Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4258163 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2490 on: February 23, 2017, 12:05:53 am »

I suppose the thing to be said isn't that a second civil war is inevitable. It's that before election day, if you'd asked me "will there be a civil war in the next couple decades?" I'd have laughed and said "no."

Today, the answer is "I don't know."

Which is far from "It's possible;" I don't even know if it's possible, but Trump's election proved that we can't predict the future with significant confidence. FiveThirtyEight came close, although they still had Trump at only 30% going in.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: February 23, 2017, 12:25:02 am »

For reference, the Syrian civil war, which is at the forefront of peoples' minds as an atrocity, has lasted for longer than that and has killed a combined total of 300-470k people, military and civilian alike, from a dozen or more actors, using modern weaponry.
That's only because there simply aren't that many people within Syria to be killed in those kinds of numbers. Look to Russia and especially China for the really bloody civil wars.
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: February 23, 2017, 12:30:05 am »

We might have a civil war but we're not going to have another Civil War.  A new conflict would look very different.  For one, we have nuclear weapons in both red and blue states, so a true old-style civil war would be a rather short conflict.

The big question mark in the case of some kind of domestic conflict is whether the US military plays it by the book and doesn't intervene.  If they do intervene, whatever they say goes pretty much.  But the intervention itself would be a huge blow to our country.  Once you've had one coup, or put down one populist uprising, that leaves the eternal doubt of "why not again?"  Even if the first intervention is justified.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: February 23, 2017, 12:43:26 am »

For reference, the Syrian civil war, which is at the forefront of peoples' minds as an atrocity, has lasted for longer than that and has killed a combined total of 300-470k people, military and civilian alike, from a dozen or more actors, using modern weaponry.
That's only because there simply aren't that many people within Syria to be killed in those kinds of numbers. Look to Russia and especially China for the really bloody civil wars.
True enough, though it's damn hard to get reliable numbers after decades of communist rule.

More of the point was about the relative magnitude, though. It's still far and away the worst war we've experienced, and it was over divisions which were never properly settled.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: February 23, 2017, 12:43:47 am »

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/explosive-situation-at-us-border-as-trump-unleashes-department-of-homeland-security/news-story/41a73ef4364aa34f2c86cb616589c465

Previous US policy called for only Mexican citizens to be sent to Mexico. Migrants known as “OTMs” - Other Than Mexicans - got flown back to their homelands.

However under a sweeping rewrite of enforcement policies announced Tuesday by the US Department of Homeland Security, migrants might be dumped over the border into a violence-plagued land where they have no ties while their asylum claims or deportation proceedings are heard in the United States.

US officials didn’t say what Mexico would be expected to do with them.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: February 23, 2017, 12:45:07 am »

This is the first thing that has happened during Trump's regime that I genuinely would have thought he was too smart to do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: February 23, 2017, 12:53:31 am »

I don't...I don't...I don't even what the EFFING HECK.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: February 23, 2017, 01:05:16 am »

Spoiler: Prescience. (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: February 23, 2017, 01:10:01 am »

We're not at war with Mexico.

Yet, anyway...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: February 23, 2017, 01:12:48 am »

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/22/media/trump-media-trust-quinnipiac/index.html

There is also a profound split between college-educated white voters and non-college-educated white voters, with the former trusting the media more (55% to 37%) and the latter trusting Trump more (also 55% to 37%).

Beware, Trump could in fact try and defund higher education, as his voter base is the uneducated.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: February 23, 2017, 01:13:32 am »

We're screwed, we're screwed, we're screeeeewweeeeeddddddd...

I don't know what I'd do without federal college loans.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: February 23, 2017, 01:18:39 am »

What, why is my browser exploding when I try to open these?
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: February 23, 2017, 01:22:47 am »

They're PDFs.
That doesn't explain why it's exploding.
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: February 23, 2017, 01:26:16 am »

Most likely.
Sigtext

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: February 23, 2017, 01:27:09 am »

We're screwed, we're screwed, we're screeeeewweeeeeddddddd...

I don't know what I'd do without federal college loans.

Well you'd have to see exactly how that goes. Student loan money is actually moolah that a lot of Republican donors actually suck up with their greedy Cthulu tentacle mouths. It actually makes up 86% of private for-profit colleges revenue for example, according to one study I read.

What Trump will probably do is his threat to cut off grant money to public colleges, so you still get the "debt" part of it, less of the "student" part of it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:28:52 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 3570