Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242045 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3435 on: March 12, 2017, 10:45:13 am »

i don't think their is unfortunately. its got a link to the ones its available on on the website though. the google play one at least seems to link to a list directly.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: March 12, 2017, 10:49:44 am »

Ugh. I really didn't want to write any of this, but it appears that I have, and it's gotten kinda long, so I may as well let people actually see it instead of consigning it to the metaphorical flames.

For what it's worth, your posts have been really insightful and informative. Thank you for taking the time to make them.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: March 12, 2017, 10:50:54 am »

@dorsidwarf: lol...

@misko: Maybe a bit much family history revealed than neccesary, but allright, I get it. However, even though I get where you're coming from, like you said, it's hard to ' fully get it' when you haven't been on the recieving end of it. Also, sounds more psychopath than narcissisic disorder, but not gonna go there.

Speaking of narcissiscists, not all dictators are neccesarily narcissisicsts or to the same level as Trump, but Trump definetly does follow the same kind of architecture style of 'I'm Rich As F**k'. Article on dictator chic. Some pictures, only the first three are actually of Trumps stuff. Although, I wonder how he compares to other rich people in the US as far as their interior design.

We should be glad that he doesn't plan to radically alter the White House (yet), and he already knows that he can't change much. Though he's already applied his touches to the Oval Office with the gold colored drapes, gold colored sunburst rug, and yellowish-gold sofas.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:53:05 am by smjjames »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: March 12, 2017, 11:04:16 am »

I was listening to podcasts like i do and ran across an interview about this whole populist mechanism. give it a listen and tell me what you think.

http://www.reconsidermedia.com/podcast/podemos-trump-and-the-populists-path-to-power
You lost me at the URL. Putting Trump and Podemos up as siblings says a lot about the political identity of the speaker. It becomes even clearer when you check his profile nd find that, indeed, he was part of the youth movement of the Popular Party.

I dont like Podemos very much (for reasons I can ellaborate in other threads if you want. Not too relevant to Ameripol),  but if there's one party that has been seeking to compare themmwith Trump, it's the PP
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: March 12, 2017, 12:08:04 pm »

You know, I just realized something, a Republican can very well run on the same platform and same message as Trump is doing, but the way that Trump does it can't be replicated because he is so far from the norm psychologically. In fact, while there were some that did try to run on his platform and populist style, I don't think there were many that actually succeeded. The highest profile one that I know of was the person that tried to run against Paul Ryan.

2018 will be a real test of how successful this 'trumpism' actually is because there will be more that attempt to replicate Trump's method.

Also, I'll be honest here, when Trump did his initial run in 2012, or maybe it was at an earlier time, I forget the exact date, I initially thought he had some good ideas (was keeping an open mind at the time, and he was running as a moderate back then I believe), but he very quickly came off as a jerk.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:18:56 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: March 12, 2017, 12:25:33 pm »

Ah... no, his style totally can be replicated. Like, it does appear he's pretty abnormal psychologically, but most of his actions are basically just bog standard con/abuse behavior. It can be trained for more or less anyone with a sufficiently bankrupt sense of ethics.

His success is something that would be more difficult to replicate, but as folks have noted more than once that doesn't really have that much to do with trump. He just happened to be the right sort of con at the right sort of time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: March 12, 2017, 12:44:11 pm »

Oh for fuck's sake maybe I should just write a fucking article or book on this or something if I'm going to do all this damn writing in my spare time. I mean seriously, I worked harder on this than on some of my essays in college.

I think you've nailed the issue here and are in a perhaps unique position to explain it. Certainly worth at minimum a "letter to the editor" to a national newspaper, but I think a book would be needed to do it justice (if you are motivated and able to write one at this time).

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: March 12, 2017, 12:44:50 pm »

Please do.

And link it so we can buy it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: March 12, 2017, 12:58:13 pm »

Thanks again, Misko, for writing all that out.

I'm not in the communications department of where I work, but I do get occasional chances to influence things there... I'll have to give some thought as to how your analysis could improve what we put out (I think we already happen to be following some of your observations, but definitely not all of it).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: March 12, 2017, 02:36:15 pm »

@misko: Maybe a bit much family history revealed than neccesary, but allright, I get it.
I mean sure, but I've said most of this on the forums in different places before. If I've said it in sad thread, I think I can say it in Freedom Thread.
However, even though I get where you're coming from, like you said, it's hard to ' fully get it' when you haven't been on the receiving end of it. Also, sounds more psychopath than narcissisic disorder, but not gonna go there.
I'd like to remind you that they are not mutually exclusive. Psychopath isn't a technical term anymore, it's Antisocial Personality Disorder now (of which Psychopathy and Sociopathy are subcategories), and ASPD and NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) are not mutually exclusive terms. In fact, you are right in a sense, just narcissism isn't a perfect description. It's technically a variant of Narcissism, known for combining Antisocial (and to a lesser extent Paranoid, and Sadistic) elements, known as "Malignant Narcissism", which is an unofficial category not used by the DSM, I warn. But it's there, and I think it's relevant and worth knowing. Again, I wouldn't go so far as to diagnose Donald Trump without meeting him (and lord knows I'm no psychologist), but based on what we've seen and various incidents I've looked into about his personal life, I feel relatively confident making the argument.
For what it's worth, your posts have been really insightful and informative. Thank you for taking the time to make them.
Well it's nice that some people here have found them interesting in some way. I mean, I certainly think I have an interesting perspective, but it's quite odd to have others agree, you know?
Please do.

And link it so we can buy it?
Oh come on.
I think you've nailed the issue here and are in a perhaps unique position to explain it. Certainly worth at minimum a "letter to the editor" to a national newspaper, but I think a book would be needed to do it justice (if you are motivated and able to write one at this time).
Well, you know it is really quite tempting I'll admit, but the joke is that I still am in college. But as they say, the national mood is certainly right for something like that.

How does one even write anything like that? I wouldn't know where to begin.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: March 12, 2017, 02:40:45 pm »

Start with what you've written.

Then keep going.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: March 12, 2017, 02:41:50 pm »

How does one even write anything like that? I wouldn't know where to begin.

Your qualifications and personal experience, I believe.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: March 12, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »

Honestly the last thing anyone needs right now is more "Drumpf is teh ebil" literature right now. It's a bit of a saturated market, and as misko says himself it isn't a positive or even especially useful contribution.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: March 12, 2017, 04:16:45 pm »

Now, some "while he is evil, his supporters aren't automatically so" could help.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: March 12, 2017, 05:48:19 pm »

*scratches head* That seems to be implying that understanding and comprehension is going to entail cooperation. Or even less hostility. Which, uh. Understanding and comprehension is rarely the substantial issue, at the least when major misinformation isn't involved. Problem is more disagreeing about shit, and on a lot of stuff there's not exactly room to agree to disagree, and barely more, if not actually less, to reach some sort of compromise.

It's easy to say to de-escalate the partisanship. Finding an issue where that's possible, and where people are going to work particularly well with other folks that are actively working to harm them in other areas, not so much.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 3568