Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4237451 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd rather we not link to white supremacists websites :P
How about if for every White Supremacist link, we also have a Black Supremacist one..?

:P

Anyways, Trump is meeting with Chinese president Xi Jingping today.
...and of course a Yello...never mind.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Clearly we need an Orange Supremacy policy. Any time you link to a white supremacy website you must also link a webpage about something very orange.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

A great example of this is environmentalism.  Ask a democrat over 45 years of age, you'll either get apathy, straight climate change denial, or "I believe in it but if someone else doesn't that's fine."  Not so for young democrats.  If I saw a democratic politician get up, say that climate change is a fact, and proceed with five minutes of creative insults for climate change deniers, I would cheer in real life.  So of course the democratic leadership, both composed of and pandering to the moderate bloc, feels hopelessly weak to me and other millennials.  To us, it seems like if our elected politicians would stand up, all as one, and get real mad about climate change deniers and the right to abortion and everything that Republican politicians get mad about, we could push the Republicans aside in a second.  It reads like the party is afraid that no one will like their liberal beliefs, so they hide behind being non-threatening instead of arguing passionately for their beliefs.  But our party leadership isn't dumb, they know that the Clinton democrats are their big vote mine, and they are actually trying to shift left.  And indeed look at Hillary, she went hella left to try and draw Bernie's base over.  So like I'm not happy with the democrats, my main complaint basically boils down to "keep doing that thing that you're doing, but with feeling this time."
As always I've gotta be the annoying fly in the whipped cream of righteousness, a... 36 (37? don't pay attention really) year old "so far out in left field I tripped over Marx just now" liberal wondering why skepticism is right wing, though really there aren't many pure skeptics over there either, but the quote above about standing and shouting insults accomplishing nothing besides putting things in an "us or them" format is apt here as well.
Similarly if what I think does not and never will matter to the people ruling over me, what use do I have for them? What stake do I have in a society where my rulers are hostile to my personal interest, in the few cases where they aren't just too indifferent to consider them?
Well... not being murdered by barbarians and having your house riddled by burning arrows is one potential reason
Such is the problem with being an anarchist, total freedom includes freedom to have your village pillaged as well.

Also, uh, somebody forgot that part of making Rick Perry the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Energy they were also supposed to invite him to NSC meetings.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@starver and dorsidwarf: I mainly just don't want us to get in trouble with Toady One and get the thread toadlocked.

Also, uh, somebody forgot that part of making Rick Perry the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Secretary_of_Energy they were also supposed to invite him to NSC meetings.

Hm, interesting. Though do you have any evidence that he actually isn't being brought into the NSC meetings?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

He was only recently included in the list of statutory attendees I think?

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/administration/eop/nsc
That lists the various secretaries who are on the council.

Here's what was briefly my local newspaper I think with a story about Bannon out Perry in: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/donald-trump-1/2017/04/05/trump-strategist-steve-bannon-removed-national-security-council

So, one would think that means he hasn't been invited this whole time... I wonder if he knew he was supposed to be?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He was only recently included in the list of statutory attendees I think?

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/administration/eop/nsc
That lists the various secretaries who are on the council.

Here's what was briefly my local newspaper I think with a story about Bannon out Perry in: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/donald-trump-1/2017/04/05/trump-strategist-steve-bannon-removed-national-security-council

So, one would think that means he hasn't been invited this whole time... I wonder if he knew he was supposed to be?

Maybe Rick Perry has just been the...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Clearly we need an Orange Supremacy policy. Any time you link to a white supremacy website you must also link a webpage about something very orange.
John Boehner for more relaxed former member of Congres 2018.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/06/522847700/senate-pulls-nuclear-trigger-to-ease-gorsuch-confirmation

Not unexpected, but neither is it entirely bad. When the Democrats regain control in 2018, this will be on our side.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/06/522847700/senate-pulls-nuclear-trigger-to-ease-gorsuch-confirmation

Not unexpected, but neither is it entirely bad. When the Democrats regain control in 2018, this will be on our side.
Doesn't help much until a SCJ dies and needs replacing. Could be another 20 years, hell with the advancement of anti aging therapies, you could be stuck with 5 conservative judges for another 100 years. I still don't get why Garland didn't get the job. Was there any rationale argument against him?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:13:12 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

The main argument against Garland was something along the lines of "OBAMA REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE". Make no mistake that after all these years the Republican establishment was and is in full breakdown crisis mode, hence why the ACHA failed with the rest of the country just watching them stab themselves over and over again shouting about liberalism and Obamacare-lite.

Also, once the Dems regain solid control every liberal Justice who's interested in retiring will be able to do so safely and be replaced by a similar person, so that's a benefit if nothing else. And as Scalia showed, just because there's a streak of them staying doesn't mean old people don't up and die without warning.

Though it is technically possible to never get a nominee, historically nearly every President does, even if they only last one term.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:19:46 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and don't forget we now have it so that being in the latter half of the presidents term apparently means we have to wait until after the election because Republican Logic(TM)::)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

It still baffles me that people keep insisting that there was any case against Merrick Garland. People come up to me and lecture about liberal justices or whatever. Nonsense. If Congress had a problem with Merrick, they should have said so by voting no on him. But vote!

It was a purely political gesture, an unconstitutional abrogation of the President's right to appoint Justices, and an attack on the system of checks-and-balances. The sheer audacity of Mitch McConnell in insisting that democrats are being unreasonable is mind-blowing, even for me. He said "We voted on every nominee in Obama's first term"; yeah that's great Mr. Toadman, are you familiar with Barack Obama's second-term?

On political news, if you aren't tired of reading about the administration's internal issues, there appears to be a war developing between the establishment and Trumpists, with Trumpists increasingly losing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:46:03 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's really amusing that these people are not even trying to cover up the quid-pro-quo nature of government. They believe because they worked on his campaign, that should automatically translate to a cushy, high-level position in government. I mean, that's how government and elections have always worked, but to hear them complaining about it like they didn't get enough froth on their Cappuccino at Starbucks is downright hilarious.

Really loving the amateur hour on display.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Hell, it's not even really how it's always worked. Previous administrations at least tried to keep that kind of thing limited to nonessential or largely harmless positions when the person in question was likely unable to manage the work involved, and/or generally made at least something of an attempt to make sure some or most of their related support staff was competent and knew what the hell they were doing. There was at least a modicum of attempt to have a functioning government, even if there was some favor trading of one sort or another.

That damn sure ain't what's happening with this one.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 3567