Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242255 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3390 on: March 10, 2017, 09:18:37 pm »

The intention of my comment is not to praise Trump but to recognize that when it comes down to it these are all conscious entities doing things and not cartoon caricatures. When one is in the opposition/minority, there's an inherent risk in turning the foe into a thing to be hated instead of someone you disagree with (something that I'd argue some of the anti-Obama folks very much fell into) - there's gain to be had there, but at the cost of long-term damages to the institutions we have.

I know it sucks to hear 'don't take the low road' after an election like that, but unless your objective is just to blow everything up then I'd argue it's better not to treat politics like total war. Certainly giant piles of legitimate complaints about President Trump, but the process of making those complaints counts.

(I do understand that for some folks the objective really is just to blow everything up... to them I suppose I'd say that the chances of that going horribly wrong are greater than the chances of it improving things.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: March 10, 2017, 10:29:35 pm »

Gender swapped presidential debate
They only switched the genders, but this just caused trump (or in this case fem-trump) to feel like the better person.

Well you aren't really meant to cut people off and rant at them like that in presidential debates regardless of gender...
Yeah, uh...  I definitely didn't get the apparently intended reaction from this piece, based on the article.
I thought FemTrump was even more of a bitch than Trump, if anything, which could be my own sexism to some extent.  I certainly didn't start sympathizing with the interruptions (I'd say arguments, except...  it was still pretty much an out-of-turn torrent of "Nuh-uh!" or "What about this other thing huh?!")

The article claims that MaleClinton seemed fake because he smiled too much and seemed too prepared, which just makes me incredibly worried about our country.  Not to mention the gender stereotypes at play.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: March 10, 2017, 10:43:22 pm »

Yeah, uh, Male!Clinton was fine, although suddenly "Buy my book!" was a bit much, and Woman!Trump was interrupting and generally being an ass and going off on weird tangents.  Still would have gone for Clinton, if that's a representative sample.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: March 10, 2017, 10:46:21 pm »

It helps that Male Clinton seemed to be fairly experienced so much so that he could call upon his experience and credentials.

Fairly bog standard, but then again... I am electing a president not a entertainer.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: March 10, 2017, 10:56:47 pm »

The intention of my comment is not to praise Trump but to recognize that when it comes down to it these are all conscious entities doing things and not cartoon caricatures. When one is in the opposition/minority, there's an inherent risk in turning the foe into a thing to be hated instead of someone you disagree with (something that I'd argue some of the anti-Obama folks very much fell into) - there's gain to be had there, but at the cost of long-term damages to the institutions we have.

I know it sucks to hear 'don't take the low road' after an election like that, but unless your objective is just to blow everything up then I'd argue it's better not to treat politics like total war. Certainly giant piles of legitimate complaints about President Trump, but the process of making those complaints counts.

(I do understand that for some folks the objective really is just to blow everything up... to them I suppose I'd say that the chances of that going horribly wrong are greater than the chances of it improving things.)
The short version is that Donald Trump is going to polarize this country to hell because people say and will continue to say terrible things about Donald Trump, all the terrible things we tell ourselves about anyone we don't like, because Donald Trump is almost all of the terrible things people say about him. Tthe current defense of him is that he isn't a Russian Shill. So? So he didn't commit the worst treason in American history and conspire to gain power by selling the country out to our greatest foreign antagonist and fundamentally weakening the most valued attribute of our country, it's democracy. And? So what? What about everything else?

