Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4240764 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3525 on: March 15, 2017, 11:50:17 am »

the problem is that there is no shortage of people willing to sell everyone else out for a temporary advantage. (prisoner's dillema, meets tradgedy of the commons.)
You'll remember that the point of the prisoner's dilemma is precisely that the right answer is to defect. That's the logical thing to do. There's no way to justify cooperation from a logical perspective: that's why it's a dillema. In an iterated dilemma things are different.
That's not the point of the prisoner's dilemma. The point is that when dealing with multiple non-communicative actors, it's illogical to treat any scenario as if it wasn't iterated.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: March 15, 2017, 12:23:26 pm »

I'm sure when the world is burning down around us, /pol/ will still be jerking each other off even as the flames consume their hands.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: March 15, 2017, 12:28:25 pm »

I'm sure when the world is burning down around us, /pol/ will still be jerking each other off even as the flames consume their hands.

And shouting, "BROJOB! BROJOB! CHOO CHOO!"
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: March 15, 2017, 12:29:38 pm »

I didn't fall for it, I think it's ridiculous anyway.

Now lets change topic. :P
Yeah that's the gist of things. One must just generally be aware that when anons pull stunts in front of audiences (they know this camera stream/art projects audience) they are intending to spread a message that is not necessarily how they communicate. For example while they did their milk stunts at the HWNDU stream they had sockpuppet accounts spreading this news article trying to get progressives to drink chocolate milk to show solidarity with undocumented migrants, with the goal of making them drink chocolate milk

Damn it I fell for that one. Drinking chocolate milk right now. Didn't even read the article or know what the hell you're talking about & I'm drinking it anyway, that's how clever the ruse was. On the other hand, I actually like chocolate milk, so...

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: March 15, 2017, 12:31:45 pm »

Chocolate milk is white genocide, obviously.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: March 15, 2017, 12:48:18 pm »

I must say I'm ok with multicultural milk ingestion, unless its goats milk. I'd rather eat the goat.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:38 pm »

I must say I'm ok with multicultural milk ingestion, unless its goats milk. I'd rather eat the goat.

Milk the goat, and then eat it.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: March 15, 2017, 01:15:02 pm »

Goat's milk is disgusting. I've had it, it's not good.  I have heard donkey milk is pure distilled awesomesauce.  But so far I haven't found any local groceries that stock it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: March 15, 2017, 01:18:08 pm »

From misko's link:
There is no real evidence that memes won the election, but there is little question they changed its tone, especially in the fast-moving and influential currents of social media. The meme battalions created a mass of pro-Trump iconography as powerful as the Obama “Hope” poster and far more adaptable; they relentlessly drew attention to the tawdriest and most sensational accusations against Clinton, forcing mainstream media outlets to address topics—like conspiracy theories about Clinton’s health—that they would otherwise ignore. And they provoked a variety of real-world reactions, from Clinton’s August speech denouncing the alt-right to the Anti-Defamation League’s designation of Pepe as a hate symbol to—after the election—the armed assault on a Washington pizzeria wrongly believed to be hiding sex slaves.
That's why I have no problem saying they meme'D a sack of shit into office. All the focus groups and professional campaign management in the world vs a bored internet hate machine which found the idea of Trump in office so amusing they threw who knows how much time and effort into it?

I suppose more accurately it could be said that without the extra buffer of normality applied by all the absurd shit you had political commentators discussing, on top of Trump playing along with the memes while Hillary just got mad at cartoon frogs and cringed away from them, it would have been a far larger popular vote loss, and the electoral college falling in his favor under those conditions would be even less likely than it already was.

Memes and trolling are powerful shit, I don't know why the idea of a nationwide popularity contest in the age of everywhere-internet couldn't be influenced by them seems more plausible than the alternative--especially when one side capitalized on the free propaganda/campaigning/marketing while the other side got trolled and tried to ignore it before losing--but there it is.

Look at the Obama and Paul campaigns, I mean, seriously, who the fuck is Ron Paul? Some shmuck Libertarian? Up against the goddamn charming persona of Obama he's just a kooky old white dude. The internet was behind him, but they didn't get as passionate, and didn't pursue it as hard as they did this last election so they weren't even able to put him on top of the pile of other kooky old white dudes, much less beat the booming voice of Barry.

