Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4248109 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2805 on: February 27, 2017, 03:05:33 pm »

How can you be sure? I mean, granted, Trump's Administration is basically a colander on account of all those leaks, but Obama's and Bushes expansion of the NSA, wiretapping, the huge fuck-off intelligence datacenter in Nevada, that took a while for it to be leaked. Couple years after they started, IIRC.

I am sure because I looked at Ispil's sign. It is safe for all to view

Look at it now.

If you are afraid we will look together.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:52 pm »

The thing with guns and mentally ill was Congress doing that, not Trump.

I feel that it is very important to point out that the law hasn't changed much here. The rules on who can and cannot possess a firearm are the same now as they were this time last year. The Obama measure that they got rid of was a massively expanded reporting requirement from the Social Security Administration - one which would have required them to report on any mental health benefits, even those that do not legally disqualify you from owning a firearm. Much like Gorsuch's case history, the reporting on this greatly exaggerates the truth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: February 27, 2017, 03:11:30 pm »

Ironically, Trump's administration seems to be so leaky specifically because of his ruthless approach towards loyalty. He fires everyone who worked for Obama because he thinks that'd make them loyal to Big O instead of him (and doesn't think they could be both), but this causes the massive influx of new blood to inevitably be filled with inappropriate and apathetic hires that are more likely to leak information. He responds to perceived dissent by firing people without hesitation, but that just means it's easy to not be seen as potentially disloyal: verbally fellating Trump and his positions is enough to be above suspicion and hide that you're leaking info.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: February 27, 2017, 07:48:27 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/us/immigration-trump-illinois-juan-pacheco.html?_r=0

seems like all those buzz words about getting rid off all the "bad dudes" start to sound a bit off when the start rounding up beloved members of the community. fools just assume hes talking about some nebulous criminals somewhere that we were for some reason not getting rid of and he would never do this. this is what happens when a con man tells you about a non existent problem and says he will fix everything.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: February 27, 2017, 08:10:19 pm »

More generally, it happens any time a model of reality is at odds with reality. You implement the fix and things go to shit (best case scenario is that the fix does nothing at all).

The sad part is that many "models" (dogmatic ideologies) are also unfalsifiable because they have stock standard rhetoric which explains why the fixes backfire. And I don't think that's necessarily engineered in, on purpose. Like catchy memes, dogmas which are emotionally charged and have bullet-proof circular logic built into them will survive and spread better than versions which are fairly balanced and based on reason and facts.

In the case of right-wing anti-minority stuff, you do stuff against a minority group, and then if they get upset and protest or fight back in any way that's taken as proof of how terrible that minority is, so they need harsher crackdowns.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:23:23 pm by Reelya »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: February 27, 2017, 08:55:32 pm »

I don't know why the scare quotes are necessary. Dogmatic ideologies can have models too. Although perhaps the word "model" should be in scarequotes in your first sentence rather not your third, because I don't know what you mean by "model of reality". Is that not synonymous with ideology? Or are you aiming for something broader? Paradigm, perhaps? I like paradigm because it's not merely individual facts, but rather an entire theory of interpretation of those facts, which seems to fit your intended meaning.

But you tell me.

EDIT:
While I have the floor, I'd like to remind everyone that tomorrow is Trump's first primetime address to the nation and to Congress. With his popularity low, repeal going nowhere fast, controversial actions on immigration, a rudderless and slow-moving Congress, foreign policy misteps, leaks everywhere, media fights, Russia looming, and above all a culture war fully in swing, stakes are fairly high for him.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:46:24 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: February 27, 2017, 11:27:36 pm »

Spicer arranged calls between officials, reporters to push back on Russia stories

The officials included CIA Director Mike Pompeo and Senate Select Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Axios reported, citing a senior administration official.

The phone calls were in reference to a New York Times report that said Trump campaign aides and associates were in touch with Russian intelligence officials during the campaign.
Spicer reportedly connected the officials to reporters from The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal. During the calls, journalists were told the story wasn't true but weren't given details.

"Both of them said: All I can tell you is the story is not accurate," an official told Axios.

The Post reported last week that the Trump administration used senior members of the intelligence community and Congress to attempt to discredit the Russia stories.