The problem is that most of the worst things people believe about Donald Trump are, in fact, true, which means there is little daylight between "hating him for who he actually is" and "hating him because of hating him". And that, by itself, may break this country.
Yeah, uh, Male!Clinton was fine, although suddenly "Buy my book!" was a bit much, and Woman!Trump was interrupting and generally being an ass and going off on weird tangents.  Still would have gone for Clinton, if that's a representative sample.
Personally the Trump talk is off to me, regardless of whether it's said by a man or a woman. Narcissism is actually more common in women (well technically, what I mean is that there are few women psychopaths or sociopaths, and that they instead tend to manifest as narcissists; I don't know actually how APD is distributed between the sexes).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: March 10, 2017, 11:03:14 pm »

Wellllllll, the "Buy my book" thing was from the actual debate.  In fact I think the idea is that they literally copied the dialogue, timing, and hand gestures from the actual debate.
(Considering it followed that tirade of interruptions, I considered it an attempt at humor.  But I was definitely a Clinton supporter already.)

And sure enough, Trump's gestures looked obnoxious when done by a woman too *shrug*.  And smiling is fine even if you're a guy, I mean, we reelected Obama...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: March 11, 2017, 12:11:44 am »

The intention of my comment is not to praise Trump but to recognize that when it comes down to it these are all conscious entities doing things and not cartoon caricatures.

As I started reading this post, I read that opening line as "I come not to praise Trump, but to bury him."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: March 11, 2017, 12:19:23 am »

Wellllllll, the "Buy my book" thing was from the actual debate.  In fact I think the idea is that they literally copied the dialogue, timing, and hand gestures from the actual debate.
(Considering it followed that tirade of interruptions, I considered it an attempt at humor.  But I was definitely a Clinton supporter already.)

And sure enough, Trump's gestures looked obnoxious when done by a woman too *shrug*.  And smiling is fine even if you're a guy, I mean, we reelected Obama...
I didn't actually watch the original debate, so I was just kind of...Reacting to that.

But seriously though, I find that conclusion strange.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: March 11, 2017, 12:20:40 am »

-snip-

I think this is the most intensely, frighteningly accurate summation I've encountered so far.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: March 11, 2017, 12:21:29 am »

And...Yeah, what Hanslanda said.
Sigtext

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: March 11, 2017, 12:31:57 am »

Personally I had never encountered a person who speaks the way the Donald does before being introduced to him over the debates. At first I thought he couldn't have possibly been completely serious or genuine when inserting self-praise every other breath, that it must've been a deliberate tactic. Now seeing his incredibly thin skin and the hilarious depths of pettiness he'll pursue, it's clear that it wasn't just some reality TV or conman bullshit he picked up, but that he's legitimately fucked in the head.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: March 11, 2017, 02:14:27 am »

As misko said: treating Trump like a cartoon caricature isn't dishonest, pretending he deserves the same sort of respect and benefit of the doubt that any human should receive is dishonest. He literally disagrees with himself regularly, jumping on whatever stance or claim makes his weewee feel bigger at the moment. He brags about fucking people over, attacks anyone or anything which could poke a hole in his lie-fueled identity, and has been doing this for far too long to think it is anything but who he really is.

He's a 70 year old child, coddled and raised in a shell of expensive bullshit, I'm not sure if it's just pathological narcissism or if that's just a layer on top of his more psychopathic behaviors which get obscured due to the sort of institutional sociopathy the upper levels of US politics attracts. No man would bitch and moan and throw a tantrum on twitter about all the shit he has, but a spoiled little boy will, and that points to part of why 4chan loves him. He's a meme incarnated in the form of a rich spoiled manchild who dragged a fucking alt-right fascist with nazi buddies into the white house.

There is no low road to take here, doing things on equal ground means you're standing in the gutter anyways, and playing by the rules against someone who doesn't even fucking understand that there are rules is insane. Giving him any legitimacy is dangerous and corrosive, so while you may have had a point, Dostoevsky, if we were discussing Rubio or Romney or even Jeb, you are absolutely wrong in the case of the shitbag in the white house now. Sadly we can't just rely on people who support him understanding how vile that makes them by association, and you are right that attacking them is not the right path... but attacking him? Yeah, the only reason I can think of for not hoping he chokes to death on his smartphone is how awful Pence is.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: March 11, 2017, 02:16:10 am »

Yeah but Max aren't we being unfair?

