Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229758 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would be funny if Congresspeople started getting wierd ads like that due to the new legislation.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Someone needs to explain this to Trump in terms he'd understand. Would he allow anyone to profit off of the Trump name and his personal information without his express consent? No, he wouldn't. Completely setting aside the  privacy issue, why should anyone, Americans or otherwise, have to allow someone to sell their information? Corporate trade secrets are protected, business intelligence is secrets and are protected, but your information, which is worth a ton of money to advertisers? Not protected. Everyone should effectively have copyright on their own personal information and should be able to sell it and license it how they want, or it should be in the books that it's illegal to sell it without your consent. Except people are too stupid and lazy to think of it that way. When what you do on the internet became valuable to advertisers was the time to assert people's right to control and profit from their own personal information. But no one was thinking that far ahead. And now the advertising world essentially thinks they're entitled to this data. If I'm going to be shit spammed with ads that an algorithm thinks I would fall for because of my actual traffic data, and some jerk is going to make money off it whether I buy anything or not, then I want a fucking cut of that.

Oh well. Guess it's time to start digging in to the next level of identity protection on the web.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:45:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

And it only helps so much, when you're dealing with ISP level data gathering. Stuff still gets picked up going out. For what little it's worth, the regulation itself wasn't particularly in effect and had only been in place a few months ago regardless. Things are back to being more or less no different than it was around November or thereabouts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

OK, they sell targeting.

How much does Comcast and pals want, for access to serve my "advertisements" to congress preferentially?

You see, once I start getting my code executed on their computers, with the absurd tracking cookie rules we have, I can tag and track the congress critters myself. And yes, that is exactly how a JavaScript in a targeted advert can and does work today.  Cross site tracking is already a thing.

What's that Mr congressman? You think I tracked you specifically? Dont be silly Mr congressman, I tracked all of the senators, not just you! The US senate is my target demographic! Your data is fully anonymized, I assure you!

Would you be interested in meeting other senators who have the same "special interests" as you? Also, this week only, 50% off rubber nun suit rentals!

How much of my money do you need to take to make Mike Pence see nothing but gay dating services?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

I don't want to say "oh it doesn't matter that we're losing our privacy," but did anyone actually think they had any privacy left at all? This is America folks, not a free country.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

I'd much rather it was a free country, so please point me to the tyrant so I can dethrone them.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

I don't want to say "oh it doesn't matter that we're losing our privacy," but did anyone actually think they had any privacy left at all? This is America folks, not a free country.
I'm torn between uproarious laughter, facepalming, and just sort of sighing slowly.

Please, direct me to a similarly wealthy and unified country with more freedom that isn't in Scandinavia.

America's pretty great. Definitely needs improvement, but I'm glad I was born here. I mean, if I'd been raised in Japan and knew two languages fluently, that'd be cool too, but still.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Though yeah, privacy issues have been a problem for a while now. Which is why the regulation that was there was a step in the right direction and all those shits that voted to ditch it can go bugger themselves with a broadcasting antenna.
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Well, I've been reading into it a bit and there's an interesting, if concerning theme. The repealed regulations were new, hadn't really had time to do anything yet and on a practical level their repeal isn't overly consequential; but at the same time, this is also the prelude to a much nastier fight over Net Neutrality, which Trump's FCC is likely to target.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

If by likely you mean expressly and repeatedly stated it was going to happen, heh. The new FCC head fellow is a bucket of bought and paid for dicks. Though whether that turns out to be a lie or the current administration gives up shortly on encountering resistance remains to be seen, I guess.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

And it only helps so much, when you're dealing with ISP level data gathering. Stuff still gets picked up going out. For what little it's worth, the regulation itself wasn't particularly in effect and had only been in place a few months ago regardless. Things are back to being more or less no different than it was around November or thereabouts.

Yeah and I know Do Not Track got about as much support and implementation from most websites as a dead rat in the gutter. They live off ad revenue and allowing anyone to opt out of tracking cookies is deliberately costing them money. On the other hand, it was nice to actually have the government in support of a basic right to data privacy. Extending us a fragment of the protection granted to businesses. By revoking the rule, it's not only returning things to the way they could have possibly been/who really knows....it's basically approving the behavior as far as "the government' is concerned.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Look, the Council of Elders just wants to be sure that K'Breel's wikipedia page properly describes the full size of his gellsack, ok? ;)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

I'm torn between uproarious laughter, facepalming, and just sort of sighing slowly.

Please, direct me to a similarly wealthy and unified country with more freedom that isn't in Scandinavia.

America's pretty great. Definitely needs improvement, but I'm glad I was born here. I mean, if I'd been raised in Japan and knew two languages fluently, that'd be cool too, but still.
I'm not saying America isn't awesome, but it's got serious privacy/human rights issues. Plus, the looming shadow of mega-corps that politicians seem mysteriously uninterested in. The free country thing was a joke obviously, but both sides of the aisle seem to love chipping away at the right to be left alone.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... you say, when we've been talking about a democrat implemented bit of regulation specifically intended to unchip that right, that was gleefully cut down by GOP congressfolk. Like, yeah, congress in general is more than a bit more cavalier on the subject than anyone reasonable would like, but let's not ignore that improving privacy rights and whatnot is actually part of the democrat party platform, and part they've demonstrated before they're willing to legislate towards. And then you have the GOP, party of removing "undue regulatory burdens" and "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about". Among all the shit related to the police state and national security, on top of whatever other mess I've forgotten or missed.

Both sides of the aisle may love to chip, but one has been trying to go at it with a jackhammer on top of that and the other at least tries to glue bits back together occasionally. Let's maybe not make an equivalence on the subject when the distribution of jackassery is not actually equivalent.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 3567