Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229772 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

Frumple, I'm not attacking liberals or conservatives here. Pretty much everybody here can agree that the Republican and Democratic parties are both corporate trash. Yeah, the Republicans tend to be a lot more sledgehammer-y about their infringements of civil rights, but the Dems serve as a token opposition at best.

Again, as someone who really stopped caring about democracy a while ago, attacking the super crap parties is not attacking people who identify with those parties.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I didn't say you were, and I'm not sure where you got that I said you were attacking anyone. In any case, no, you're not attacking anyone per se, you're just trying to draw out the tired conservative/anti-government nonsense that the two parties are functionally indistinguishable. Which is bullshit on many, if not necessarily all, issues, often times to damn significant degrees. "Corporate trash" manifests significantly differently between the two parties, especially in relation to those of us corporations are trying to exploit. Who, y'know. One of the parties actually tries to protect with something approaching regularity, even if there's still much room for improvement.

It's not about attacking anyone, it's that you're whitewashing what's actually happening in this bloody country. As someone who started getting really pissed off at our media and political narratives in the last few years, it's something that's significantly and increasingly friggin' annoying. It's ignorance at best, and all too damn often in this country it's a straight up malicious attempt to excuse the GOP's asshattery.

You want to call the parties crap or corporate trash, whatever. Maybe don't call them the same sort of crap or corporate trash, because they're seriously not. Spooling out that message for the Nth time is a good chunk of why the parties are in the state that they're in to begin with.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Useful tool.

That's pretty fun. I was surprised to see so many tiny edits for little grammar things (along with a bizarre insertion of a line about celibacy being on the rise in "secular circles"), but it didn't take long to find a flagrantly scummy one.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Diggin' the hate from both sides on that.

Just too hard to leave the bad, and then add the good beside it, so that both sides get voice. No. Gotta go on an edit war between doom and gloom, and rose colored glasses.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Our Dutch Secretary of State for Environmental affairs, Sharon Dijksma, has announced, in response to Trump's decision to roll back Obama's environmental plans, and go full coal, that she will organise an international summit this summer, in the United States, called 'Climate First'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

It's funny the things that make you feel old.

Democrats are in favor of internet privacy huh?

Notice the date this was announced? 1993?

I mean, yeah, all of them weren't in favor, but Bubba and Mr. Internets were.

Honestly use data and such isn't even on my radar of concern. Any of you had a site hijack your mouse before? Like I can't tell if it was just a bot or someone with actual access, but I've had a site get spoofed in for somewhere I was trying to go and when it loaded up my mouse cursor casually scrolled up to the address bar, when I tried to make it stop, assuming it was just a buggy bit of wiring or something it started resisting, I tried to hit the X button and it fought more aggressively, and when it clicked in the bar it started typing something and I alt-f4'D out, killed everything with a net connection, and started digging through to figure out what the fuck that was.

Haven't had it happen again, but I was using W7 for school puposes back then and I've been much more proactive about what sites can do/access/see/etc plus on linux ever since, and honestly if someone said this happened to them I'd probably call bullshit. I still don't know exactly how it happened1, but it was the scariest shit I've ever seen online, and I've spent hours reading /x/ greentexts! This wasn't long before the "warning: this is a known attack page" stuff started becoming common, but either way from then on when I did use windows for anything it was inside of a VM I could kill at will.

Suffice to say there is a big deep ocean of shit to actually worry about under the frothy surface layer we usually interact with, and this vote is definitely the sort of thing to haunt these congresscritters with when they come up for reelection, but it isn't actually a significant change from the sort of behavioral logging most readily accept from facebook and google.

