Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4253964 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2670 on: February 25, 2017, 11:47:39 am »

Ouch, as much as we should get a handle on the illegal* immigration problems, we really should not be separating families, especially mothers. That second one with the sports practice is especially ouch.

*And legal immigration problems. I get the whole 'secure the borders first!' thing, but we need to deal with illegal AND legal immigration at the same time because the illegal immigration is a response to issues in the legal immigration system. I remember someone in this thread saying that an immigrant friend/colleague/classmate/accquantiance of theirs saying that the person had tried to immigrate legally (from Nigeria maybe, but that was to the persons recollection and I may be wrong on the country of origin), but it took too long or the system was too byzantine (I forget the exact complaint mentioned) and the person was like 'forget it, I'm bypassing the legal system'.

tll;dr
I'm all for getting the immigration system under control and reformed, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. Not to mention that we can't fix the illegal problem without fixing the legal issues at the same time.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: February 25, 2017, 11:52:53 am »

@palsch: They speak as if Trump or any of his admin (other than McMaster perhaps) ever read the Lawfare blog, which there is no evidence of. Though it sounds like they have sent it off to the new Nat Sec advisor, McMaster.

Saw that article weeks ago, and yeah, backfired on them badly. It's like they were thinking 'there's no wrong way to practice my open carry rights.'

Imagine them trying that most elsewhere, they'd get the cops called on them.

Even if "Open carry" is a right, that doesn't mean someone else isn't allowed to shoot you when you point a gun at them.

Also the cops note that the pair storming in like that caused members of the public to panic and flee, although you can't really see much in the video. I'm not sure Open Carry should include the right to cause terror and panic in other members of the public.

It says quite a lot that even I think they were in the wrong, and I am one of the most hard-line gun-rights people around.

Yeah, seems like their entire point was to cause a ruckus.

That is a big part of what bothers me - I don't like them making me look bad.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: February 25, 2017, 12:13:51 pm »

I remember someone in this thread saying that an immigrant friend/colleague/classmate/accquantiance of theirs saying that the person had tried to immigrate legally (from Nigeria maybe, but that was to the persons recollection and I may be wrong on the country of origin), but it took too long or the system was too byzantine (I forget the exact complaint mentioned) and the person was like 'forget it, I'm bypassing the legal system'.

Depending on the country, too long could be an understatement;
As of May 2016, for most countries, unmarried children of U.S. citizens must wait more than five years and siblings of U.S. citizens must wait more than 10 years. People from countries with high levels of immigration to the United States—Mexico, China, India, and the Philippines—generally have longer waiting times. For example, married children of U.S. citizens from Mexico must wait more than 20 years for a visa to become available, and Filipino siblings of U.S. citizens currently wait about 25 years.
And that's if you have a family connection to get into the queue in the first place.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: February 25, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/books-magazines/books/australian-childrens-author-mem-fox-detained-by-us-border-control-i-sobbed-like-a-baby/news-story/8232effc3566c821dbfceb9ba35ce0f2

Australian children’s author Mem Fox detained by US border control: ‘I sobbed like a baby’

BEST-SELLING Australian author Mem Fox may never return to the United States after being detained by immigration officials at Los Angeles Airport, saying she has never been “treated with such disdain”.

“I felt like I had been physically assaulted which is why, when I got to my hotel room, I completely collapsed and sobbed like a baby. And I’m 70 years old,” she told the ABC.

Ms Fox has received an apology after lodging complaints with the Australian embassy in Washington and the United States embassy in Canberra.

She told the ABC she was questioned for two hours by customs officers who appeared to have been given “turbocharged power” by President Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration.

“I have never in my life been spoken to with such insolence, treated with such disdain, with so many insults and with so much gratuitous impoliteness,” she said.

Ms Fox said she was questioned over her visa, despite having travelled to America 116 times before without incident. She was eventually granted access to the country.

She is the author of several best-selling children’s books including Possum Magic, Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes, Wombat Divine and Where is the Green Sheep?

