Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4258584 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2445 on: February 22, 2017, 03:24:42 pm »

I AM A HARPY, HEAR ME HARP

Me thinks milo is popular enough now that, even with the massive debacle, he can stay relevant on his own. One does not have to like him to admit that the guy is intelligent and savvy enough to stand with his own legs in the medium. How he handles the damage control from now on will decide how the rest of his carreer will play out, altough he's made himself into such a shocker that it might not be possible to ever regain his already lost prestige. I feel he played the role he was meant to play, and him falling out of the scene may open the spotlight for a better young right wing personality, one more more capable of uniting people rather than cashing in on the polarization.

A man can dream.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2446 on: February 22, 2017, 03:44:53 pm »

Sup guys, something that isn't milo

Remember how before I said it was very stupid for the left to endorse violence against the right wing when the right wing had the military, the police, militias, preppers and the most well-armed general populace in the world? That perhaps, pursuing violence instead of jolly cooperation would backfire tremendously?

Have a liberal say the same shit but liberally

The leaders of the Trump movement (the real leaders) are so disconnected from the media that most of us read every day, and from the information provided by the government, that they might as well be living in one of Jones’ alternate dimensions. To them, it’s 100% fiction, just shadows flickering on the wall of Plato’s cave. And, like the liberated cave dwellers, they’ve seen the outside, and they’ll never believe the shadows again, no matter how factual they may be.

The result is a dangerous disconnection between what we’re being told is going on and the beliefs of a substantial portion of the citizenry. Not a substantial portion like a couple million. A substantial portion like 100 million. This week’s Rasmussen Poll, for example, found that 45% of voting Americans believe America is on the “right track.” This is down two points from the record high, which was recorded two weeks ago, and is higher than any week during the Obama presidency. (The MSM would never report this because it doesn’t jibe with their narrative that the sky is falling. It’s doing us all a great disservice by failing to do so.)
I like how he tries to defend the MsM at the same time commenting on how it's undermining the left's operational capabilities

If you watch the news, however, if you buy the MSM, you’d think the number would be at an all time low. You’d think we’re on the precipice of total disaster. Trump cabinet members really are resigning. The FBI really is close to claiming that the Trump campaign collaborated with Russian officials. Yet, for many, many Americans, things are actually going better than they ever have. It’s this mass disconnection between reality and the establishment narrative that led Trump’s victory in the first place. It’s this mass disconnection that could also lead to the impeachment of Donald Trump and ultimately to the destruction of America as we know it.
DO IT AMERICANS
DON'T LET YOUR MEMES BE DREAMS
BLOWOUT SOON STALKER, LET IT HAPPENING

tfw too enlightened guy 4u

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: February 22, 2017, 03:54:02 pm »

Well, if he was (or attempted to be) impeached for some non-reason like 'because we hate you' and the reason is obviously political (what the Republicans tried on Bill Clinton may have been technically the right way to do it, but it was still extremely political), then yeah, there would be quite the outroar.

It's why Democrat leaders have been trying to tamp down talk of impeachment because that's not how it's supposed to work. It's such a serious thing that it's only been tried three times (two were accquitted, one resigned before it came down to the vote over it).

Sure, he might be impeached over something related to conflicts of interest, but they have to get actual evidence that he broke the law. The burden of proof is on the accusers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2448 on: February 22, 2017, 04:05:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you guys make the /r9k/ uprising reality I will die, my sides will be torn asunder and my innards will spill forth, killing me even as with my last breaths my lungs exhort karmic laughter

Well, if he was (or attempted to be) impeached for some non-reason like 'because we hate you' and the reason is obviously political (what the Republicans tried on Bill Clinton may have been technically the right way to do it, but it was still extremely political), then yeah, there would be quite the outroar.
It's why Democrat leaders have been trying to tamp down talk of impeachment because that's not how it's supposed to work. It's such a serious thing that it's only been tried three times (two were accquitted, one resigned before it came down to the vote over it).
Sure, he might be impeached over something related to conflicts of interest, but they have to get actual evidence that he broke the law. The burden of proof is on the accusers.
From what I saw they tamped it down on that because Putin was invading Korea. Though to be fair this has been simply delightful, I've seen people saying the burden of proof is on Trump because this is some sorta extraordinary circumstance. Though that does raise an interesting question, what counts for the leader of the Democrats? Who shall succeed Obama and reunite the party so that it will be ready to mount a fiery campaign

