Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230131 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, I'm realizing I don't actually want Trump impeached.  This is so much better than Mike Pence would be.
Pence would get impeached, too. He's Manafort guy, and that means he's in the club of pro-Russian anti-American traitors.

Man... Sometimes terms sound like they come from Videogames or Pen and Paper RPGs.

"I am a 10th level politician and I cast Manafort to replenish my mana pool so that I can campaign refreshed"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, I'm realizing I don't actually want Trump impeached.  This is so much better than Mike Pence would be.
Pence would get impeached, too. He's Manafort guy, and that means he's in the club of pro-Russian anti-American traitors.

Man... Sometimes terms sound like they come from Videogames or Pen and Paper RPGs.

"I am a 10th level politician and I cast Manafort to replenish my mana pool so that I can campaign refreshed"

Nice joke there Sergarr. But anyway, we don't know that Pence actually has any Russian connections. If he does, he's kept them pretty dang well hidden.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Other than the whole was-manafort's-recommendation thing, anyway. Which is nothing direct, certainly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I thought Trump was a 0th level politician and 1st level businessman who cross-classes a bunch of the lamest performance skills to pull off bullshit because he dumped all of his stat points into bluff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought Trump was a 0th level politician and 1st level businessman who cross-classes a bunch of the lamest performance skills to pull off bullshit because he dumped all of his stat points into bluff.

Trump is really the DM's pet... he keeps derailing the campaign and yet the DM just rolls with it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-flynn-offers-to-testify-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959?mod=e2tw
The evidence he has must be pretty damning if he thinks its worth the immunity. Hopefully, he won't have a sudden case of polonium indigestion.
._.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The white house has announced it's going after net neutrality, because you know "overreach". Can't link the nyt article because I'm on my phone right now.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-flynn-offers-to-testify-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959?mod=e2tw

Now I'm not on mobile, the thing that vaguely annoys me about this story is that I listen to a podcast Shane Harris hosts (Rational Security, well worth a listen) and he didn't drop any hints of this story or even bring up the rumours from the last week during today's episode. What is the point of listening to an insider NatSec podcast if not to get insider stories before they publish? In revenge have a reddit post that quotes the article in full.

Anyway, it's been clear for a while that Flynn has probably committed crimes by not disclosing sources of foreign income, particularly from foreign governments. Particularly his work as a lobbyist for Turkey attempting to get a high profile dissident deported, possibly bypassing the legal extradition process (so kidnapping). Notably Turkey has suggested that Gülen's deportation is now agreed with the administration and on the agenda for an upcoming US/Turkey meeting (including rumours that Gülen has bought a Canadian ranch and is likely to flee the US if not deported immediately).

That may seem distant from the Russia rumours, but it is very clear evidence that he failed to disclose work as a foreign agent, which is a clear and easy to prove crime. Calling for immunity means he has something bigger to give over. That may still not be huge, but it must be something.

Of course the are all of Flynn's ties to Russia and payments from RT and other Russian organisations mentioned in the article, which could be even more substantial, but the Turkey thing is the best documented publicly so far and the thing that made me first believe the immunity deal rumour.

If this story holds up, fear the snowball.

Another Fun story that may be somewhat related, Nunes' sources have been revealed.

One works in the White House Counsels office, which just holy shit. Your one job is to protect the executive branch from legal problems...

The other is a member of the NSC appointed by Flynn who McMaster tried to fire but was blocked by Trump after Bannon and Kushner's intervention. So holy shit.

The white house has announced it's going after net neutrality, because you know "overreach". Can't link the nyt article because I'm on my phone right now.

The story. This was largely expected, and I can understand the timing. It is likely an 'easy' legislative win after their healthcare failures. And that is a sad fact that may well be proved wrong if people can mobilise well enough in the next few days.

I haven't drank enough for this shit and still drank too much for having work in the morning.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The evidence he has must be pretty damning if he thinks its worth the immunity. Hopefully, he won't have a sudden case of polonium indigestion.

Agreed, it must also be something pretty compelling to throw his former boss under the bus (or other vehichle of choice). Though it could be simple survival, considering how much potential trouble he is already in. Didn't someone say earlier that the FBI generally grants immunity to people when they are going after bigger fish? Theres no bigger fish after the NSC chief than the President.

Vox article on all of that with Nunes

Meanwhile, the WH has suddenly offered to show the Senate and House intel committees to view the documents. The Senate has since said 'No thanks, we'll use our own in-house intel safebox'. Rep. Schiff's response to it

Also, CNN has said something about something cryptic about 'follow the trail of dead Russians'. Not sure what is up with that. This whole thing has become something straight out of a spy novel. Real Life being stranger than fiction and all that.

Oh, and, the Russian hacking attempts are still ongoing. Why the heck aren't we punching back? Digitially or otherwise.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

American cyberwarfare doctrine is a clusterfuck of indecision currently.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Largely because we'd be setting a precedent I think (at least that's what Obama's admin was concerned about). Which would be understandable, but still, gotta punch back. Counterpunch like Trump does, ya know. Digital warfare is a really grey and diffuse area right now on what's allowed and what action okays what reaction.

ALso, NC passed a non-repeal 'repeal' of the bathroom law.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Also, CNN has said something about something cryptic about 'follow the trail of dead Russians'. Not sure what is up with that. This whole thing has become something straight out of a spy novel. Real Life being stranger than fiction and all that.
Not much up with that, nor all that cryptic. There's seven or eight or so fairly important/notable (for various reasons and to various degrees) russian figures that have ended up dead under perhaps questionable circumstances in the last little bit. CNN's basically saying to dig up who these people had been interacting with, and see what kind of stateside connections fall out. Should be fairly obvious that the insinuation is that one or more of the current administration is in bed with someone (*coughputincough* *hackrussianoligarchshack* ah, sorry, something caught in my throat for a second there...) who's been going on something of a murder spree to cover tracks/tie up loose ends.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not much up with that, nor all that cryptic. There's seven or eight or so fairly important/notable (for various reasons and to various degrees) russian figures that have ended up dead under perhaps questionable circumstances in the last little bit. CNN's basically saying to dig up who these people had been interacting with, and see what kind of stateside connections fall out. Should be fairly obvious that the insinuation is that one or more of the current administration is in bed with someone (*coughputincough* *hackrussianoligarchshack* ah, sorry, something caught in my throat for a second there...) who's been going on something of a murder spree to cover tracks/tie up loose ends.

Maybe the Russian version of Jason Bourne, heh.

Anyways, found this somewhat juicy stuff on Pence: Found in the Pence section of Vox Sentences (basically their roundup-of-the-day, plus some miscellenia)

But Pence has also found himself in the spotlight for a personal reason: A Washington Post profile of Pence’s wife unearthed a factoid from 2002, when Mike Pence told the Hill he never eats alone with a woman other than his wife and that he only attends events with alcohol if she is by his side. [Washington Post / Ashley Parker]

The anecdote from the profile provoked outrage, with many arguing that such a policy was de facto workplace discrimination, since no female professional or politician could ever hope to build the kind of working relationship with Pence that a man could. That’s especially problematic given that Pence is second in line for POTUS — and several world leaders, not to mention countless other important figures, are women. [Washington Post / Paul Waldman]

Full text from the WaPo articles for those that don't want to bother with the paywall, both are somewhat lengthy:

Spoiler: Paul Waldman's article (click to show/hide)

It goes some ways towards explaining his views on women actually.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

We will build a great firewall.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 3567