What exactly was the reason for this? It sounds like she was singled out because her first name "Mem" sounds wierd. CBP have an obsession with targeting people over names which sound "Un-American".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 01:04:14 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: February 25, 2017, 01:04:07 pm »

I saw that on the Guardian too, there doesn't seem to be anything that could be possibly related to the travel ban, like that former Swedish Prime Minister. Even if the behavior isn't the norm, high profile incidents like that and Muhammed Ali's son are going to have ripple effects on things not remotely related to the travel ban.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: February 25, 2017, 01:09:20 pm »

At least 746 people were detained in US airports after Trump's travel ban. That is not counting people who were blocked from getting on planes in the first place. This is compared to the 109 Trump claimed in the aftermath, and appears to be incomplete. According to the article, they only asked for those detained in the 26 hours after the court order suspending the EO.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2677 on: February 25, 2017, 01:53:32 pm »

I'm worried that Trump has set a new low bar, and that future presidents will never again be Lincoln-quality or FDR-quality or Obama-quality or ever GHW-quality. Trump doesn't have the smarts to be a strongman, but imagine a mid-ranking general runs with chief strategist Steve Bannon in 2020. Maybe he proposes better veteran's benefits while he's running. More coherent than Trump, but still beholden to Bannonite thinking, that would be an even more serious threat.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: February 25, 2017, 01:56:12 pm »

I saw that on the Guardian too, there doesn't seem to be anything that could be possibly related to the travel ban, like that former Swedish Prime Minister. Even if the behavior isn't the norm, high profile incidents like that and Muhammed Ali's son are going to have ripple effects on things not remotely related to the travel ban.
stop pretending it has nothing to do with it. they have essentially been given free reign to profile the hell out of everyone with no repercussions. they were shits before but the order removed the little restraint they had.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: February 25, 2017, 02:06:13 pm »

I'm worried that Trump has set a new low bar, and that future presidents will never again be Lincoln-quality or FDR-quality or Obama-quality or ever GHW-quality. Trump doesn't have the smarts to be a strongman, but imagine a mid-ranking general runs with chief strategist Steve Bannon in 2020. Maybe he proposes better veteran's benefits while he's running. More coherent than Trump, but still beholden to Bannonite thinking, that would be an even more serious threat.

If anything, I'd argue the opposite. Remember that Lincoln and FDR both succeeded some of the worst presidents in American history. Lincoln came after Buchanan, who failed to do anything to stop the Civil War, and FDR came after Harding and Hoover, who respectively helped set up the economic conditions for the Great Depression, and sat on his rear doing nothing while it worsened. And yet, FDR and Lincoln still turned out as some of the greatest presidents in American history.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: February 25, 2017, 02:09:32 pm »

Somw devs talking about moving future GDC conferences to Canada, seeing as many game devs can no longer or aren't willing to travel to the USA. So expect to see some industry conferences moving North in the future.

... and to the above, yup. When there is an unpopular president they usually swing for an opposite not double-down on whatever that guy was like.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:11:29 pm by Reelya »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: February 25, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »

He has removed the bar, not set a new low one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: February 25, 2017, 02:13:11 pm »

Trump's victory was so tied to Putin's assistance his reality TV personality I'm not sure anyone could replicate it.  Criticism just kinda slid off Trump, but his fellow opponents in the primaries had no such immunity and I doubt anyone else would in the future.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: February 25, 2017, 02:13:53 pm »

stop pretending it has nothing to do with it. they have essentially been given free reign to profile the hell out of everyone with no repercussions. they were shits before but the order removed the little restraint they had.

It was an observation, not a statement.

We probably won't ever see anybody of FDR quality simply because he ran a bit over three terms (died early in the fourth) and it'd be pretty hard to cram all of his greatness into two terms. However, Buchanan didn't stop Lincolin from being great, neither did Hoover or Bush (for FDR and Obama, respectively). Trump hasn't quite gotten to Nixons level of horribleness (getting there though) and there are others arguably worse than Trump. We'll always have great presidents and terrible ones.

He has removed the bar, not set a new low one.

He'll certainly set a new one when he leaves.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:32:05 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: February 25, 2017, 02:55:19 pm »

He could die in office, it's been a while since you guys had one of those, and Trump is I think the oldest ever president. But he'll have to die in a sufficiently over the top way. No normal death for the Donald.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 3569