Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4241181 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Shhh, I'm playing shadow president, don't ruin my immersion.

Or rather, don't improve my immersion to the point I'm essentialy playing reality.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shhh, I'm playing shadow president, don't ruin my immersion.

Lies! France hasn't started any world wars yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

That's only because Napoleon didn't believe in steam powered ships.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Well I hope Trump voters enjoy their new war, since they ostensibly voted for a lack of restraint.

>Vote for donald duck because that crooked hillery and her emails would go to war with russia over syria
>Go to war with russia over syria anyway
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Though I do find it funny how Hillary's experience really seems to work against her.

I don't understand that logic "You are too qualified! That makes you untrustworthy! Only people who hate this country and work for themselves would ever be a lifelong politician!"

*Remembers the UK thread basically saying EXACTLY that*

Ooooooh... right... people hate politicians and want politicians who are not politicians.

Donald Trump though is like a parody of the result of that mentality... but here we are.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those bastard wrong thinkers, deluded by the Republican party. *shakes fist*
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How dare they not be clairvoyants, blaraglglgl.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Especially when they'd be so useful figuring out when Neo has actually finished saying what they were saying. ;)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, people seem to approve of the missile strike. It was targeted with a purpose, it was limited, it didn't endanger any US lives. Even Syrian (and Russian) casualties were limited or avoided because they warned them of the strike beforehand. And it doesn't force the US to commit to anything further.

It was entirely a "Ok, you want to do naughty things? We're going to make it expensive to do those naughty things." action.

Granted, repairing an old Syrian airbase equipped with legacy soviet hardware is probably less expensive than throwing 60 tomahawks at the same airbase, but as far as throwing missiles is concerned, the US pockets are deep.

I won't give Trump full credit here though. He might have made the final call but Mattis and/or other military leadership very likely pushed this as the best option available. I'd call it a shrewd move either way.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Donald Trump though is like a parody of the result of that mentality... but here we are.

No, a white, 60+ year old old-money real estate salesman, who lives in a literal gilded ivory tower with an orange spray on tan (because real sunlight is for peasants) and a mail-order russian bride is the perfect representative of the common blue collar working class of modern America.  What do you mean?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would require a psyker on the level of the god emperor of mankind at this point.

And honestly, all things considered, me thinks it was about time the US threw its weight around on the issue. Assad pretty much bent Obama's red line over and fucked it sideways with zero consequences since, and I'm not sure anyone can say that Russia-US relations weren't already touchy on the issue. Its a dangerous step, but I can't shake off the air that this situation is mostly a result of years of previous inaction on the involved parties, mainly the US.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

People seem to have forgotten that Assad was the lesser of the two evils (the worse one, being of course, ISIS) But he is still terrible. Given the information, I think this was a good strike, but in hindsight, we will see.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

That would require a psyker on the level of the god emperor of mankind at this point.

And honestly, all things considered, me thinks it was about time the US threw its weight around on the issue.
Seriously though, I'd have a lot less trouble with weight throwing if it had actually been weight throwing and not a sucker punch to fucking everybody including us. Leery as all sorts of goddamn about direct intervention (i.e. boots on ground, let's do the ME dictatorship warp again because that's been going so goddamn well and this incompetent shit is going to manage better, yeah, sure), but stepping up pressure and doing shit like this would have probably sat alright with me.

If there had been any indication it was going to fucking happen. Maybe, hey, ask congress. Say something to the public that indicates something more was about to go down than empty blustering. Stuff like that. I'unno about the rest of my countrymen but I'd really bloody appreciate some heads up before we start doing shit that has the political implications this did.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Ohh but you forget the part I didn't put in
Neo, I think that quote showcase the difficulty of discussing with you in a nutshell.

*chuckles*
Oh damn didn't even notice that. I thought it was funny because he was inflammatory, but... darn it neo.
Well I hope Trump voters enjoy their new war, since they ostensibly voted for a lack of restraint.

Isn't Trump's popularity holding steady? So the US fully supports his actions still.
Neo, are you being inflamatory? Or is this unintentional? or a clever troll?

>Vote for donald duck because that crooked hillery and her emails would go to war with russia over syria
>Go to war with russia over syria anyway
It turns out Donald Trump can't both be tougher and more feared than Obama, but also more reserved and America-first than Obama. It was a tall order, and maybe a great man could have made it work, or perhaps a great vision.

Donald Trump has no experience in government and no vision, and thus his administration is a kitchen sink with little coherence. So of course he'll end up doing the thing that basically everyone in government wanted him to do.
Ooooooh... right... people hate politicians and want politicians who are not politicians.

Now here Neo, you've hit the nail on the head.

And honestly, all things considered, me thinks it was about time the US threw its weight around on the issue. Assad pretty much bent Obama's red line over and fucked it sideways with zero consequences since, and I'm not sure anyone can say that Russia-US relations weren't already touchy on the issue. Its a dangerous step, but I can't shake off the air that this situation is mostly a result of years of previous inaction on the involved parties, mainly the US.
Now here's a devil's advocate view from a hawk: Obama made a comment, "it's a red line". It was based on basically nothing but the idea the president says stuff. he didn't sign a rule saying he'd do it, he gave his word. Then, Assad pushed him on this. SO then Obama was going to go to war (after seeking approval, which drove Congress up the wall), and then bomb syria. but then he gets an agreement with Putin in which the chemical weapons (or at least some of them) are removed from the country, which is something that airstrikes literally could not have achieved on their own. So for having made a comment once (the sort of empty threat we hear so often in geopolitcs, particular regardin human rights), he gets to remove (some) chemical weapons from the area, and can go back to thinking about not-Syria. Blessed be the peacemakers.

When phrased like that, it sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Obama gets something for nothing.

People seem to have forgotten that Assad was the lesser of the two evils (the worse one, being of course, ISIS) But he is still terrible. Given the information, I think this was a good strike, but in hindsight, we will see.
And honestly, all things considered, me thinks it was about time the US threw its weight around on the issue. Its a dangerous step, but I can't shake off the air that this situation is mostly a result of years of previous inaction on the involved parties, mainly the US.
Honestly, people seem to approve of the missile strike. It was targeted with a purpose, it was limited, it didn't endanger any US lives. Even Syrian (and Russian) casualties were limited or avoided because they warned them of the strike beforehand. And it doesn't force the US to commit to anything further.

I get the strangest feeling that if Obama did this, it would have been seen as weak. But why? I'm trying to figure out what Obama did wrong. He hit all the right notes for dovish military intervention: reluctance, seeking approval, making his case, etc. Trump just has bombs coming down days after an incident. Is it just because, after years of non-intervention, people are now open to more decisive action? Or is it something about the decisiveness of the action, or perhaps its suddenness? Or maybe the size of the chemical attack provoked it? Maybe it's just the wisdom of hindsight, such as how everyone NOW thinks pulling out of Iraq was a bad idea, even though for a few years it was the single most popular thing Obama did.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I'm trying to figure out what Obama did wrong.

It all started when he ran as a democrat.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 3567