Fingers crossed: We gonna be Brave New World + Liberal Crime Squad

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: February 22, 2017, 04:13:01 pm »

Though that does raise an interesting question, what counts for the leader of the Democrats? Who shall succeed Obama and reunite the party so that it will be ready to mount a fiery campaign

That's exactly the question the Democrats are asking themselves.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2450 on: February 22, 2017, 04:21:09 pm »

Though that does raise an interesting question, what counts for the leader of the Democrats? Who shall succeed Obama and reunite the party so that it will be ready to mount a fiery campaign
Euro news has good coverage on this
I have nothing intelligent to say that isn't better said by the article, the DNC has a severe challenge it must face, it must reconnect its byzantine leadership with its high energy activists

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: February 22, 2017, 04:22:26 pm »

Fingers crossed: We gonna be Brave New World + Liberal Crime Squad
Only thing it needs is some billionaire to build a cave and we can have Big Batman is Watching You
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2452 on: February 22, 2017, 04:23:19 pm »

I don't think any save person wants to be president anymore. I can't think of a more painful experience.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: February 22, 2017, 04:41:52 pm »

Euro news has good coverage on this
I have nothing intelligent to say that isn't better said by the article, the DNC has a severe challenge it must face, it must reconnect its byzantine leadership with its high energy activists

Newsweek isn't Euro news. But yeah, they're also facing a generation gap. I'm sure you've noticed that all of the leaders and current major voices are over 60 and there isn't much of a bench of younger politicians who are rising stars. I know Obama is 55, but he doesn't want to lead the Democratic party.

Also, a side thing on the protests mentioned in the article, didn't the Democrats similarily dismiss the Tea Party movement? Sure, the words might not be exactly the same, but the Republicans (and Trump) are definetly making the same mistake by, well, dismissing the protests and calling them fake, manufactured, etc.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: February 22, 2017, 04:58:53 pm »

From what I've seen on a liberal-leaning forum - and it is going to be hard to believe - it's going to be Hillary fucking Clinton once fucking again. At least, there's a non-negligible portion of Democrats that really want to push her for President because reasons. Some other people claim that it must be, no matter what, a women or a member of racial minority. I've seen zero discussion of whenever the next Democrat's candidate must be competent or charismatic or have any qualifications relative to the job of actually being a President so far.

I'm pretty sure that those liberal extremists are in minority within their party, but you can never underestimate the influence of a very radical minority group on society; majority of NKVD members were Jews, after all.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2455 on: February 22, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »

From what I've seen on a liberal-leaning forum - and it is going to be hard to believe - it's going to be Hillary fucking Clinton once fucking again. At least, there's a non-negligible portion of Democrats that really want to push her for President because reasons. Some other people claim that it must be, no matter what, a women or a member of racial minority. I've seen zero discussion of whenever the next Democrat's candidate must be competent or charismatic or have any qualifications relative to the job of actually being a President so far.

I'm pretty sure that those liberal extremists are in minority within their party, but you can never underestimate the influence of a very radical minority group on society; majority of NKVD members were Jews, after all.
What was the saying, revolution is a spectator sport? Also that funny thing on how American rev was 10% one way and 10% the other, the rest just watched to see who won
I guess it's as a rule one of those things where you can't rule the crazies out but you also can't exactly quantify their influence easily. I'm gonna rofl if Bernie's back.
Looking at the DNC chair stuff is neat. Peter seems quality, recognizes the value in long term planning

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: February 22, 2017, 05:15:55 pm »

From what I've seen on a liberal-leaning forum - and it is going to be hard to believe - it's going to be Hillary fucking Clinton once fucking again.

If she wants to be a strong voice in the way her husband Bill Clinton does, that's fine, but she needs to butt out of a Presidential run because others need a chance to give it a go. She'd definetly be a strong king/queen maker. Though that would depend on how unified the Dems are because I could see a Hillary endorsement becoming toxic if the Sanders branch of the Dems are still somewhat alienated.

At least, there's a non-negligible portion of Democrats that really want to push her for President because reasons. Some other people claim that it must be, no matter what, a women or a member of racial minority. I've seen zero discussion of whenever the next Democrat's candidate must be competent or charismatic or have any qualifications relative to the job of actually being a President so far.