I mean... if a normal person acted like Donald Trump he would...

Actually he would be laughed out of the building... Donald Trump only gets away with what he says because he is so "rich" and powerful...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: March 11, 2017, 03:21:19 am »

-snip-

I think this is the most intensely, frighteningly accurate summation I've encountered so far.
And...Yeah, what Hanslanda said.
You think you're spooked? Imagine lying in bed one day and suddenly realizing the similarities between the father who beat and starved your family and the President of the United States. And there's a lot of similarities.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He's a 70 year old child, coddled and raised in a shell of expensive bullshit, I'm not sure if it's just pathological narcissism or if that's just a layer on top of his more psychopathic behaviors which get obscured due to the sort of institutional sociopathy the upper levels of US politics attracts. No man would bitch and moan and throw a tantrum on twitter about all the shit he has, but a spoiled little boy will, and that points to part of why 4chan loves him. He's a meme incarnated in the form of a rich spoiled manchild who dragged a fucking alt-right fascist with nazi buddies into the white house.
As a point of order, Narcissistic Personality Disorder and APD (Antisocial personality disorder, which is the technical term for sociopathy and psychopathy) are not mutually exclusive. They can, and often do, overlap.

There is no low road to take here, doing things on equal ground means you're standing in the gutter anyways, and playing by the rules against someone who doesn't even fucking understand that there are rules is insane. Giving him any legitimacy is dangerous and corrosive...
This I'd like to focus on just a touch. It's worth saying that while there aren't hard-and-fast rules for when you see through a narcissist and when you don't, the biggest predictor is degree to which you are already opposed. If you distrust or doubt a narcissist (not necessarily because you are aware of them; in fact, it's just as easy to doubt them because of terrible reasons), you are much, much more likely to see through them. Open-mindedness is vulnerability, skepticism is a necessary inoculation, but plain opposition is the best defense (hence polarization). That's why the left-wing are so united in blanket opposition: they'd already be opposed to his politics, so the scale of his crimes is unvarnished and thus unacceptable. It's very much worth saying that if Obama did half of this, the Tea Party would have his head on a plate, and that's a good thing. But Obama didn't, and Trump did.

Again, I'm extremely self-aware of how this sounds. That's precisely why I am worried about the state of the country. The extreme rhetoric is mostly justified, but counter-productive (to the point of being actuvely dangerous).
Sadly we can't just rely on people who support him understanding how vile that makes them by association

Stay classy, Bay12.
This is my point from earlier (which I'm now wondering if either of you read in great detail). I went to significant lengths to draw apart Donald Trump's supporters and him on a personal level; and to illustrate precisely why there is an issue with even explaining the problem in the first place (as we see here).

The problem of the narcissist is that they necessitate an extreme response, but an extreme response is perceived as fundamentally backward by people who don't understand narcissists, because they see this language and know how it is used to delegitimize others (And they are right! 99.99% of the time, that is. This is the exception). Donald Trump is a unique extension of this problem in that he is a political figure, and thus represents a lot of things to a lot of people (or rather, people feel like he represents; Donald Trump doesn't even represent himself accurately, let alone others). These representations and associations are the heart of the problem. Donald Trump is both a political figure representing certain people's hopes and dreams, and also a fundamentally reprehensible human being who has not demonstrated the ability to show basic empathy. Donald Trump is a genuinely rare form of vile that requires a very hard response, but his supporters are not vile (with rare exception), and treating them as such will only draw them further into his grasp, as well as alienate moderates (those happy few) who only see the response and not the reason. That is the countries problem, and I don't know what the solution is.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: March 11, 2017, 03:34:45 am »

I'm actually a lot less inclined to give his supporters a free pass on this. In a democracy you do share a responsibility for who you vote for (or for not voting). Pretending otherwise is just a game people play because attacking the voters ain't going to change their views or who they vote for. At the end of the day you're still making a choice & there are consequences arising from that choice.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 3568