Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4255940 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2565 on: February 23, 2017, 07:54:32 pm »

They're really going full Streisand Effect with this.

Yes,they are certainly at high risk of it blooming, since calling attention to it is the last thing they want to do, not to mention doing something that just looks suspicious overall.

Trump requested an intelligence report to justify the travel ban, regardless of the views of the IC.
A second issue for many in the intelligence community is the notion of the Trump White House seeking an intelligence report to fit the policy instead of the other way around, sources tell CNN.

Even if they did find something to justify it, they can't exactly blab it out and they'll still have to prove it.

But yeah, this kind of smacks of the whole Bush Iraq WMD debacle, except instead of the intel community screwing up, they're intentionally trying to find a fake narrative.

More that, unlike Bush, they don't like Trump enough to actually do it when he asks. If it's even true in the first place, that is.

I imagine that they have their own reputation and integrity to protect, and it would have been in violation of protocols anyway.

Also note that in the last few days we have major stories about the Trump White House trying to issue political orders to the Department of Justice, FBI and DHS. All of these are meant to be largely independent, non-political bodies in how the execute their duties. Two of them are reportedly investigating senior White House executives right now.

Even Nixon tried to hide this shit.

Nixon did have Hoover though, the former (and deceased) FBI chief, not the President.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: February 23, 2017, 10:08:24 pm »

A top General says that the US is mulling long term 'commitment' in Iraq. Haven't we been there with the 'long term commitment' before? At least before Iraq kicked us out, because I swear we have.

Also, isn't 'no fixed end date' how we got into this whole mess in the first place?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:16:40 pm by smjjames »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: February 23, 2017, 10:19:20 pm »

A top General says that the US is mulling long term 'commitment' in Iraq. Haven't we been there with the 'long term commitment' before? At least before Iraq kicked us out, because I swear we have.

Also, isn't 'no fixed end date' how we got into this whole mess in the first place?

Yeah, there's no troops in Iraq now or anything.
http://www.kcentv.com/news/local/fort-hood-soldier-dies-in-iraq-death-under-investigation/410955443
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: February 23, 2017, 10:21:50 pm »

Yeah, there's no troops in Iraq now or anything.
http://www.kcentv.com/news/local/fort-hood-soldier-dies-in-iraq-death-under-investigation/410955443

I know there's troops there now, I'm just getting at the whole 'long term commitment' because the open endedness is how we got to this situation in the first place, and it's been a long term commitment anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: February 23, 2017, 11:54:55 pm »

But yeah, this kind of smacks of the whole Bush Iraq WMD debacle, except instead of the intel community screwing up, they're intentionally trying to find a fake narrative.

"screwing up". Nope, it was deliberate. But Bush & Co were smart enough to keep people in the loop. Me & the GF were watching a doco on TV and Hans Blix, UN inspector was interviewed and said that he got hold of the "intelligence report" on Iraq getting uranium that Bush had used to justify the war, he handed this to the UN intelligence services, and they came back and told him "this is a forgery". So not "wrong intel": "fabricated documents".

https://www.armscontrol.org/print/75
"According to the Senate Committee on Intelligence findings, the intelligence community knew as early as October 2002 that the document on which the claim that Iraq had tried to acquire uranium from Africa was based on a forgery," Kimball said. "The State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research and the Department of Energy registered their strong objection to the claim in the October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate that Iraq had obtained aluminum tubes for the purpose of enriching uranium, but the president and his advisors failed to heed these clear warnings that the worst-case assessments were wrong."

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2010/s2814997.htm
Quote from: Hans Blix
Now the US and the UK tried to maintain that the Iraqis were working on the nuclear sector and they alleged that a contract to be had concluded between Iraq and Niger for the import of uranium, of uranium oxide had taken place. But Mohamed ElBaradei showed in the Security Council in March 2003 that this was even a forgery.

Yeah, so the "intelligence community" NEVER fucked up over Iraq. They had the right assessment, it was the White House who were bullshit, but they threw the "intelligence community" under the bus when their lies were exposed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:59:55 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: February 23, 2017, 11:58:57 pm »

Yep. The neocons were so blindly devoted to democratic peace theory that they attempted to force the world toward a state of greater peace by starting wars.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: February 24, 2017, 12:01:40 am »

Actually according to the senate inquiry, the intelligence community knew the Iraq intel was bad back in 2002, but the administration overruled them. Then, when the shit hit the fan, the administration blamed the intelligence community for "screwing up", when in fact they'd used their own external foreign sources (who were anti-Saddam) as the evidence-givers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: February 24, 2017, 12:04:22 am »

Okay, but my point still stands that the Trump admin is trying to do the exact same thing (except backwards), just a hell of a lot less subtly, and for something different.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:05:58 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: February 24, 2017, 12:07:27 am »

Why rig intel to wage war on another country, when you can simply rig intel to wage war on civilians at home?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: February 24, 2017, 12:11:32 am »

Rigging/cherrypicking intel is still rigging/cherrypicking intel.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: February 24, 2017, 12:54:18 am »

Quote from: Dan Schneider
One of the first speeches at this year’s conference challenged the media to stop referring to the alt-right as conservative.

“There is a sinister organization that is trying to worm its way into our ranks,” said Dan Schneider, the executive director of the American Conservative Union, which runs CPAC. “We must not be deceived by [a] hateful, left-wing fascist group.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/02/23/cpac-organizer-denounces-alt-right-as-left-wing-fascist-group/?utm_term=.2b41726ff9f6

...wow

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: February 24, 2017, 01:19:17 am »

"So long, and thanks for all the votes, assholes!"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: February 24, 2017, 03:02:16 am »

So Trump wants to breach the New START agreement with Russia.
The agreement has been reached under the Obama administration, and determines that the US and Russia will have the same amont of nukes, and will keep it that way for 10 years.

Currently the US have 6800 nukes, and Russia has 7000.

Trump wants to expand the nuclear arsenal so that the US has the most nukes of any nation in the world.
"I would prefer to see that no one has nukes, but we will never fall behind, and will not allow any nation, not even our allies, to have more nukes than we have".
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: February 24, 2017, 03:38:39 am »

Yep. The neocons were so blindly devoted to democratic peace theory that they attempted to force the world toward a state of greater peace by starting wars.
Alternate viewpoint: Saddamn Hussein was filling mass graves with his genocide, but the international community was too apathetic to allow an attempt to do so if it would disrupt their economies/oil, and we needed an excuse.

Seriously, he was literally slaughtering people.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: February 24, 2017, 04:06:55 am »

Hello, dear friend! I am Samuel. I smile that I could unify to thee entire globe. I live in Netherlands, in the NH region. I dream to visit the different nations, to obtain acquainted with interesting individuals.

Damn dutch supremacist spambots...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 3570