Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255258 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2595 on: February 24, 2017, 12:42:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rofl Greece what are you doing there

I'm guessing because we have a close relationship with both countries (though things are a little strained with Turkey atm) while the two hate each other.

Also, lol this: http://www.vox.com/2017/2/24/14725950/russian-flag-cpac I don't know whether it was an innocent thing because red, blue, and white, or some kind of prank or totally intentional, but it does seems strange regardless.

I'm guessing intentional on some level, although maybe innocent mistake on the part of the people actually waving them.

Some prankster probably went along the line outside as people were filing in and started handing out flags. Although given the ineptness of Trump's supporters I fully expect someone might have just ordered "Trump Red White Blue Flag" from ebay or something and got that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2596 on: February 24, 2017, 12:43:24 pm »

Isn't it a bit odd to open your door to the people whose country you've just wrecked. Don't exactly think they're gonna like you
We certainly absorbed a lot of Vietnamese, although most of them were from the South.
I agree with the sentiment of not treating defeated allies better, hell I think it's a travesty that countries like the USA and UK don't help more local guides who literally go out on a life and limb to help us. I stand by my earlier points tho

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 24, 2017, 12:43:39 pm »

Oh, I know we didn't do go there for that reason, and that it was post-hoc justification. But if we can cry foul with hindsight in regards to there being no WMDs, we can also do the opposite. On net, there was probably a loss, because it was handled poorly anyway. But I dunno 'bout you guys, imo genocide is one of those things I would seem unacceptable from a country. Like, it's one of the things where invasion seems inherently justifiable. Difficult, and not preferable to other means of ending atrocities, but certainly justifiable.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: February 24, 2017, 01:44:10 pm »

Regarding the WSJ, there's been a very interesting internal war going on over there. The reporters have accused the WSJ chief editor of being soft on Trump and harsh on Clinton (aided by the fact the editor put out an opinion article praising Trump after the election), while the editor has responded by stating the WSJ is focusing on facts and non-Trump news.
No you didn't, your balance was completely out of whack. It's a moot point opening your door to a couple thousand Libyans or Iraqis after blowing up their country, that's gonna do the millions left behind fuck all, and would've been better solved by either not blowing up their countries to begin with, or staying and getting the job done with regime change. All I can say is thank God that Trump has abandoned the regime change policy because it clearly wasn't working and the Neocon and Neolibs had barely done fucking up Libya and Iraq before setting their eyes on Syria and Iran. What did you guys genuinely expect would happen by killing every opponent to jihadist groups
Well the US doesn't typically have a policy of inviting people here. They usually come on their own. In fact they've pretty much always come on their own. In fact it's usually the US slowing immigration down, restricting things, setting quotas, anglicizing people's name as they come in, etc. Of course that's immigration by sea, where the US has a lot more control. Immigration through Mexico is a more recent phenomenon, and even the Bipartisan immigration bill heavily focused the border security aspect. I don't think there is any support for less border security, it's just that a wall is ineffective, expensive, and overall stupid. In short, bad policy. But we're not really in the business of inviting people, no.
Isn't it a bit odd to open your door to the people whose country you've just wrecked. Don't exactly think they're gonna like you
Maybe we just need extreme vetting? As opposed to the vetting we had before, of course. You know I still own a copy of the letter signed by J. Edgar Hoover ordering my grandfather expelled from the country due to his membership in the communist party of his home country (it didn't stick, incidentally, but that was due to... I'll just say my grandfather was a defector and other elements of the IC wanted him to stay).

But I dunno 'bout you guys, imo genocide is one of those things I would seem unacceptable from a country. Like, it's one of the things where invasion seems inherently justifiable. Difficult, and not preferable to other means of ending atrocities, but certainly justifiable.
Well legally (as opposed to morally) there is not only a justification, but a responsibility. All signatories to the UN convention on Genocide in 1948 agree to "punish and prevent" genocide, and to take such action as must be necessary.

Incidentally, reading the Wikipedia article had an amusing tidbit:
Prior to its ratification of the convention, the United States Senate was treated to a speech by Senator William Proxmire in favor of this treaty every day that the Senate was in session between 1967 and 1986.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:47:20 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: February 24, 2017, 01:44:55 pm »

Did you know that if you edit everything the Trump administration says in the media to have an audience laughter soundtrack in the background, it all makes 100% more sense?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: February 24, 2017, 01:47:27 pm »

So apparently the wall street journal now agrees with Trump in regards to his opinions on Sweden's immigration policy.

I used an archived page in order for people to get past the WSJ's paywall. Also, apparently a huffpost contributor posted a very similar article, which got deleted from the site, but thankfuly it got archived before that as well.

That's an opinion piece by the far-right Sweden Democrats though, not an opinion of the WSJ. More interesting to see them in the HuffPo though.

The Huff Pro guy also wrote this article however:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rene-zografos/ten-things-foreigners-lov_b_9109148.html
It's pretty nauseating and back slapping bullshit.

Pride
In many countries you find people that doesn’t care about their own culture, history or traditions. In America you want find them. It doesn’t matter how badly America is ruled. The American people will never give up on their country; they want changes for a better America and work hard to make these changes instead of sitting passive and doing nothing. It’s not difficult to see peoples admirations for their country when I visit the US. They have a built-in-pride in their country, which is beautiful to witness.

