Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243392 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3225 on: March 07, 2017, 03:53:10 pm »

Basically everything Frumple just said minus the whole getting eaten thing. I wasn't so much thinking of specific examples as of hearing of isolated incidents where deer were domesticated by individuals.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: March 07, 2017, 04:02:05 pm »

That wiki page is also pretty broad because it includes animals kept as pets or are in captivity, which would end up including everything in private zoos and public zoos.

As for deer, the main example aside from Reindeer, are Fallow Deer

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: March 07, 2017, 04:06:02 pm »

Wtf, this is the spacegoat thread, not the "bunch of fucking animals which are not even a thousandth as awesome as spacegoats" thread!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: March 07, 2017, 04:10:10 pm »

I just realized how wildly off topic this whole discussion is.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: March 07, 2017, 04:13:44 pm »

Not sure why I said "anyways, offtopicness and all that" and still replied to the posts that kept coming up, heh.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15:51 pm »

Tame animals and domesticated animals are two very different kettles of fish.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: March 07, 2017, 04:16:39 pm »

Sort of not really :P

"Domesticated' is a lot like... "Weed" it is in the eye of the beholder.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: March 07, 2017, 04:17:45 pm »

Something something Orwell something something Animal Farm something something.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: March 07, 2017, 04:20:41 pm »

No, there are rigorous definitions here. A domesticated species is one that, through generations, has little difficulty forming mutualist relationships with humans. See: Dogs. There are no tame species. There are only tame animals, and a tame animal can only be wild in the same way a feral animal can only be domesticated. If you tame a wolf and know enough about wolf psychology to do the job right, it'll probably be safe to be around said wolf, but its litter could grow up and kill you.

Or if we want to keep to fish kettles, koi are domesticated while other fish are not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: March 07, 2017, 04:33:58 pm »

One thing I notice on the wiki page is that falcons (of various species) aren't on there, because falconry and all that. Don't know whether that counts as being domesticated or semi-domesticated though.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: March 07, 2017, 04:36:54 pm »

Vault 7's opened up a ton of secret CIA tools. I haven't looked through it yet, but the rumors say that they can basically turn any phone into a listening device.

Interesting how as soon as Trump gets in an argument with someone, Wikileaks releases something about that someone.

Not defending the CIA, of course. It's just that we won't really be safe until the last Republican is strangled with the entrails of the last CIA goon.

It's pretty common knowledge that state agencies collect zero-day vulnerabilities for exploitation. There is a whole cottage industry around it, with major security firms selling exploits.

Among the exploits themselves there aren't any huge surprises so far (although the TV hack is a sexy little move). Most of the hacks are at least along the lines of what you would see at DEF CON, Blackhat or any number of similar conferences. Of course, given most people don't pay attention they might be surprised to hear about hacking cars and random IOT devices that have no reason to be online. Worryingly they might also not realise that the only thing stopping an older Android phone (version 4.4 or earlier for sure) being a hostile bugging device is a lack of interest in what you do every day and extremely good opsec. Most devices/programs never get a good security audit or attract enough attention to be worth an exploit, so there are millions of these sorts of zero-day vulnerabilities out there. Thousands more known and documented - even fully and publicly exploited - vulnerabilities can't or won't be patched due to a poor update channel or it just being impractical. Agencies like to keep them in their pocket in case they can come in useful at some point.

They haven't released the tools themselves, at least yet, and have seemingly done a reasonable job with redactions in what has been released so far. I'm hoping they are at least in touch with the providers of the vulnerable software and working with them to get the holes closed before they release more details. Some of the information released so far could probably lead to public exploits, but without the code it does give the maintainers a running chance at getting them patched before anyone can actually start hitting them. The bigger danger is the exploit code getting out before a patch.

It looks like the source of the hacks was a development board of some sort, which means we are extremely unlikely to know anything about how any of the exploits were used, if at all. Further, without a lot more than this initial dump, we probably won't know how many of the vulnerabilities were even leveraged into practical exploits. I doubt this will tell us much at all about CIA activities other than what a few groups of their programmers/hackers and associated external contractors and contacts have worked on.

Still going to be juicy bits to chew over in the pub chats this week.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: March 07, 2017, 04:38:37 pm »

I've never had a kettled fish fetch a stick for me. That's all I know. Which doesn't bode well for me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: March 07, 2017, 04:38:48 pm »

In more politically related discussion, I think real life is parodying itself now?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: March 07, 2017, 04:39:36 pm »

I've certainly ran into deer that were pretty much entirely acclimated to humans and human contact, at least. Story behind them usually seems to be being raised from birth or very young in close proximity and regular contact with people. Seems to end with someone eating them, too.
The issue is that deer are not terribly useful as domesticated animals.  They're not predators and they're too frail to be effective pack animals or meat sources.  So even if the humans of the past could have befriended some deer, they had no reason to commit to the generations long affair of domestication.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: March 07, 2017, 04:49:18 pm »

In more politically related discussion, I think real life is parodying itself now?

Seems like it's because the way it's set up currently, it's going to make nobody happy. This 538 article has a pretty good breakdown of the various groups. It's also coming down to the fact that the Republicans can't fully agree on it and theres the conservative wing vs the moderate wing.

The fact that they tried to do it secretly doesn't help things either.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:51:04 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 3568