Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230445 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3735 on: March 21, 2017, 02:30:03 pm »

And within just a couple weeks Trump's failed at every single one. For the first time in living memory* there's talk of increasing German military spending.

*Okay, post-1989... I'm not that old, okay?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: March 21, 2017, 02:31:24 pm »

Well, NATO is a collective organization, so it's more that the 1st World has failed in them all.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: March 21, 2017, 02:32:44 pm »

And within just a couple weeks Trump's failed at every single one. For the first time in living memory* there's talk of increasing German military spending.

*Okay, post-1989... I'm not that old**, okay?
**He says, sliding a box of hermetic reagents under the table.
Well, NATO is a collective organization, so it's more that the 1st World has failed in them all.
Let's be real, nobody has ever thought NATO was legitimately a collective organization.

*sigh* ...I miss the days when people just called us imperialist capitalist pigdogs from across the ocean. Everything's so depressing now...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: March 21, 2017, 02:37:01 pm »

It's always been a collective security organization, that's generally served its member country's interests. Please note the use of the weasel word generally and not mention gladio.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: March 21, 2017, 03:17:26 pm »

Good. The state of the German military is an embarrassment.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: March 21, 2017, 03:29:04 pm »

That's on purpose? 
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: March 21, 2017, 03:32:13 pm »

It's always been a collective security organization, that's generally served its member country's interests. Please note the use of the weasel word generally and not mention gladio.

Yeah saying NATO is the USA... feels a lot like when people say the UN is the United States.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: March 21, 2017, 04:03:03 pm »

That's on purpose?
If the German government has left the military purposely terrible, that's borderline criminal.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: March 21, 2017, 04:38:51 pm »

What does that even mean? German as a state has the right to do whatever the hell they want with the purely internal matter of the composition of their armed forces, not regarding the possibility of international agreements and understanding.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: March 21, 2017, 04:41:34 pm »

A military can be small or large or focused or broad. All that is fine. What isn't fine is leaving the military you do have to essentially rot, with not enough spare parts, with most of the on-paper force inoperable due to lack of maintenance, etc. If Germany only wants like 10 brigades... Fine. But make sure they are actually functional, at least. Otherwise it's borderline criminally negligent.

Anyway, as a German citizen, if I want to criticize how the German government runs its military, that's completely within my rights.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:44:49 pm by Pwnzerfaust »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: March 21, 2017, 04:44:42 pm »

A lot of my countrymen would like no army at all. Most of them realize that this is a bad idea, though. What we get as a result is an incredibly underfunded military, because reminding people that we have and need one is a surefire way to lose votes.

That's sloooooowly starting to change though. Trump and Putin have done a great job of making self-sufficiency in defense sound like a good idea again.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: March 21, 2017, 08:17:00 pm »

We shouldn't necessarily starting the eulogy for NATO tho... Trump can and probably will cripple it for the next 4 (finger's crossed) years, but it'll still be there for his replacement.  Probably.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: March 21, 2017, 08:22:36 pm »

Man I am just thinking about how many presidents the USA will have to go through to undo the damage Trump did.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was destroyed in one.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: March 21, 2017, 08:45:11 pm »

Quote from: Strife26 link=topic=159257.msg7331252#msg7331252
By the frame of the government under which we live, this same people have wisely given their public servants but little power for mischief; and have, with equal wisdom, provided for the return of that little to their own hands at very short intervals. While the people retain their virtue and vigilance, no administration, by any extreme of wickedness or folly, can very seriously injure the government in the short space of four years.

From Lincoln's first Inaugural Address.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: March 21, 2017, 08:48:33 pm »

*snip*
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 3567