria but without the rest of the world behind us, I was unwilling to watch the US take on direct responsibility for the whole thing. I think that's how Obama might have felt too. We like coming to people's rescue but the cost has become higher and higher every time we do so.
As a hawk myself, this has been more-or-less my position. Syria is a quagmire. I wish more conversations about it focused on that point, because it's a helluva quagmire. Now I'm of the opinion that action earlier could have prevented this, and even of the opinion that action now can get a net positive out of our efforts... But it's a hell of a commitment to make, and thus far no one has made the case for it in government. And when it comes to something like Syria, low-level escalation just keep the conflict burning: as you said, sometimes it comes down to committing or washing your hands of it. I do believe if someone (not Trump) came out, and made a serious argument for boots on the ground, explaining clearly who the administration plans on putting in power, working on this ahead of time, all that jazz, that the US could go in there and stage a humanitarian intervention that would save more lives than letting the war continue. But no one's done that. So we've effectively comitted ourselves to peace, but we're getting ansty.

The syrian ambassador credibility is akin to flat earth conspiracy advocates.
The Syrian ambassador is talking right now. He's claiming that the chemical weapons used were not from Assad, but rather from terrorists attacking Syria. He claims that the airbase the US destroyed had women and children inside, who died in the attack, placing the US in the same category as the terrorists who used the chemical weapons.

Most of these claims have already been proven untrue...but still, owch.
The level of conspiracy-theorizing that has overtaken the internet in general, and on this issue in particular, is more than a little frightening. I saw a few arguments about how this has the potential to be a sort of quid-pro-quo between Trump and Russia; I mean that's an interesting thought to entertain, but there's not really evidence for it. But then I saw the argument repeated far and wide; meanwhile conspiracies about chemical weapons are running rampant. Bay12 has actually been a hell of a lot better on this then on some contentious issues, and personally I'm quite grateful for that. It reminded me about those lines from Nate Rosegold's 14 possible outcomes of the Trump Administration; one of them involved Trump being relatively popular, but the administration plunged into quiet, conspiracies swirl from all sides, no one knows what to believe anymore and believes whatever they want to believe; that was the "dictator-lite" outcome if I recall. It's worrying.
... and that trump shouldn't be commander in chief, since he either didn't have the area checked for non-combatants or didn't care. So far as that scenario goes. I'd be willing to try squishing them together and seeing if they cancel out, though, if we're doing this kind of conjecture.

E: Honestly, I think my next check is to see whether the russian PM was correct about the congressional approval thing. After attempting a nap, if I don't forget/get distracted. If they were, it'd put much less ambiguity on whether what he did was a violation of american law and/or executive power.
You know, I remember back when Obama shocked the country by asking for permission, a lot of people were arguing about whether he even needed to ask. It was the sort of thing which would generate grumbling, and probably some unflattering campaign ads, but would have certainly been allowed by Congress since they generally supported the strikes; but as soon as Obama actually asked, Congress promptly tore itself to bits before events ultimately overtook them. Generall you don't ask because it reminds people that there needs to be an asking in the first place, which then reminds us that all these issues are thoroughly murky since the Supreme Court has never ruled on them. Generally, the issue is avoided by pretending there is no issue; which is done by acting as if there is a specific thing that is done or asked about and the understanding that the President will not go over their bounds. Perhaps a distinction that may be lost on Trump, but I doubt Republicans want to prosecute this case so-to-speak.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:57:16 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh yea definately.  Even though I approve of the strike itself I'm a bit concerned about this whole congressional approval thing.  This is however the first I heard of it being a requirement outside of straight up war declarations.

And all these strikes of opportunity that came up in recent years and were acted on, I'd be very surprised if every one of them had time to get congress approval.

The "Congressional approval for military action" angle is basically just a talking point people can drag out when they don't like something that happened. It's been around for decades but basically been ignored for its entire existence. Obama ignored it, GWB ignored it (but was afterwards approved because of 9/11 and PATRIOTISM!), Clinton ignored it, I'm pretty sure GHWB ignored it and before that it gets a bit into the "I'd have to research it to be sure on exact details" area but it was certainly ignored by presidents prior to George H W Bush.