1 ᴬ ᶫᵒᵒᵏ ᵃʳᵒᵘᶰᵈ ˢᵘᵍᵍᵉˢᵗˢ ᴵ ᵖᵘᶫᶫᵉᵈ ᵈᵒʷᶰ ᵃ ʳᵉᵐᵒᵗᵉ ᵃᶜᶜᵉˢˢ ᵗʳᵒʲᵃᶰ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵖᵒᵒᶠ ᵖᵃᵍᵉ, ʷʰᶦᶜʰ ᶠᶦᵗˢ ᵗʰᵉ ʷᵃʸ ᵗʰᵉ ᵐᵒᵘˢᵉ ˢᵉᵉᵐᵉᵈ ᵗᵒ ᶠᶦᵍʰᵗ, ʳᵃᵗʰᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᶰ ᵗʰᵉ ᵍᶫᶦᵗᶜʰᵉˢ ᴵ ᵘˢᵉᵈ ᵗᵒ ᵍᵉᵗ ʷᶦᵗʰ ᵐʸ ᴾˢ˛ ᶜᵒᶰᵗʳᵒᶫᶫᵉʳ > ᵐᵒᵘˢᵉ ˢᵒᶠᵗʷᵃʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶦᶰᵍ ᵗʰᵉ ᵐᵒᵘˢᵉ ʳᵘᶰ ᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵉ ᶫᵉᶠᵗ⋅

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

LMGTFY doesnt actually move your cursor, it just disables it to a red circle, and is incredibly blatant about whats happening, and doesnt touch the address bar.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Last time I fell for one, (the used a URL shortener), it did in fact move my mouse.

It did so using some simple javascript that does this very thing. (a fun thing we did in JS class was to make a window with a close button you cannot click on, because it moves your mouse away as soon as you get near it.)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Pretty much everybody here can agree that the Republican and Democratic parties are both corporate trash.
Not everybody. Republican party is corporate trash aiming for quick and immediate profits, Democratic party is a reasonable proponent of sustainable development policies.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Suffice to say there is a big deep ocean of shit to actually worry about under the frothy surface layer we usually interact with, and this vote is definitely the sort of thing to haunt these congresscritters with when they come up for reelection, but it isn't actually a significant change from the sort of behavioral logging most readily accept from facebook and google.
It kinda' is, though. There's a fairly notable difference between a particular website logging and the ISP doing it. Hard to puzzle out a good analogy, but it'd be something like the difference between being filmed when you drive up to someone else's house, and having the roads you drove lined with hidden cameras.* Surveillance on the service level is a titch less of a concern than surveillance on the infrastructure level. You usually can choose services, when it comes down to it. ISP is not quite so negotiable, particularly if "without" isn't really something you can live with.

*And US wise, we've actually been pretty adamant in a lot of the places the latter largely isn't kosher even in specific areas with overt cameras, never mind everywhere, even for sodding law enforcement, much less ostensibly private companies.

---

... on related subjects, anyone know of a resource that breaks down the historical congressional voting record on privacy (or just specific policy areas in general)? Turns out it seems to be something of a pain in the ass to find summarized records of voting trends in that area. Or any data that wouldn't require digging through several hundred/thousand difference sources to just to have in one place, never mind actually seeing what the leans are.
Ask not!
Ask!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

I think the EFF might be a good place to start looking.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Is idea. They don't seem to have that sort of information, though, at the least not somewhere particularly accessible. Most of the stuff they seem to have on their site is more individual issues or events, rather than stuff that's more... broad? I guess. Can't think of a better word. They're an activist group, not so much statistics wonk. Doesn't seem like that kind of data collation is something they're particularly inclined towards. Or I can't find it at the moment, which wouldn't much surprise me considering the amount and quality of sleep I got last night this morning.
Ask not!
Ask!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last time I fell for one, (the used a URL shortener), it did in fact move my mouse.

It did so using some simple javascript that does this very thing. (a fun thing we did in JS class was to make a window with a close button you cannot click on, because it moves your mouse away as soon as you get near it.)
Tab key to the control and press enter.

(Who uses a mouse, when keys work better? Obviously all the people who don't mess with the keyboard interface, as well, in such spoofs.)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

(Who uses a mouse, when keys work better? Obviously all the people who don't mess with the keyboard interface, as well, in such spoofs.)
I remember being taught the tools of such pretentiousness by my high school Comp Sci teacher. :P
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 3567