Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4258213 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2550 on: February 23, 2017, 03:52:19 pm »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: February 23, 2017, 04:11:20 pm »

Honestly I think the better solution would be to bio engineer something already easily domesticated to be able to produce enough meat to be even remotely as cost effective as the whaling industry is.  They don't hunt whales just to piss off the rest of the world, they hunt whales because it's a lot easier to kill one whale and haul it to shore, than it is to haul in an equivalent weight in fish.  Japan doesn't exactly have the great plains to become a farming superpower.

Would be great if we could genetically engineer some kind of oyster or something to basically never stop growing and to be able to live off of the modern world's waste food.  But no genetically modified food is 'bad', nevermind all the problems it could solve, like an alternative to the whaling industry, crops that can grow reliably in places like deep africa, banannas immune to the bananna plague...  Just because one big gmo company decides to become Dr Evil, all gmos are bad.
Well also cuz' whale blubber and meat has been an industry for a very long time for a reason. :/

Also, a fair portion of the modern world's 'waste food' is perfectly good, and just doesn't meet standards for being considerable salable to the general public. So shittons of food gets dumped.

But yeah the anti-science portion of the environmentalist movement can be really infuriating. >.<
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: February 23, 2017, 04:11:31 pm »

If we bio-engineer whales to have tentacles, do you think Japan will finally stop killing and eating them?
Do we then stop these whales from killing and eating Japan?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: February 23, 2017, 04:32:19 pm »

I think Godzilla or Science Patrol is supposed to take care of that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: February 23, 2017, 06:17:03 pm »

The Trump admin tried to ask the FBI to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories, they failed.

It sounds very Nixonesque and now it really looks like they're trying to hide something. I'm gonna predict that the investigations will really ramp up. Whether the attempt was just due to ignorance or they actually were trying to hide something, time will tell, but either way, they've now shot themselves in the collective foot.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:19:21 pm by smjjames »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: February 23, 2017, 06:22:43 pm »

You know, all these leaks have painted an interesting picture of the White House. Earlier liberals were terrified by the various nominees, thinking they would face a storm of, well, you can imagine. I heard some conspiratorial types say that people like DeVos were intended to distract from people like Tillerson. But in fact, because Trump's White House is so at odds with itself, Tillerson may already be underwater. Combining this with the details about Betsy DeVos opposing the transgender rescinding (Sean Spicer claims it was a wording disagreement, but who listens to Sean Spicer?), it paints a picture where people who were decried by liberals as part of the Grand Trump Agenda may be at war.

In retrospect, that seems an oddly sensible thing to happen after you staff a good chunk of your cabinet with wildly unqualified and differently-flavored reactionaries.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2556 on: February 23, 2017, 06:25:12 pm »

The Trump admin tried to ask the FBI to knock down recent Trump-Russia stories, they failed.

It sounds very Nixonesque and now it really looks like they're trying to hide something. I'm gonna predict that the investigations will really ramp up. Whether the attempt was just due to ignorance or they actually were trying to hide something, time will tell, but either way, they've now shot themselves in the collective foot.

They could walk into the oval office and find Putin sitting at the desk with Trump in the footwell. It doesn't matter. The Republicans won't touch him.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: February 23, 2017, 06:40:14 pm »

Trump requested an intelligence report to justify the travel ban, regardless of the views of the IC.
A second issue for many in the intelligence community is the notion of the Trump White House seeking an intelligence report to fit the policy instead of the other way around, sources tell CNN.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:35 pm »

Trump requested an intelligence report to justify the travel ban, regardless of the views of the IC.
A second issue for many in the intelligence community is the notion of the Trump White House seeking an intelligence report to fit the policy instead of the other way around, sources tell CNN.

Even if they did find something to justify it, they can't exactly blab it out and they'll still have to prove it.

But yeah, this kind of smacks of the whole Bush Iraq WMD debacle, except instead of the intel community screwing up, they're intentionally trying to find a fake narrative.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: February 23, 2017, 06:47:30 pm »

Even if they did find something to justify it, they can't exactly blab it out and they'll still have to prove it.

But yeah, this kind of smacks of the whole Bush Iraq WMD debacle, except instead of the intel community screwing up, they're intentionally trying to find a fake narrative.

More that, unlike Bush, they don't like Trump enough to actually do it when he asks. If it's even true in the first place, that is.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: February 23, 2017, 07:00:21 pm »

Honestly I think the better solution would be to bio engineer something already easily domesticated to be able to produce enough meat to be even remotely as cost effective as the whaling industry is.  They don't hunt whales just to piss off the rest of the world, they hunt whales because it's a lot easier to kill one whale and haul it to shore, than it is to haul in an equivalent weight in fish.  Japan doesn't exactly have the great plains to become a farming superpower.
Sorry, that is a load of whaleshit, they hunt whales because that's what they did for centuries and now they want to enshrine and preserve it as a cultural thing.

*By-product is a euphemism for "meat sold to fund this super important scientific research with no results or publications or success at even funding itself" apparently. Though I realize now that this isn't the unpopular ideas thread, it's Ameripol.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: February 23, 2017, 07:21:22 pm »

Under Bush it was cherry picking. They had a goal and picked through the intelligence that existed and promoted that that supported their goal, even if it was flimsy or contradicted elsewhere. They then took the desired actions based on that selected information. But they at least made their case first, then acted.

This is taking an action then retroactively asking the IC to cook up some intel that justifies having done so. There isn't even a pretence that they already had it, just an assumption it exists or can at least be invented in a plausible manner.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: February 23, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »

More that, unlike Bush, they don't like Trump enough to actually do it when he asks. If it's even true in the first place, that is.
Or maybe they don't agree with it. It's certainly not hard to believe that there were those in the IC who believed going into Iraq was already a good idea, and were willing to go along with the rest.  If you thought Iraq was a good idea, then logically you'd be willing to help even if you didn't like Bush. On the other hand, I don't see what they get out of this. What Trump asked here is essentially "help me with an issue that affects my popular support", so it basically comes down to "Do we want Trump to have more support?"

It's a lot like saying they don't like Trump enough, but only because the only sort of people who would want to do it are people who already support Trump (or, I suppose, Russia, but there aren't many of those in the IC I imagine). The point of this theory is simply that there might be people in the IC willing to bend the rules if Trump asks for the right thing, but they will not do anything just to shore up Trump.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:50 pm »

They're really going full Streisand Effect with this.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: February 23, 2017, 07:46:27 pm »

Also note that in the last few days we have major stories about the Trump White House trying to issue political orders to the Department of Justice, FBI and DHS. All of these are meant to be largely independent, non-political bodies in how the execute their duties. Two of them are reportedly investigating senior White House executives right now.

Even Nixon tried to hide this shit.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 3570