The report came after CNN reported that the FBI rejected a recent request by the White House to dispute the media reports that Trump campaign officials had contact with Russian intelligence officials before the election.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: February 27, 2017, 11:42:03 pm »

I think that's a bit old, by a few days. Also, there was apparently a story that Trump had signed off on Spicer doing the crackdown on leaks with the cellphone checks, but then later the WH denied that is what happened. They can't even keep their story straight.

Anyways: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-budget-state-department-235454

I wonder when the last time a President tried (sucessfully or not) to slash State Department funding while upping Defense funding at the same time? Though it sounds like the aid programs rather than the core of it, but still.

While I have the floor, I'd like to remind everyone that tomorrow is Trump's first primetime address to the nation and to Congress. With his popularity low, repeal going nowhere fast, controversial actions on immigration, a rudderless and slow-moving Congress, foreign policy misteps, leaks everywhere, media fights, Russia looming, and above all a culture war fully in swing, stakes are fairly high for him.

It'll be interesting for sure. I'll bet 10, no, 100 internets that he mentions something about polls, crowd size, or anything related to winning the election.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: February 28, 2017, 12:17:30 am »

I think that's a bit old, by a few days.
No, it's actually from yesterday, if I haven't messed up the time-zone difference. Trump administration is pretty bent on removing that Russia story from the media because it's true and it has real potential capacity to sink Trump, so they keep trying to pressure media-related people practically every new day.

The "fervent defender of liberty", McCain, has a problem with Trump's hike on defence budget.

Namely, it's way too low.

McCain, Thornberry Decry Trump Pentagon Budget Boost

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump is pledging “an historic increase in defense spending” of $54 billion to $603 billion for the fiscal 2018 budget, but neither Congressional Republicans nor defense budgets experts were very impressed at first glance.

“Such a budget request would represent an increase of $18.5 billion above the level proposed by President Obama for fiscal year 2018. In other words, President Trump intends to submit a defense budget that is a mere three percent above President Obama’s defense budget, which has left our military underfunded, undersized, and unready to confront threats to our national security,” Sen. John McCain, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, says in a statement.

McCain said he and the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, Mac Thornberry, believe we should substantially spend more. They “agree,” McCain says, “a defense budget of $640 billion is required in fiscal year 2018 as a first step toward restoring military readiness, rebuilding our military, and reshaping our forces for the realities of 21st century warfare. With a world on fire, America cannot secure peace through strength with just three percent more than President Obama’s budget. We can and must do better.”
Warmongers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:01:00 am by Sergarr »
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: February 28, 2017, 03:03:49 am »

I don't know why the scare quotes are necessary. Dogmatic ideologies can have models too. Although perhaps the word "model" should be in scarequotes in your first sentence rather not your third, because I don't know what you mean by "model of reality". Is that not synonymous with ideology? Or are you aiming for something broader? Paradigm, perhaps? I like paradigm because it's not merely individual facts, but rather an entire theory of interpretation of those facts, which seems to fit your intended meaning.

But you tell me.

From the context I think he means something like paradigm, or the German Weltanschauung.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: February 28, 2017, 03:42:25 am »

Yeah, what I meant by "model" in quotes was your internal model of a system, which you used to make predictions, in the same sense that scientists refer to having e.g. a model of the atom.

I don't think it's actually correct to call that an "ideology", it's a "model". e.g. do we talk about the "plum pudding ideology of the atom"? No we don't, it's the  "plum pudding model of the atom".

In the same way a scientist accepts a specific model and uses that to make predictions about how changes will affect it, belief systems have models of specific things from reality, and they also make predictions about how laws etc will affect that model. When the model is wrong, the the proposed solutions aren't going to work, even if they would have been valid if the model was right.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:49:44 am by Reelya »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: February 28, 2017, 04:04:04 am »

America need more guns! Apparently... so you will add the equivalent of Russia's budget to your military budget.

I'm happy to see that Polandball is now a whitehouse advisor!
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: February 28, 2017, 04:08:54 am »

And McCain thinks it's not enough. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: February 28, 2017, 04:55:33 am »

I think that's a bit old, by a few days.

It was in the Axios report I posted on the previous page, but got a bit buried and took time to filter to other news outlets so easy to see why it looked like old news.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: February 28, 2017, 06:45:04 am »

Inb4 Trump makes NATO pay for the defense budget increase just like how Mexico is going to paywall.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 3569