Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244677 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3075 on: March 04, 2017, 05:22:35 pm »

Sorry... Let me also eliminate Egypt (Especially since most people don't know where it is)... If only because that is the ONLY thing people would know.

Babylon? Sure! If they know anything factual about it... and not another reference to the Tower :P

Yes I am moving Goalposts! but you know what I mean. I am not trying to create an unfair challenge I am trying to demonstrate how scant African history is... but apparently Egypt is the token African country xD
you mean most people don't know about ancient Nubia? shocking!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: March 04, 2017, 05:26:39 pm »

I think the only thing people know about Nubia is  the word Nubian... which is typically said to mean "Black and beautiful"

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: March 04, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »

I think the only thing people know about Nubia is  the word Nubian... which is typically said to mean "Black and beautiful"
i think the only other thing besides Egypt to be mentioned in high school was Mali.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: March 04, 2017, 05:33:48 pm »

I find it hilarious that I could dare people to tell me African history that didn't involve the slave trade... :P

Asian? Ok... European? Ok... Australian? Sure (afterall it involves Europe).

African? :P

To admit I am not sure if people know any south American history either... and probably say Mexico is in South America.
You might be surprised. Egypt, Nubia, and Carthage are fairly present in pop culture.
And don't forget Babylon
Yeah! Don't forget Bab... hey, wait a minute!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: March 04, 2017, 05:51:17 pm »

Remember the Alamo
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: March 04, 2017, 05:54:28 pm »

Alamo is overexposed. Remembering Goliad is much more patriotic.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3081 on: March 04, 2017, 06:16:25 pm »

He served 9 months in juvenile detention. Which is the reason for his deportation. 7 or 8 years ago, the previous Canadian government made a new law to deport any foreigner that served more than 6 months. Apparently that included juvenile detention of 40 years ago. They guy has been in legal procedure fighting the verdict for the past 7 years, and now he lost his final plea before federal court.
I believe he is scheduled to be put on a plane coming monday.
I don't really have much sympathy for people who threaten the lives of others in such a manner but that is a rather odd precedent to set, that of retroactive criminal deportation. Then again I don't know Canadian law so maybe that's how they do things ~o.O~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: March 04, 2017, 08:28:25 pm »

In terms of Canadian law it was a stupid oversight. Typically in these cases they either get pardoned or the Canadian court overturns it.

There was a serious issue with a HUGE amount of Jamaican deportations in Canada... But that was patched up I THINK before it got serious.

Mind you in a lot of these cases it is because they don't apply to Canadian citizenship as well. Since I believe regardless of why you are in Canada, I think... you can apply for citizenship? It has been a while since I checked and citizenship is one of the toughest things to research.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: March 04, 2017, 08:43:39 pm »

Wait, so canadia has no model for forfeiture of punishments? I'm not sure what the exact judicial term in english is (if it even exists), but many a legislation employ this one institute which dictates that, after a set ammount of time has transpired after a crime has been committed, the state's right to punish a person and all the possible legal effects related to said crime and its punishment effectively expire, meaning a person cannot be punished or suffer any legal repercussions for, say, a theft he or she commited +30 years ago, for example, specially if he or she has already served his sentence. This isn't applied to all crimes and all kinds of punishment, however, but for something as mundane as threatening someone with a gun, being affected by such an event after more than 40 years have passed is kind of ridiculous and inhumane. "Right to be forgotten" and all that.

That goddamn canadia has no model for this is kind of really ridiculous, and makes its legislation seem kinda medieval by modern standards.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:47:14 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: March 04, 2017, 08:50:42 pm »

Have you SEEN what Canadian Jails were like in the 20s?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: March 04, 2017, 09:01:29 pm »

it's not just forfeiture, it's likely also a violation of the ne bis in idem principle. Latin for 'not twice in the same'. This is a basic principle in most western justice systems which dictates that no one can be punished twice for the same offence.
Deportation is a grey area though, because it's technically not a punishment.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: March 04, 2017, 09:05:16 pm »

HAH, I knew I was forgetting something I intended to write when I started typing but eventualy got sidetracked and forgot. Ye, it also violates that one basic principle, which is also strongly supported in the universal declaration of human rights, meaning this whole mess is likely far from over.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: March 04, 2017, 09:33:20 pm »

Wait, so canadia has no model for forfeiture of punishments? I'm not sure what the exact judicial term in english is (if it even exists), but many a legislation employ this one institute which dictates that, after a set ammount of time has transpired after a crime has been committed, the state's right to punish a person and all the possible legal effects related to said crime and its punishment effectively expire, meaning a person cannot be punished or suffer any legal repercussions for, say, a theft he or she commited +30 years ago, for example, specially if he or she has already served his sentence. This isn't applied to all crimes and all kinds of punishment, however, but for something as mundane as threatening someone with a gun, being affected by such an event after more than 40 years have passed is kind of ridiculous and inhumane. "Right to be forgotten" and all that.

That goddamn canadia has no model for this is kind of really ridiculous, and makes its legislation seem kinda medieval by modern standards.
Is there a statute of limitations on this?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: March 04, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »

Is there a statute of limitations on this?

Typically when you take the time out of your busy schedule to get citizenship. which I think... like... two years to automatically qualify for it.

And Canada allows dual citizenship.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:18 pm »

Full protection of a nation's laws and rights only comes with citizenship of that nation.

That's not to say there are no protections for non-citizens in Canada. But they and any other country can also dump non-citizens out for basically any reason as well. Because technically they are there only as foreign visitors. Even a "permanent resident" is only there at the allowance of the state. Allowance that can be revoked at any time the government deems is appropriate.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 3569