Oh FFS, I really want to punch this guy in the face and this isn't even the worst item. Can't take this writer seriously, America invented Patriotism, American invented Tradition, America invented Freedom, Ameria invented Inventing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:50:49 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: February 24, 2017, 01:49:27 pm »

But what if preventing the genocide of x people will cost the life of x times ten civilians?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: February 24, 2017, 01:53:49 pm »

But what if preventing the genocide of x people will cost the life of x times ten civilians?

... but then the dictator would have gotten away with it. And he'd be all smug and stuff. It's better to kill the extra people yourself to show him who's boss.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: February 24, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »

Amurica confirmed for Eldar
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2604 on: February 24, 2017, 02:02:19 pm »

Well the US doesn't typically have a policy of inviting people here.
Typically, but Obama and Clinton were catching Angela's drift

They usually come on their own. In fact they've pretty much always come on their own. In fact it's usually the US slowing immigration down, restricting things, setting quotas, anglicizing people's name as they come in, etc. Of course that's immigration by sea, where the US has a lot more control. Immigration through Mexico is a more recent phenomenon, and even the Bipartisan immigration bill heavily focused the border security aspect. I don't think there is any support for less border security, it's just that a wall is ineffective, expensive, and overall stupid. In short, bad policy. But we're not really in the business of inviting people, no.
Didn't say anything in the way of inviting, leaving doors unlocked and open is what I'm getting at, it's the European way and it fucked up Europe hilariously. Regarding the wall, you can get some walls built to stand against military attacks with smart integrated sensors. The wall will be worth it if it fucks up CIA drug smuggling lines lmao
Assuming those exist of course. Then the weight shifts to airports and coastguard

Maybe we just need extreme vetting? As opposed to the vetting we had before, of course. You know I still own a copy of the letter signed by J. Edgar Hoover ordering my grandfather expelled from the country due to his membership in the communist party of his home country (it didn't stick, incidentally, but that was due to... I'll just say my grandfather was a defector and other elements of the IC wanted him to stay).
That seems reasonable, I don't have much to add except that that sounds expensive and I'm not sure what effective qualifiers you could set up

... but then the dictator would have gotten away with it. And he'd be all smug and stuff. It's better to kill the extra people yourself to show him who's boss.
No, the relevant question is if you declare war on the dictator, will you win.
Kill the extra people, destroy the country, wipe out the dictator and his family, but you better be sure you have overwhelming force and the resources to rebuild all that broke. Otherwise it turns to complete and total shit and you'll have lost. One dictator will fall and be replaced by worse warlords

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: February 24, 2017, 02:32:05 pm »

Spoilered because I just realized that this is probably better for armchair general, but I might as well post it anyway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Korea was a completely different war from Vietnam and I wouldn't say the US lost the Korean war. The most primary goal was to defeat the North Korean invasion of the south, a goal that was definitely achieved. The extended goal of removing the North Korean regime however, was not.

Though your point about the power vacuum is very true. It is one of the reasons why Post-war Germany did so well and Iraq did so poor. In Germany the Allies assumed direct command at the top and most civil servants were kept into position, even when affiliated with the Nazi party. Only the top Nazi's and war criminals were removed.

In Iraq however everyone affiliated with the Baat party in any way was removed from power. Not only did this create a power vacuum, these people also formed the seed of the insurgent groups. Furthermore the US made itself impotent by trying to installing a democratic government way to early. This government was impotent and corrupt, severely hampering all efforts at rebuilding the country.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: February 24, 2017, 03:00:47 pm »

Didn't say anything in the way of inviting, leaving doors unlocked and open is what I'm getting at, it's the European way and it fucked up Europe hilariously. Regarding the wall, you can get some walls built to stand against military attacks with smart integrated sensors.
But you have to remember what we're talking about. It's a really big fucking wall. It's 2000 miles of wall to build, maintain, and defend, forever. Every extra foot taller or sensor necessary to make sure it actually does what it is supposed to do is a lot more cost. And as of right now no one has any idea where the money to build it should come from, and legally it has to come from somewhere due to sequestration imposing rules on Congress's spending.

So that's where the skepticism comes from. I mean sure, I could imagine a great-big wall that just keeps everyone out, but is it cost-effective? The wall already has got the cost part down, but to be effective it needs even more cost, which means it needs to be even more worthwhile for what we're paying for it. 
That seems reasonable, I don't have much to add except that that sounds expensive and I'm not sure what effective qualifiers you could set up
Well current law bars anarchists, communists, totalitarians, and advocates of assassination, government overthrow by force, destruction of property, and sabotage, in addition to a general rule mandating that you must be 'attached to the principles of the Constitution of the United States, and well disposed to the good order and happiness of the same.' I'm not sure how it's applied (I've not had to go through immigration myself), but the precedent is certainly there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:03:31 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: February 24, 2017, 03:07:31 pm »

So Trump is banning certain news agencies from his press conferences now.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/24/media/cnn-blocked-white-house-gaggle/index.html
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: February 24, 2017, 03:09:49 pm »

it sounds like he just wants to invite people who will listen to him, not people to actually report on things.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: February 24, 2017, 03:13:07 pm »

Banning overthrowing a government by force sounds like a bad idea. Most of our Western ideals and state forms were acquired through overthrowing a government by force.

EDIT: especially considering the 2nd amendment, I cannot imagine that overthrowing a government by force is actually illegal in the US.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:19:18 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 3570