Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229464 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Just mentioned that a few posts before yours, heh. Linked to the vote itself, just in case someone happens to feel like expressing an opinion to one of the shits that voted it through.

Though yeah, flake was the sponsor. I'm pretty sure the actual meaning behind that particular bit of bullshit you quoted involved referring to ISPs as the consumer, presumably with the fucking GOP being the seller and the rest of us just being victims. Statement actually makes sense, then.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile

Just mentioned that a few posts before yours, heh. Linked to the vote itself, just in case someone happens to feel like expressing an opinion to one of the shits that voted it through.

Yep, you're right. That's what I get for not checking thoroughly. What would it actually take to convince the legislative majority that regulations are designed to protect people from exactly this sort of thing?

My favorite example of how regulatory bodies are really important is how the FDA (and specifically Frances Oldham Kelsey) refused to approve a new drug for use in the US because of concerns over its safety back in the early 60s. The tests were, in their view, inadequate to demonstrate safety and effectiveness.

Richardson-Merrel, the manufacturer, were given repeated requests for more information, and eventually they grew frustrated. This drug was already in use in more than forty countries, and those who used it had nothing but positive things to say. And then some long-term patients started reporting peripheral nerve damage. Women who had taken it during pregnancy started giving birth to horrifically deformed babies.

The drug was thalidomide. More than 10,000 babies were born in 46 countries with painful and even lethal birth defects; thanks to Kelsey and the FDA, only 17 of those births happened in the US. That is what regulatory bodies do, and that's why they are so vital. Wanting to "protect consumers from overreaching Internet regulation" is quite possibly the most fundamental misunderstanding of a basic function of government I have ever heard in my entire life. Coming off the heels of Donald "Who knew healthcare was complicated?" Trump and Scott "put in charge of the EPA despite denying climate change and repeatedly suing the EPA over regulations" Pruitt, that's saying a lot.

EDIT: Just looked at the voting record for the Senate and for the House. No Democrats voted in favor in either case. Two Senate Republicans abstained from voting, while 15 House Republicans "defected" and 6 abstained.

You almost have to applaud the Republican party. By consistently voting as a party against any Democrat bill in the last administration, they could automatically turn any bill into a partisan one. They had to do exactly nothing while the Democrats attempted to make concessions and reach across the aisle for bipartisan support that would never be allowed. Even better, as the party of small government, pure obstructionism could only ever work in their favor; if a bill faltered, they could claim victory by blaming the Democrats, and if it passed despite their efforts, they could claim it was an example of the Democrats abusing their superior numbers to pass a partisan bill over their heads. Any stalls or obstacles (remember the government shutdown?) were evidence of how the federal government couldn't be trusted with so much power, just like they had been saying.

Of course, as even Paul Ryan noted in the aftermath of the AHCA's collapse, it's easy to be the party of pure opposition. The exact strategy of voting as a block against any bill from the majority party is what created the current notion of "defection", since bipartisan cooperation is now a poisonous concept.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:10:35 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

Ah, but you are not seeing it from the other point of view! You see, to Republicans, the purpose of government is to not exist.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... yeah, both sides, which is why most of the dems voted yes on the regulation (they put in to begin with) repeal, and there ended up being no opposition to sopa or pipa.

Except, y'know. That didn't happen.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

That's a bit circular. Politics is and has always been a game of incentive and persuasion. The Republicans were persuaded to bother voting for this by lobbyist donations and cronyism, and the Democrats were persuaded to vote against it by engagement and the knowledge that their constituents are watching. Both are valid in the sense that they work.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

how is that even a question

Even with the xenocidal megalomania, lex is the better... everything, really. Even has better hair.
Ask not!
Ask!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it depends on the continuity really. Lex runs of the gamut from literal cartoon villain to actually reasonable guy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I'd still probably say lex, regardless of the continuity. Literal cartoon villain is something trump's fairly willing to match, and does it with less panache.

... though that said, the question limits the continuity a fair bit, I think. Lex only ended up president in some of them.
Ask not!
Ask!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it depends on the continuity really. Lex runs of the gamut from literal cartoon villain to actually reasonable guy.

Just like Trump.

*rimshot*
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Just like Trump.

*rimshot*

When no one was looking, Donald Trump stole Fourty cakes.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile

liking politicians competes with "fiscal liberal" and "reactionary" for top placement on the list of things no one describes themself as.

i am describe myself with all these, that's my fetish
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

Supermarkets waste around 30% of the stock they have on the shelves.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/25/351495274/supermarkets-waste-tons-of-food-as-they-woo-shoppers

Sadly, this is due to human psychological behaviors.  Humans will pick from the bigger pile every time, even when the food in the smaller pile is just as good.

Short of going all "5 year plan" on the human race, there is no reliable way to fix this.

I work in a supermarket and I can corroborate that report. I throw at least three forty lb boxes of produce away a day.

Bit late to the conversation sorry.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Apparently, the solitary investigator of the House, Devin Nunes, has some pretty big (relative to his net worth) financial links to Russia, and there was a rather clumsy attempt at coverup after said fact was revealed.

That would certainly explain his rather erratic investigation behavior, haha...
._.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 3567