Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244657 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3060 on: March 04, 2017, 08:58:01 am »

I forgot if that guy was Canadian or British.

Anyways, aside from deportation sheneinighans, I don't see how the Canada derail has to do with the US.

Though if you guys want to compare and contrast Canadas immigration system with the US's immigration system, that's fair.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: March 04, 2017, 09:08:47 am »

Relatively little (save stateside bullshit is probably influencing the issue discussed to some degree), but this is technically the ameripol thread, and for all we like to ignore there's anything in these continents except us, there are other countries on this landmass, heh. Been fairly consistent that these threads are where canada or SA stuff pops up in the rare occasions they do.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: March 04, 2017, 09:24:52 am »

Relatively little (save stateside bullshit is probably influencing the issue discussed to some degree), but this is technically the ameripol thread, and for all we like to ignore there's anything in these continents except us, there are other countries on this landmass, heh. Been fairly consistent that these threads are where canada or SA stuff pops up in the rare occasions they do.

Nice loophole, heh. Okay.

In other news, Trump seems to be getting more desperate, he's now accused the Obama admin (with no evidence) of wiretapping the Trump tower. At first, I thought he was going paranoid, but rather, he seems to be parroting a breitbart article.

The heck is he hiding? He keeps insisting there's nothing there, but if there really is nothing there, then why is he acting like a guilty man. As the saying goes, it's not the crime that gets you, it's the cover up. Politically anyway.

Donald Trump accuses Obama of 'wire-tapping' his office before election (slightly angrier version by WP)

Thanks Obama

*is ninja'd*

Dangit dude! lol. Total of three different sources now anyway.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:26:27 am by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3064 on: March 04, 2017, 09:28:26 am »

So what crimes did he commit
Pointing a gun at someone when he was 16.
Did he do his time in prison?

Is that the guy who tried to assassinate Trump when he was still a candidate?
Nah that was this guy

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: March 04, 2017, 09:30:15 am »

* Descan cries into his soup.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: March 04, 2017, 10:25:48 am »

Did he do his time in prison?

He served 9 months in juvenile detention. Which is the reason for his deportation. 7 or 8 years ago, the previous Canadian government made a new law to deport any foreigner that served more than 6 months. Apparently that included juvenile detention of 40 years ago. They guy has been in legal procedure fighting the verdict for the past 7 years, and now he lost his final plea before federal court.
I believe he is scheduled to be put on a plane coming monday.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:28:01 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: March 04, 2017, 11:22:36 am »

Found an piece written by a republican governor: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/opinion/against-protests-republicans-must-stand-strong.html?_r=0

I can see the disaster creeping up on them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: March 04, 2017, 11:27:20 am »

Found an piece written by a republican governor: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/opinion/against-protests-republicans-must-stand-strong.html?_r=0

I can see the disaster creeping up on them.

And as a Governor, he has to actually face those consistuents almost daily, unlike Congresspeople. Sounds like he's warning Republicans to not make the same mistake the Democrats did in 2009 and 2010 with blowing off or dismissing the protestors. Despite the obvious partisaness of it, he is making a very good point.

And yes, I can see the disaster creeping up on them, they're doing the same thing that Democrats did in 2009 and 2010, and I think they're doing the exact same thing with the healthcare bill by keeping it secret until they pass it, or until they finish. Deja Vu all around.

Funny how the Republicans are doing the very exact things that they complained the Democrats were doing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:29:56 am by smjjames »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: March 04, 2017, 01:54:16 pm »

Ok I have to ask Americans because this is something I doubt I could easily research.

How much does American history prescribe to the "Grand Narrative" format?

Or rather... by Grand Narrative I mean something like... It is written as if the USA was always going to be a thing. "This is how America was formed, you see Christopher Collumbus saw Native Americans who gave him Corn, then they became best friends and there was never any tension ever again until the Americans gave them cookies and diseases which wiped most of them out. Which goes to show that America should never try to foster strong relationships between the Native Americans ever again... and they never did".
Probably really really late, but from my experience in public school (around the 1990s) there was almost no mention of other countries in history class.  Everything before Christopher Columbus may as well not have existed.   The US-Mexican war was not even mentioned (I still don't know all that happened during it because it was literally never covered during my education), when history class got to world war one other countries started being mentioned, but it mostly focused on what the US did.   Same for world War 2, the african campaign and italy were basically ignored.  Wars after that were basically glossed over as unimportant.

Only in college did I learn history of other places.  Primarily the ancient history of the middle east, the roman empire, some snippets of china and japan that I think I learned more about from the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors games than class.  And then finally the revolutionary war.  Oddly enough the professor painted the US as the assholes for the revolutionary war.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: March 04, 2017, 03:11:05 pm »

for me most history was either American (always stopping at about the Vietnam war) or ancient history (mostly greek/rome, egypt, and some china) and maybe a little about medieval and Renaissance times, so yeah who cares about the boring countries in boring time periods.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: March 04, 2017, 03:13:17 pm »

I find it hilarious that I could dare people to tell me African history that didn't involve the slave trade... :P

Asian? Ok... European? Ok... Australian? Sure (afterall it involves Europe).

African? :P

To admit I am not sure if people know any south American history either... and probably say Mexico is in South America.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: March 04, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »

I find it hilarious that I could dare people to tell me African history that didn't involve the slave trade... :P

To admit I am not sure if people know any south American history either... and probably say Mexico is in South America.
You might be surprised. Egypt, Nubia, and Carthage are fairly present in pop culture.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: March 04, 2017, 04:51:08 pm »

You might be surprised. Egypt, Nubia, and Carthage are fairly present in pop culture.
And don't forget Babylon
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: March 04, 2017, 04:55:13 pm »

Sorry... Let me also eliminate Egypt (Especially since most people don't know where it is)... If only because that is the ONLY thing people would know.

Babylon? Sure! If they know anything factual about it... and not another reference to the Tower :P

Yes I am moving Goalposts! but you know what I mean. I am not trying to create an unfair challenge I am trying to demonstrate how scant African history is... but apparently Egypt is the token African country xD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:57:10 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 3569