Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231088 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3705 on: March 20, 2017, 03:11:52 pm »

There really needs to be some sort of independent investigator on this as everything seems too politicized, even FBI director Comey doesn't seem particularily impartial, plus being really cagey on answers and stuff.

Of course though, neither party seems to trust Comey very well, for different reasons.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: March 20, 2017, 03:30:39 pm »

HIV is now a manageable chronic condition.
Right, with proper medication support. Guess what is going away with the repeal of Obamacare?
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: March 20, 2017, 04:03:09 pm »

There really needs to be some sort of independent investigator on this as everything seems too politicized, even FBI director Comey doesn't seem particularily impartial, plus being really cagey on answers and stuff.

Of course though, neither party seems to trust Comey very well, for different reasons.
I mean... that's kinda what the FBI is for.  If we made some independent "presidential investigator" position they wouldn't have the entire FBI at their beck and call.  And, related, they would be a lot easier to manipulate.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »

Right, with proper medication support. Guess what is going away with the repeal of Obamacare?

Out of curiosity what happened before Obamacare?  Did they just let people with HIV die if they couldn't afford the drugs?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: March 20, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »

FBI director James "We're Totally Reopening The Email Investigation" Comey, not impartial? What could have possibly given you that idea?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: March 20, 2017, 04:34:48 pm »

Out of curiosity what happened before Obamacare?  Did they just let people with HIV die if they couldn't afford the drugs?
Reagan and the Republican party pretended that HIV didn't exist and basically the entire gay community was wiped out as a result.

Oh wait... I guess you mean more recently than that.  Yes, that's what they do.  I believe medicaid helps people out but a lot of people with HIV still go untreated.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: March 20, 2017, 04:36:00 pm »

Sort of yes, sort of no.

HIV medication in the 'states apparently falls under medicaid coverage, so most people who couldn't afford them would have gotten them provided by medicaid funding, but medicaid funding was very narrow and a lot of people didn't qualify for it and were still unable to afford medication. There's a bunch of charitable groups who help people with HIV as well who would probably help people afford meds.

If you fell into the bracket where you didn't qualify for medicaid nor had the money to afford the meds yourself, you probably basically just died, not getting much medical help apart from palliative care as you were actually dying.

The medicaid expansion Obama instituted did increase the number of HIV sufferers claiming medicaid support, in addition to them having an easier time in general getting insurance.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: March 20, 2017, 04:39:38 pm »

Interesting.

Here in British Columbia we've been taking the philosophy that people who are being treated for HIV aren't generally able to spread HIV, so we actually go out of our way to find and treat people who are undiagnosed. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: March 20, 2017, 04:39:56 pm »

White House installs political aides at Cabinet agencies to be Trump’s eyes and ears

At the Pentagon, they’re privately calling the former Marine officer and fighter pilot who’s supposed to keep his eye on Defense Secretary Jim Mattis “the commissar,” according to a high-ranking defense official with knowledge of the situation. It’s a reference to Soviet-era Communist Party officials who were assigned to military units to ensure their commanders remained loyal.

More evidence of Russian influence in Trump's government! Dirty commies.
._.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: March 20, 2017, 04:47:50 pm »

It's all fun and games until someone gets BLAMmed

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:52 pm »

At the Pentagon, they’re privately calling the former Marine officer and fighter pilot who’s supposed to keep his eye on Defense Secretary Jim Mattis “the commissar,” according to a high-ranking defense official with knowledge of the situation. It’s a reference to Soviet-era Communist Party officials who were assigned to military units to ensure their commanders remained loyal.
For some reason, I'm hoping they're thinking of the 40K offshoot reference...   (Because I know how to deal with them.)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: March 20, 2017, 05:34:18 pm »

Informers are something that's damn near intolerable on a military staff. When I have a moment, I'll look up the relevant red storm rising quote.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: March 20, 2017, 05:46:19 pm »

HIV medication in the 'states apparently falls under medicaid coverage, so most people who couldn't afford them would have gotten them provided by medicaid funding, but medicaid funding was very narrow and a lot of people didn't qualify for it and were still unable to afford medication. There's a bunch of charitable groups who help people with HIV as well who would probably help people afford meds.

If you fell into the bracket where you didn't qualify for medicaid nor had the money to afford the meds yourself, you probably basically just died, not getting much medical help apart from palliative care as you were actually dying.

The medicaid expansion Obama instituted did increase the number of HIV sufferers claiming medicaid support, in addition to them having an easier time in general getting insurance.

Again, it is a bit more complicated.

Under Medicaid pre-ACA expansion, being low income wasn't enough to qualify you. You had to be low income as well as being a parent or having a disability.

HIV wasn't counted as a disability for the purposes of Medicaid, but AIDS was. So unless you qualified under another criteria you didn't qualify for Medicaid funding until your HIV progressed to AIDS, at which point a lot of the damage has been done and life expectancy plummets, even with treatment.

The Medicaid expansion - for the states that opted in - took away this extra requirement. So all low income adults were covered, regardless of health status.

At the same time the ACA required that preventative measures, including HIV screening, be covered by all insurance policies.

It also made it so that pre-existing conditions (such as HIV) couldn't disqualify someone for getting insurance.

Those are the big three that resulted in a lot more people with HIV being covered either by Medicaid or private insurance, while getting the treatments they needed funded.

Having said all that, there is a separate federal program that funds HIV/AIDS treatment; the Ryan White program. This is a pool of federal money given as grants to pay for HIV/AIDS treatment, insurance, research and infrastructure. They estimate this 'reaches' 52% of those diagnosed, although what percentage of the medical costs are covered are less clear, and in the past at least there have been waiting lists for the grants.

So it isn't entirely that the government was just ignoring people and letting them die, at least after 1990 or so.

Even for those covered by separate funding though, if the pre-existing conditions clause is removed they will have trouble getting insurance to cover other medical costs. Remember that HIV can be a risk factor for other diseases, so having insurance for those costs is important even if HIV drugs are paid for elsewhere.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: March 20, 2017, 05:47:15 pm »

Thinking on the Marines thing, I *really* wish military personnel that inform on the misconduct of their fellow officers and troops weren't shunned. It shouldn't be that the informant is treated as "not a real marine," but that the person who fucked up so badly as to need being informed on and court martialled is not a "real marine." A real marine wouldn't do shit like that.

This political bullshit has nothing to do with any of that, of course. It just made me think of it again. Fucking grown men acting like 4chan 13 year olds.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: March 20, 2017, 06:13:38 pm »

Informers are something that's damn near intolerable on a military staff. When I have a moment, I'll look up the relevant red storm rising quote.

- Let's have an attitude check!
I hate this fucking place!
- Let's have a positive attitude check!
I positively hate this fucking place!
- Let's have a negative attitude check!
I don't like this fucking place!
- Let's have a short attitude check!
Fuckit!

(Not the one you're referring to, but my copy of the book is elsewhere as well, so...  ;)  Also, I'm sure there's a HfRO quote, either Ramius vs (Political Officer!) Putin, Ramius vs the innocent Doctor Petrov or Ramius vs the 'Cook', according to preference... )
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 3567