Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245906 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2865 on: February 28, 2017, 05:25:02 pm »

Dang President Obama! doesn't have anything better to do?

Wait... What is Obama right now?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: February 28, 2017, 05:28:09 pm »

Some dude that's building a library, near as I can tell from some very cursory searching.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: February 28, 2017, 05:29:38 pm »

Some dude that's building a library, near as I can tell from some very cursory searching.

So he is a philanthropist?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: February 28, 2017, 05:31:39 pm »

If you mean title-wise, he's still President Obama. Even though he is not the currently sitting President of the United States, he is still a President of the United States due to having held the office. Going by the typical use of the highest office held by a person, he's not going to beat President unless that Chief Justice Obama thing really does happen.

If you mean job-wise, philanthropist isn't a job, it's just a reference for people who practice philanthropy. He doesn't have a formal job right now as far as I know, so in that sense he's just...some guy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: February 28, 2017, 05:39:13 pm »

The WH asked for Yemen raid details before the speech. Sounds like he might do some attempt at justifying the raid, but it'll be as full of hot air as his hair is.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: February 28, 2017, 05:50:33 pm »

So he is a philanthropist?

All recent presidents have had a presidential library built, a large chunk of it is usually dedicated to their own presidential public records. (Although I assume there's usually a copy of those also in Washington, D.C. somewhere, but these libraries are usually in the president's hometown or someplace otherwise important to them.)

EDIT: Here's a link that describes it better: https://www.archives.gov/presidential-libraries/about
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:52:19 pm by sluissa »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2871 on: February 28, 2017, 06:39:04 pm »

The EPA is needed, but over the years it has become too strong.

What does that even mean? Can I use that argument myself? "The military has become too strong."

Yeah, I like it! Conversation over, shut down the military.

This is great! "The presidency has become too strong." Wow, shut it down. "Florida has become too strong." Better fire the entire state. It's so EASY! I never realized it was this easy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: February 28, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »

Insert "one copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, noticeably chewed on one corner, as the entire contents of Dubya's library" joke here.

And "half a million fresh-from-the-printers unread copies of The Art Of The Deal, in one huge golden tower standing amidst a nuclear wasteland" for the future Trump library description, naturally...  ;)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: February 28, 2017, 07:11:56 pm »

The EPA is needed, but over the years it has become too strong.

What does that even mean? Can I use that argument myself? "The military has become too strong."

Yeah, I like it! Conversation over, shut down the military.

This is great! "The presidency has become too strong." Wow, shut it down. "Florida has become too strong." Better fire the entire state. It's so EASY! I never realized it was this easy.

Unable to deal with an issue? Sum it up as one line, then shut it down!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2874 on: February 28, 2017, 07:27:26 pm »

I certainly know that biologists and ecologists around the nation support the EPA solely because it annoys farmers. I was just talking to my professor, and he told me that aside from ranting at returning veterans about how god doesn't exist, his favorite activity is inventing fake science in order to support the EPA so as to ensure that farmers are occasionally inconvenienced.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: February 28, 2017, 07:35:33 pm »

I certainly know that biologists and ecologists around the nation support the EPA solely because it annoys farmers. I was just talking to my professor, and he told me that aside from ranting at returning veterans about how god doesn't exist, his favorite activity is inventing fake science in order to support the EPA so as to ensure that farmers are occasionally inconvenienced.

Why do some people have that mentality? I get it with ecologists and also with general environmental degradation, but seriously?

It'd be a heck of a lot easier to work with farmers to preserve the environment than work against them.

There's one thing that they could work together on, bees, because so many of our crops are pollinated by bees. If bees were to heavily decline, guess who would be affected.... farmers. Well, everybody would be affected, but farmers would get the brunt of it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:44:36 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: February 28, 2017, 07:42:56 pm »

The consequence of EPA overreach is annoyance. The consequence of EPA impotence is widespread health crisis and death. I think it's pretty clear what the rational error is in these circumstances.

Like, big donors haven't been trying to strangle the EPA for decades because they're concerned about some salt of the earth good old boys having their entrepreneurship ruined by The Dreaded Regulations, it's because they want to be able to dispose of toxic material in the water table you drink from, as this cost reduction will add an unprecedented .68% increase to the board's quarterly dividend. Progress!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: February 28, 2017, 07:50:05 pm »

It'd be a heck of a lot easier to work with farmers to preserve the environment than work against them.

There's one thing that they could work together on, bees, because so many of our crops are pollinated by bees. If bees were to heavily decline, guess who would be affected.... farmers. Well, everybody would be affected, but farmers would get the brunt of it.
Eh? I... I haven't met anyone in academia/environmental science that wouldn't like to be working with farmers. Probably a good 75+% of actual field work (related to farming et al, anyway) in that area seems to involve just that, near as I've noticed being out in these parts and having an existent if not substantial interaction with the work in question. There's not many people out there that are trying to work against farmers, near as I've noticed. I'm sure there is some out there, but the vast majority of problems vis a vis that sort of outreach ain't comin' from the folks trying to slow down our biosphere's implosion.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: February 28, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »

I think you might have meant to quote PTTG, frumple? i was just responding to PTTG's experience with his professor, and PTTG made it sound like a lot of biologists and ecologists act that way, which I doubted.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: February 28, 2017, 07:54:46 pm »

Oh. No, I'm like 98% sure PTTG's thing was satire.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 3569