Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228259 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Pah, that's for editors to worry about. I need one of those high-paying headline-writing-jobs.

You know, before a robot takes them all.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be enough fools willing to buy inferior product as long as it has a "100% human-made" label on it.
._.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What you want is "Buy American, Hire American, Use American Robots".  (If American robots are made by foreign robots, just throw the foreign robots over the wall, naturally.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

EDIT: Though if the Dems win next election, it's going to be great hearing them chanting "Lock him up!" with regards to Trump. If they don't do that, it's a missed opportunity.
No, no, no chanting. Just a staid and steady march into an actual trial and steadfast prosecution of actual crimes. Nice peaceable reopening of cases and lawsuits that went quiet upon election, with a sprinkling of whatever else pops up in the meantime.

Spoiler: Dated from July 2016 (click to show/hide)

It began quite some time ago. There are also some clever and more recent memes available on the subject.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure that's a tabloid dude.  I can't see the second word in the title, but I know there's a tabloid beginning with the word "Daily" at my local Rite Aid that is currently airing the headline "DAMNING EVIDENCE: OBAMA ILLEGALLY WIRETAPPED TRUMP!"

Edit: Last month the title claimed Obama was part of a currently ongoing conspiracy to impeach Trump.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

The conspiracy of those with common sense you mean? It's getting more and more ridiculous that he hasn't been put in a jar with peaches and maple syrup yet.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Well yes but if Obama were secretly trying to get Trump impeached that would be... not a former president's job.  I'm not sure if it would be illegal or not, I guess it would depend on how Obama decided to go about it.

But then former presidents have no real power so its just kind of an odd thing to suggest with no evidence.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Mnuchin is a quisling to our coming robot overlords.

Why hasn't anyone hire me to write headlines yet?
Before I read it, for some reason, I briefly thought the one good thing to come from shitboyDonny would be a recognition that automation is a big deal and we need to get ready for it. Then I clicked the link and saw what is either the oldest looking hipster ever, or the most accidentally hipsterish old fart, again, ever, plus lots of disappointment.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The AHCA vote has been officially cancelled.

Trump himself is claiming that he pulled the bill, although a leak from a senior White House source is saying that Paul Ryan pleaded with Trump to let him pull it to avoid a defeat. Ryan is still giving a press conference but it seems he has claimed it was his call. This after Trump said he doesn't blame Paul. That could change quickly. I believe Trump is scheduled to make an Oval Office address shortly, although no idea why.

It seems that Trump is now claiming he is playing the long game, waiting till the ACA "explodes" and then getting a bipartisan replacement. Ryan says we are going to be living with Obamacare for the foreseeable future and he has no timeline for how long it would take to replace. He seems to be blaming 10 years of opposition for making the GOP unable to unite behind anything. Being against things in general was easier than uniting 216 Reps.

Meanwhile the stock markets have climbed on the news.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Mnuchin is a quisling to our coming robot overlords.

Why hasn't anyone hire me to write headlines yet?
Before I read it, for some reason, I briefly thought the one good thing to come from shitboyDonny would be a recognition that automation is a big deal and we need to get ready for it. Then I clicked the link and saw what is either the oldest looking hipster ever, or the most accidentally hipsterish old fart, again, ever, plus lots of disappointment.

Increases in automation don't matter to Trump.  He'll be out of office before there are any major changes to the workforce as a result of it, so it means nothing to him.  I'm quite doubtful that even massively disruptive and imminent technologies, like self driving trucks, will see widespread deployment that quickly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Far as turning tail on the AHCA goes, have to say I'm kinda curious whether the backlash from a failed vote would have been worse than what's about to hit them. Is cowardice or failure more of a trigger for the GOP base?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Far as turning tail on the AHCA goes, have to say I'm kinda curious whether the backlash from a failed vote would have been worse than what's about to hit them. Is cowardice or failure more of a trigger for the GOP base?

Withdrawing a bill shows a lack of negotiating ability on the part of the administration and House leadership/whips, disunity in the party and incompetence in drafting legislation that could attract support.

Losing a vote shows all of the above, incompetence on the part of the House leadership in letting a losing vote come to the floor, and makes all representatives put a vote on record either for or against the bill. For is for a grossly unpopular bill. Against is voting against your party and President, which usually means some form of punishment from the party and possibly their loyal base during the next election. A bill that splits the party like this (41% support among Republicans) is not a good one to vote either way on.

A vote that was lost could have easily destroyed any chance of the Republicans holding the House in 2018. It would likely have meant a serious attempt to unseat Ryan as the House leader as a proven failure, meaning more chaos and even less chance of passing anything of substance in the near future. Trump would have had fewer ways to deflect from the magnitude of the loss than he has now.

Not that this isn't going to be really ugly for them (and hugely entertaining for the rest of us) but the lost vote would have been a lot worse.

EDIT: Basically this.
Quote from: Trump’s colossal failure
House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) avoided total humiliation in wriggling out of the president’s order to take what he knew would be a losing vote on the American Health Care Act. That he had to go, whip list in hand, to the White House, tells us how far he has been reduced in stature by this process.

In refusing to take a vote that apparently would not even have been close, Ryan at least avoided unnecessarily putting his own members at risk (e.g., moderates who were asked to take unpopular votes, conservatives who would disappoint the hard-edged Heritage Action and other groups working against the bill). He also retained a smidgen of his own stature. Had he gone forward he would have effectively forfeited Congress’s standing as a co-equal branch of government.

Ryan will remain speaker because no one else wants the job, but in a sense he does not “lead” the House Republicans, let alone the House. He is continuously caught in the crossfire between the moderates and the far right, just as his predecessor was. He will have his hands full keeping the House together in the future on controversial, “hard” votes. The lesson members learned was to look after their own interests. Calling Ryan and Trump’s bluff worked well for them.

While Ryan loses stature, Trump does not necessarily gain any. Previously he claimed victory merely by decimating the opposition (GOP challengers, Hillary Clinton, a reporter, etc.). Now Ryan’s loss is not Trump’s gain. (It might be Stephen K. Bannon’s gain, but not Trump, who needs to show results.) Trump shares responsibility for a bill he endorsed and lobbied hard to get. (Press secretary Sean Spicer said Trump “left everything on the field.”) His rallies and threats and his vapid cheerleading count for nothing when it comes to governance. What worked in a campaign no longer serves any useful purpose.

Trump now will rightly be seen as a weakened, if not inept, president. His attention span lasts only a couple of weeks before, starved for adulation, he moves onto the next thing in search of affirmation. Democrats know this, as do Republican opponents. You can wait this guy out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:07:01 pm by palsch »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

So the dog figured out letting go of the bumper and tumbling to a stop would hurt less, I'd say good for them, but I was enjoying watching them get dragged down the road.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is how Trump announced the bill was pulled. He apparently made a very similar call to a NYT journalist. Remember how much he hates the NYT and WaPo? He's also made this statement saying much the same.

One comparison I've seen was that he made similar calls to New York tabloids ahead of his divorces. He knows a shit story is going to hit him so gets his voice out there first. Maybe works for tabloid trash about a failing marriage, probably not so great when a grossly unpopular bill you pinned your political hopes on crashes and burns in a supposedly friendly Congress. Slightly different context there.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

This is the beginning of the end.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 3567