There was flat out a call made to Russia before the strike was made so they could get any of their people away from the base. If they were backing Assad as heavily as is implied, it would be almost traitorous for Russia not to tell Syria about the strike as well. The fact that there were ANY casualties at the base, especially if there were any civilians involved, means Assad is VERY VERY likely to have either wanted them there as martyrs or just didn't care enough to tell anyone. The fact that there was reportedly a general(out of the very small numbers of actual casualties I've seen reported anywhere) that was killed that was anti-Assad suggests that he was more than happy to let those people die in the strike.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

There was flat out a call made to Russia before the strike was made so they could get any of their people away from the base. If they were backing Assad as heavily as is implied, it would be almost traitorous for Russia not to tell Syria about the strike as well. The fact that there were ANY casualties at the base, especially if there were any civilians involved, means Assad is VERY VERY likely to have either wanted them there as martyrs or just didn't care enough to tell anyone. The fact that there was reportedly a general(out of the very small numbers of actual casualties I've seen reported anywhere) that was killed that was anti-Assad suggests that he was more than happy to let those people die in the strike.

The only things we know about the damage done is that 15 aircraft were destroyed, at least some of the runways are inoperable (but not all of them), and that at least 6 people were killed. Everything else is just rumors, but the lack of damage does seem to indicate that they were ready for the strike (though only ~20 actually hit the base so that might have something to do with it too.)

Anyway here's what the Pentagon says about it if it hasn't been posted already:
https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1144598/statement-from-pentagon-spokesman-capt-jeff-davis-on-us-strike-in-syria
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The syrian ambassador credibility is akin to flat earth conspiracy advocates.
He's possibly in the same position as Comical Ali, at least in effective function...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Everything else is just rumors, but the lack of damage does seem to indicate that they were ready for the strike (though only ~20 actually hit the base so that might have something to do with it too.)
Huh. Where are you seeing reports that 2/3rds of the missiles didn't hit the base? Because if that's accurate it would be yet another bloody strange thing about the mess. Tomahawks don't seem to normally display a 30-ish percent accuracy rate.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

Everything else is just rumors, but the lack of damage does seem to indicate that they were ready for the strike (though only ~20 actually hit the base so that might have something to do with it too.)
Huh. Where are you seeing reports that 2/3rds of the missiles didn't hit the base? Because if that's accurate it would be yet another bloody strange thing about the mess. Tomahawks don't seem to normally display a 30-ish percent accuracy rate.

Russia claims that a significant number of missiles didn't reach the target. The Russians claim this is because the weapons failed in flight, but a much more likely explanation is that the Tomahawks were shot down. There have been previous incidents where Tomahawks (which are subsonic missiles that don't fly particularly high or low) were shot down by MANPADS, and Syria has pretty decent SHORAD systems.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

For the record, I am for action in Syria.....if Obama had said "Alright, we don't want to do this but we have no choice for the sake of the Syrian people" I'd have been like "*sigh* alright, let's do this." Because I had faith Obama would weigh the pro's and con's of the situation and the decision to act would come from true necessity and a lack of better options.

I don't have that confidence with Trump, and I'd rather not have him at the head of the next potential world war.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Russia claims that a significant number of missiles didn't reach the target. The Russians claim this is because the weapons failed in flight, but a much more likely explanation is that the Tomahawks were shot down. There have been previous incidents where Tomahawks (which are subsonic missiles that don't fly particularly high or low) were shot down by MANPADS, and Syria has pretty decent SHORAD systems.

Russia has also deployed significant anti-air assets in Syria as well, so it's possible the missiles were shot down by Russians themselves. But it's easier to keep up the "US AGGRESSSIONNNSSS!" propaganda if they make it seem like Syria/Russia has no defense against this sort of attack. I also have a hard time believing that Tomahawks would have a 70% failure rate in air.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

It's possible that that was Russian electronic warfare interfering with missile guidance, but I don't know enough about tomahawk missiles to know if that's reasonable
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

The war in Syria is simply beyond Trump's understanding.  You can't go into a mess like that with a "beat the bad guys" mindset.  If we do invade, we have to actually improve things, or we'll end up with yet another extended metaphor for Vietnam.  At the very least it sounds like McMaster is a voice of reason but his position doesn't carry that much actual authority AFAIK.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Because in hindsight the issue with Libya was the lack of regime change and bombing of government forces.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't forget that Russia has been deploying cruise missiles as well, in an attempt to look like it comes at least close to the reach of the US, although it wasn't a good start, or maybe it was (depending on who you trust).
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 3568