Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243897 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3195 on: March 06, 2017, 11:25:47 pm »

Could be worse. In England, you have to pay for grocery bags.

Simple solution, bring your own reusable bags.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: March 06, 2017, 11:29:07 pm »

I was surprised that nobody labeled that law communist, but then I remembered that it was the UK.

Obama did the light bulb thing, which was clearly a communist plot.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-plastic-bags-20161111-story.html
As a caregiver, Sadie Hodge frequently buys groceries for her elderly and immobile patients.
But Hodge got a surprise Friday morning at the checkout line at a Compton Food 4 Less — a 10-cent-per-bag fee that went into effect after voters narrowly approved the nation’s first statewide ban on single-use plastic bags at most grocery stores.
She had “no words” for her annoyance.
“I was just in this store a couple of days ago and today I'm back and I had to buy bags,” said Hodge, who sees those dimes adding up to dollars of extra cost. “I was used to the convenience of not having to think about this, and that has just stopped.

Basically, go fuck your "convenience" of not having to think about all the plastic bags that kill wildlife. Bring the same bags back and you won't have to pay again.

[quoteLee Califf, executive director of the trade group, has called the bill a “backroom deal between the California Grocers Assn. and their union friends to scam consumers out of billions of dollars in bag fees — all under the guise of environmentalism.”

^ Plastic industry spokesman, saying "unions" are behind it. That's basically labeling this communism in different words.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:32:32 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: March 06, 2017, 11:36:39 pm »

Reuse your damn shit, idiots. Landfill bad!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: March 06, 2017, 11:41:39 pm »

Could be worse. In England, you have to pay for grocery bags.

Simple solution, bring your own reusable bags.
Yep. The bags they sold were intended to be reused multiple times. Really rather economical.

They're doing that now in California btw, started with the new laws that voted on in November.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: March 06, 2017, 11:46:53 pm »

Municipal filtered/chilled water refillers might be something that would save the state money on dealing with landfilled drink bottles too. But that would probably be called communism too. Disposable water bottles weigh a lot more than bags and take up more room in a landfill.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: March 06, 2017, 11:54:45 pm »

Municipal filtered/chilled water refillers might be something that would save the state money on dealing with landfilled drink bottles too. But that would probably be called communism too. Disposable water bottles weigh a lot more than bags and take up more room in a landfill.

literally everywhere now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
people have no excuses for buying small overpriced plastic bottles of water that came from literally an hours drive away from where I'm at.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: March 07, 2017, 12:00:11 am »

And any claim that businesses are going to miss out is misplaced. People who refilled a drink bottle for free have more money to spend on other things.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: March 07, 2017, 01:38:25 am »

This amused me:
One added challenge for White House aides is that Trump’s statements are eligible for potential future backtracking.

“SEE YOU IN COURT,” Trump tweeted about the immigration order last month. But on Monday, the new order he signed will revoke the original one once it goes into effect.

“If the ban were announced with a one week notice, the ‘bad’ would rush in our country during that week. A lot of bad ‘dudes’ out there!” Trump tweeted on Jan. 30 defending the rush for the first order. On Monday, his administration announced their new order wouldn’t go into effect for 10 days.

Also, I'm reminded of a very interesting Politico article that I think a lot of people here, particularly those interested in US foreign policy under Bush and Obama. Very interesting discussion of the Foreign Policy ExpertsTM and how they are taking the new Administration (short answer: badly) and what they are doing about it (short answer: panic and undermine). It's in a sense a replay of a scene we've seen in several other places, but particularly given the foreign policy crowd and their somewhat more existential fear of Trump. I'd like to share it after the Healthcare thing has died down a bit, though, since that deserves discussion.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: March 07, 2017, 06:19:25 am »

literally everywhere now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
people have no excuses for buying small overpriced plastic bottles of water that came from literally an hours drive away from where I'm at.

Unless you live in Michigan!
Love, scriver~

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: March 07, 2017, 07:10:31 am »

What if Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton Had Swapped Genders?

Apparently it wouldn't really change things, much to the surprise of the liberal-minded people who organized this experiment and the liberal-minded audience that listened to the gender-swapped debates.
._.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: March 07, 2017, 07:26:21 am »

What if Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton Had Swapped Genders?

Apparently it wouldn't really change things, much to the surprise of the liberal-minded people who organized this experiment and the liberal-minded audience that listened to the gender-swapped debates.

Well saying "grab em by the pussy" would certainly have a different association.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: March 07, 2017, 07:36:51 am »

It's really interesting when that sort of research completely contradicts the assumptions they were taking into the experiment, and what they were supposed to "prove" by doing the research.

Salvatore says he and Guadalupe began the project assuming that the gender inversion would confirm what they’d each suspected watching the real-life debates: that Trump’s aggression—his tendency to interrupt and attack—would never be tolerated in a woman, and that Clinton’s competence and preparedness would seem even more convincing coming from a man.
Many were shocked to find that they couldn’t seem to find in Jonathan Gordon what they had admired in Hillary Clinton—or that Brenda King’s clever tactics seemed to shine in moments where they’d remembered Donald Trump flailing or lashing out. For those Clinton voters trying to make sense of the loss, it was by turns bewildering and instructive, raising as many questions about gender performance and effects of sexism as it answered.
We both thought that the inversion would confirm our liberal assumption—that no one would have accepted Trump’s behavior from a woman, and that the male Clinton would seem like the much stronger candidate. But we kept checking in with each other and realized that this disruption—a major change in perception—was happening. I had an unsettled feeling the whole way through. 

~~~

BTW: if you really want to bankrupt America, there's an easy way to do it. Get everyone to withdraw all their money in pennies. Pennies currently cost 1.8 pennies to mint.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:40:31 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:23 am »

Well saying "grab em by the pussy" would certainly have a different association.

They had to cut things as just too difficult to use ("My time as First Lady(=>Man)...", for example, and Trump!surrogate's thing about the three women who had accused the opponent's husband(=>wife) of sexual assault was snipped as problematic.

That embedded clip of the rehearsal was... unnerving.

much to the surprise of the liberal-minded people who organized this experiment and the liberal-minded audience that listened to the gender-swapped debates.
Well, that's what you'd expect from those namby pamby pinko commie librulls!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: March 07, 2017, 09:14:33 am »

So this happened:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-reverses-pledge-to-mandate-us-steel-for-keystone_us_58bbae99e4b0fa65b844b451

I don't know what to think.  I suspect it's just a blunder by Trump administration.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: March 07, 2017, 10:15:01 am »

Grab 'em by the penis.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 3569