Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4258443 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2370 on: February 21, 2017, 02:45:07 pm »

I've literally never heard quisling anywhere in any context, but then I've never heard Benedict Arnold except in reference to the eggs.

It's someone whose duty to their constituents calls them to fight against the political conditions, but who instead accedes to the party in power, out of cowardice or cupidity. Although Vidkun in particular was ideologically aligned with the NAZI party, from what I've seen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: February 21, 2017, 02:52:42 pm »

As for Sluissa's hypothetical argument, that's just trolling.

There's a notable difference between trolling and specifically targeting someone's claims as false, or at the very least founded in poor logic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: February 21, 2017, 03:49:09 pm »

Benedict are nothing to do with Arnold
Both have a distinct german accent and are wrinkly. Nose is about the same, too.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: February 21, 2017, 05:36:02 pm »

Well someone is sure feeling under pressure: Trump's lawyer has told 4 different stories about the Russia-Ukraine 'peace plan' debacle.

For people who haven't paid attention, it's a "peace plan" of the "Munich agreement" kind of variety, i.e. Russia coups Ukraine via a corruption scandal, puts an extremely pro-Russian President in power, who makes a Ukrainian referendum on whenever to lease Crimea to Russia for 50 years or for 100 years "in exchange" for Russian removing its troops from Eastern Ukraine, basically making Russian takeover legal and eliminating the technical reason for sanctions, which makes it easy to remove sanctions themselves to enable mutually beneficial (for Russia and Trump administration) deals a la Tillerson's oil deal.

It's kind of a clever little plan, unfortunately it seems the Trump side has screwed up the OPSEC and it has been revealed by pesky New York Times journalists a while ago.
If Trump really plans to go along with a corruption scandal coup, it will create a major international incident, and likely a breach of relations between the West and the US.
I do assume however the good people of the US will impeach him before it comes to that.

It doesn't sound dissimilar to what was done during the Cold War. It's almost exacty the same kind of shady stuff we've done before. Not that it makes it okay of course.

I wonder who leaked the whole thing?.... The NYT article gives little or no hint as to who the leaker was, and almost seems like the politician that they were working with had went and blabbed it as he's quoted many times.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: February 21, 2017, 06:07:55 pm »

Hey why isn't America metric yet?
Because fuck your commie units. You aren't truly free unless you know what a yard is.
Well someone is sure feeling under pressure: Trump's lawyer has told 4 different stories about the Russia-Ukraine 'peace plan' debacle.
Give the White House Counsel a break. It's his job to prevent scandals before they happen, and so the man has the single most impossible job in all of D.C. right now.
I've literally never heard quisling anywhere in any context, but then I've never heard Benedict Arnold except in reference to the eggs.
Quisling is not a word you'll hear often, but in the right circumstances it does allow you to sound like an indignant Victorian (despite the fact that Quisling is named after a WW2 collaborator, Vidkun Quisling).
It basically means traitor to the people.
No reason to not be specific. A Quisling is a collaborationist politician or other government employee (I have seen it used to refer to military forces) who supports the occupation. You could use it in place of "collaborator", but that's the absolute limit of the word. I've never seen it used outside of that context. A traitor to the people for reasons unrelated to support of military occupation by a hostile foreign power would never be called a quisling. Selling out your country by trading state secrets (which some people accuse Snowden of, and which seems similar to supporting occupation) is still not somewhere where you'd use the phrase "quisling". It's only "supports the occupation of their homeland".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: February 21, 2017, 06:12:11 pm »

You aren't truly free unless you know what a yard is.

Uhhh... 12 inches for a foot... 8 feet to a yard?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: February 21, 2017, 06:21:38 pm »

... two yards to the rod, five rods to the fathom, root(2) fathoms to the chain, minus six chains to the furlong, e² furlongs to the mile (dry) and 2e furlongs to the mile (wet)...

Simples!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2377 on: February 21, 2017, 06:24:06 pm »

As for Sluissa's hypothetical argument, that's just trolling.

There's a notable difference between trolling and specifically targeting someone's claims as false, or at the very least founded in poor logic.

I'm sorry, you're going to have to be more clear, because right now it seems like you're seriously suggesting that it's in the public interest to torment homosexuals into committing suicide.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: February 21, 2017, 07:00:56 pm »

12 inches per foot, 2 pints to a quart, why don't we make it easy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCP8kiL3jhA

And no, a yard is 3 feet.
TBF, being divisible by 3 was pretty useful back then before calculators.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: February 21, 2017, 07:03:03 pm »

Recese in pieces Milo you dumb pedophile motherfucker, may the memes take you far from these vaunted halls.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: February 21, 2017, 07:06:23 pm »

Haha, so long you piece of shit.
Yeah you're right that we'd rather not be gay, well done, other than that incredible "insight" you're a disgusting shock-jock who rode homosexuality to fame.
Good fucking riddance.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: February 21, 2017, 07:09:17 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: February 21, 2017, 07:14:19 pm »

Hey why isn't America metric yet?
Because fuck your commie units. You aren't truly free unless you know what a yard is.
Give the White House Counsel a break. It's his job to prevent scandals before they happen, and so the man has the single most impossible job in all of D.C. right now.
Quisling is not a word you'll hear often, but in the right circumstances it does allow you to sound like an indignant Victorian (despite the fact that Quisling is named after a WW2 collaborator, Vidkun Quisling).
It basically means traitor to the people.
No reason to not be specific. A Quisling is a collaborationist politician or other government employee (I have seen it used to refer to military forces) who supports the occupation. You could use it in place of "collaborator", but that's the absolute limit of the word. I've never seen it used outside of that context. A traitor to the people for reasons unrelated to support of military occupation by a hostile foreign power would never be called a quisling. Selling out your country by trading state secrets (which some people accuse Snowden of, and which seems similar to supporting occupation) is still not somewhere where you'd use the phrase "quisling". It's only "supports the occupation of their homeland".
Great, now I'm confused as to whenever Helgoland has tried to insult or to compliment me!
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: February 21, 2017, 07:36:01 pm »

'Twas a compliment. Any occupying force needs collaborators - it's even better when those collaborators are actually convinced they're taking the country in the right direction.

As to your comment about secessionism being evil: Who ever said anything about secession? What I'm proposing is much closer to partitioning, with maybe direct administration of the less populated areas... Assuming that the area between the Atlantic Ocean and the Ural is not a smouldering radioactive hellscape by then, of course.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 3570