Clinton... well, you can feel free to go back through any post I've made and check, but I'll save you the trouble: when I defended her, it was for the good she has done, causes she's fought for, and her general assurance of competency. Sadly she doesn't have a fraction of the charm Bill has. Not to say Trump is charming, maybe to a nearsighted gila monster, but in the battle between "I think it would be neat if a candidate like this won" and "I really think it would be hilarious if this candidate won" you aren't going to get the same returns as you would from "I honestly like and feel inspired by this candidate" against either of those.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: March 15, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »

You'll remember that the point of the prisoner's dilemma is precisely that the right answer is to defect. That's the logical thing to do. There's no way to justify cooperation from a logical perspective: that's why it's a dillema. In an iterated dilemma things are different.
That's not the point of the prisoner's dilemma. The point is that when dealing with multiple non-communicative actors, it's illogical to treat any scenario as if it wasn't iterated.
Now that's a statement that does not logically follow, and which I've never encountered (so you'll have to explain your point, because I don't get it). Encountering multiple non-communicative actors in non-iterated dilemmas doesn't change the math: if it's one turn and you do not defect, you are taking a strictly suboptimal outcome, because you always do better by defecting then you would have by cooperating regardless of what your partner decides to do. It's the Maximin option. A one-turn prisoner's dilemma should always result in defection, period. It's only when there is the threat of being held to account for past actions that the prisoner's dilemma ever encourages cooperation; i.e. through the tit-for-tat strategy, because only in those scenarios is there any danger of the future.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: March 15, 2017, 02:35:28 pm »

The White House becomes a hotbed of paranoia

Real life inches ever closers to satire.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: March 15, 2017, 03:39:05 pm »

I think we passed the satire event horizon when he won the primaries, and are now just patiently waiting for full integration into the Trump singularity.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: March 15, 2017, 03:46:57 pm »

Milk the goat, make cheese and then eat it.
FTFY

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: March 15, 2017, 04:51:22 pm »

I only scanned it pretty fast, only read the title and first couple sentences, but the gist of it is that they're trying to use milk tolerance as a justification.

Should change topic before this gets us into trouble. The link itself shouldn't get neonovek into trouble and it's obvious what you'll get in the link, but lets move on.
Hahaha no they're not

They're using milk to destroy MSM credibility the same way they used Pepe. The last time CNN tried to convince teenagers that Pepe was a secret symbol of naziism Anons realized they could reclaim and conquer any meme they wanted simply by associating it with racism. These people don't believe that there is a jewish conspiracy to take away their milk, it's pure bait that progressives took hook, line and worm

It's such a basic ruse, why do you guys keep falling for it. They're laughing at you and you just keep giving them more memes, YOU'VE GIVEN THEM MILK NOW. Ahahahaha

Quote from: /pol/
Anonymous: "Waaaaah pay attention to us, you old people are so out of touch with technology and our generation and culture!"
Anonymous: "No one cares anon stop being needy"
Anonymous: "Oh wait shit they're looking at us uh what do we do"
Anonymous: "Um well they like our memes, I guess we could continue to lovingly mock and share our culture that way"
Anonymous: "Better idea, let's emulate existing meatspace hategroups.  Ironically!"
Anonymous: "what"
Anonymous: "It's cool, nobody actually believes these things!"
Anonymous: "but"
Anonymous: "HAHA THEY DIDN'T READ SARCASM OVER TEXT, LIBERALS AMIRITE"
Anonymous: "I'm not sure all these anons are being sarcastic anymore"
Anonymous: "LOL CUCKS"
Anonymous: "I'm going to /vr/ to relive the Clinton years"
Anonymous: "hey I heard we were desecrating a flag, uh ironically, can I get a ride?  I have my own piss jar"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3539 on: March 15, 2017, 05:18:02 pm »

No, they're not emulating hategroups ironically, they're genuine Nazis, the milk is the ironic retardation gambit. /pol/ was actually considered more extreme and uncontrollable than both the alt-right and considered too schizophrenic for /islamic state/. To specify, milk = irony, nazi = genuine
Now you will be better able to discern between ruse and rustle

*EDIT
Y'know how someone posted earlier that when you end up acting like you believe in something or when you defend something long enough, even if you disagree with it, that you start to actually believe it?

Yeah.
I remember that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:25:48 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 3567