To be fair, they should take it one step at a time, their priority right now is to get the DNC chair selected. There will be plenty of time to discuss what virtues the next Dem president candidate should have. Besides, three years is a long time and candidates tend to emerge from the woodwork rather than outright selected. There's already a few people who seem like they're angling to do a 2020 run.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:22 pm »

Hell, for what it's worth we just got strong evidence that competence and qualification is neither necessary nor sufficient to take POTUS, and that charisma is pretty optional, too. Might not be much blame you can put on folks for ignoring those as a heuristic for choosing a candidate. Probably got a good three to four years to figure things out.

... though there's not really a sanders branch of the democratic party. Most of the folks that were hard into him weren't particularly aligned with the dems. Left, yes, but not part of the party (particularly in more than name) and only somewhat likely to be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: February 22, 2017, 05:33:18 pm »

Small link dump today;

The Shallow State
The shallow state is in many respects the antithesis of the deep state. The power of the deep state comes from experience, knowledge, relationships, insight, craft, special skills, traditions, and shared values. Together, these purported attributes make nameless bureaucrats into a supergovernment that is accountable to no one. That is a scary prospect. But the nature of bureaucracies, human nature, inertia, checks and balances, and respect for the chain of command makes it seem a bit far-fetched to me. (The bureaucracy will drive Trump, like many presidents, mad, and some within it will challenge him, but that’s not the same thing.)

The shallow state, on the other hand, is unsettling because not only are the signs of it ever more visible but because its influence is clearly growing. It is made scarier still because it not only actively eschews experience, knowledge, relationships, insight, craft, special skills, tradition, and shared values but because it celebrates its ignorance of and disdain for those things. Donald Trump, champion and avatar of the shallow state, has won power because his supporters are threatened by what they don’t understand, and what they don’t understand is almost everything. Indeed, from evolution to data about our economy to the science of vaccines to the threats we face in the world, they reject vast subjects rooted in fact in order to have reality conform to their worldviews. They don’t dig for truth; they skim the media for anything that makes them feel better about themselves. To many of them, knowledge is not a useful tool but a cunning barrier elites have created to keep power from the average man and woman. The same is true for experience, skills, and know-how. These things require time and work and study and often challenge our systems of belief. Truth is hard; shallowness is easy.

The commander in chief of the shallow state, for example, does not have much use for reading. Or briefings. Or experts. He is famously driven instead by impulse, instinct, and ideology. He and the team around him care very little for facts. (The Washington Post has been tracking his performance, and so far the president has not let a day go by without a major lie.) Indeed, as we have seen, Trump & Co. are allergic to demonstrable, proven facts whether they be of the scientific, political, social, cultural, or economic variety. With leaders like these, the shallow state exists only on the surface, propelled only by emotion and reflex. Therefore, anything of factual weight or substance disturbs, disrupts, or obliterates it much as a rock does when dropped onto an image reflected in a pond.

Going from that, have another article about Sebastian Gorka, one of Trumps advisors. This should be seen as a companion piece to the one I posted the other day, mostly dealing with the shallower side of his behaviour and his reactions to the criticism of the last few days.

Finally, some polling numbers. Top numbers in line with the other recent ones, some interesting questions lower down.
Opinions on most of Trump's personal qualities also are negative, as American voters say:

55 - 40 percent that he is not honest;
    55 - 42 percent that he does not have good leadership skills;
    53 - 44 percent that he does not care about average Americans;
    63 - 33 percent that he is not level-headed;
    64 - 32 percent that he is a strong person;
    58 - 38 percent that he is intelligent;
    60 - 37 percent that he does not share their values.

As far as 2020 goes, way too early to see. There are a few names I think would be interesting though. Tammy Duckworth for one. But I haven't seen any suggestions she would be interested.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 06:11:08 pm by palsch »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2459 on: February 22, 2017, 05:45:27 pm »

I saw a statistic somewhere that suggested a hilariously large proportion of these protestors lived with their parents, though. I doubt that statistic would hold true for the Tea Party movement, so it'd seem odd to take these ones more seriously.
Look at Red Guard or Young Turks

Educated NEETs can cause a hilarious havoc under the right conditions

If Clinton is excluded from consideration (perhaps they'll be unable to find enough virgins for her to bathe in the blood of, who knows), I imagine it'll end up being Elizabeth Warren. I already can't wait for the hilarious campaign ads that year. Trump will savage her - she'll miss the days of just being called Pocahontas.
I can't wait for 2020.
Git hype
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 3570