Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230163 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #1125 on: February 06, 2017, 06:28:20 pm »

Behold

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 06, 2017, 06:29:45 pm »

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 06, 2017, 06:31:55 pm »

I am not sure Hillary's speech would appeal to them. "We will take away your jobs and put you on welfare!" (ok that isn't what she meant, but that is what it might come out as)
That isn't what that speech that I quoted said.  It would not appeal at all to the polar opposite benefit scroungers, what with the incentivising jobs and putting people to work...

But maybe you had a different (mis?)quote in mind.  That was just the one I plucked (as the primary source for the Trump m srepresentation machine by only quoting the first patagraph in that selection).  It was a clever hook to fashion, and I really can't imagine any actual political speech (that wasn't straight up Trumplike in its through-and-through misinformation at source) being proof against the Bannons (or whoevers) fact-mincing machine, piped straight to the people who could be counted on to be sufficiently credulous.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 06, 2017, 06:58:04 pm »

It's just been reported that the raid a week ago, where the US killed a bunch of kids and lost a soldier, supposedly to gain vital intelligence, was not actually what it was reported to be. Apparently the real objective of the mission was to assassinate an Al Quaeda leader. Which did not happen. After the mission was botched, the US invented the "vital intelligence" to justify the all the deaths. And now the Al Quaeda leader is publicly mocking Trump for screwing up and lying to everyone.

*sigh*

EDIT: Al Quaeda, not ISIS.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:53:10 pm by Folly »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 06, 2017, 07:17:02 pm »

It's just been reported that the raid a week ago, where the US killed a bunch of kids and lost a soldier, supposedly to gain vital intelligence, was not actually what it was reported to be. Apparently the real objective of the mission was to assassinate an ISIS leader. Which did not happen. After the mission was botched, the US invented the "vital intelligence" to justify the all the deaths. And now the ISIS leader is publicly mocking Trump for screwing up and lying to everyone.

*sigh*

On whose word? ISIS?

Surely you see the problem there.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 06, 2017, 07:17:50 pm »

Is it bad that my immediate reaction to reading that is "ISIS is way more trustworthy than Trump"?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 06, 2017, 07:18:16 pm »

It's just been reported that the raid a week ago, where the US killed a bunch of kids and lost a soldier, supposedly to gain vital intelligence, was not actually what it was reported to be. Apparently the real objective of the mission was to assassinate an ISIS leader. Which did not happen. After the mission was botched, the US invented the "vital intelligence" to justify the all the deaths. And now the ISIS leader is publicly mocking Trump for screwing up and lying to everyone.

*sigh*

Source?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 06, 2017, 07:19:41 pm »

*sigh*

Source?
i saw it on NPR days ago. I'm sure you could find it with a quick google search.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 06, 2017, 07:23:37 pm »

On whose word? ISIS?

Surely you see the problem there.
I have been looking for a news source on this (the best I've found so far is that AQAP leader Abdul Rauf al-Dhahab was reported killed), but right now I'm balancing whether or not to trust a manipulator of ideological and religious sensibilities, or else this hypothetical ISISish surviving guy...

ETA: On NPR, looking for something since the 3rd, there was this unrelated thing that bears mentioning: http://www.npr.org/2017/02/06/513777052/trump-says-media-fail-to-report-terrorist-attacks-white-house-promises-list
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:26:32 pm by Starver »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 06, 2017, 07:59:29 pm »

Aides confer in the dark because they cannot figure out how to operate the light switches in the cabinet room.
Trump is likely to be eaten by a grue
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: February 06, 2017, 08:26:39 pm »

Somewhere Biden chuckles to himself about a strategically moved painting.

Truly the hero we deserve.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 06, 2017, 08:51:48 pm »

and that basically... paying people for not contributing to society only encourages them not to... and unfairly taxes those who are capable.
this is basically what the Republicans i talk to think.

give poor people money => they stay poor and don't want to improve + pull down with taxes anyone trying to improve
e:you end up in a world with the very poor and very rich with no inbetween
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:01:17 pm by uber pye »
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: February 06, 2017, 09:01:16 pm »

Bit back, but just catching up so whatever.
Look, I want to believe that Republicans have a coherent, rational agenda. But right now, it looks like their entire political standpoint is "fuck liberals!" Does anything else explain calls to repeal the EPA? Does anything else support insulting our allies? Is there any other explanation at all for throwing out the Iran nuclear deal?
Sure. The other explanation is their coherent and rational (in a sense, not getting into whether the ideological basis behind it is anything desirable), but by and despicable (in practice, if not necessarily intent) and damaging to the country, agenda, that they have pretty blatantly been pursuing for decades. Their goal is not fuck liberals, it's fuck government. Look at their actions through a lens of someone trying to reduce governmental power and voter confidence in the possibility of capable and beneficial government, and a lot of things start making a lot more sense.

Fair few years back, one of 'em put it pretty succinctly: To paraphrase it, the republican party is seeking to create a federal* government small enough to drown in a bathtub.

And to do that you have to make it weak and unwanted. The goal of the GOP is to undermine the functioning and concept of government to the point it can be done away with, in practice if not name. They believe (to varying degrees and extent of explicitness) that sort of thing is a net negative for this country. Most everything else they do is either secondary, or based around personal enrichment rather than political ideology.

* And eventually state, but right now all the ways they're fucking those is mostly collateral from the overarching plan to make a non-functioning government in order to ruin voter confidence in US governmental organizations.

I feel if rural areas are to be won over to productivity, they have to been done so on the ground floor. Not from someone postulating from the top, but as someone whose been to these regions and has actively fought to improve conditions in rural areas. Once their lives have stabilized, that's when they can start considering new ideas and real progress can be made.
You can search back in the thread (and/or the previous ameripol one) for rural, industrial/industry, or density/population density for some of my previous comments on this. It's come up more than once and it's actually one of the relatively few things I've encountered in politics over the last few years that approaches viscerally pissing me off. The short form is that there is no amount of ground floor work that can be done that is going to work. About as close to period as you can get. Any and every attempt over the last several decades, which have been persistent, pervasive, and, while not magically successful, able on many fronts to bring whatever degree of succor possible to the regions in question, have been ignored. Just as persistently, just as pervasively, and with significantly more success. Similarly, all the (myriad, also pervasive, etc.) ways in which republican efforts in rural areas have fucked any and every one in these areas, are generally downplayed at best, also ignored most commonly, or at the worst occasionally through some goddamn voodoo miracle managed to increase their support in said areas.

Said it previously. You cannot talk to someone that will not listen. There is no persuading someone that is going to persistently ignore any and every thing you say or do. Internal/cultural changes can alter how that works, but there is functionally nothing a liberal can do on the ground that has meaningful electoral effect. Or if there is, I haven't seen it over the past few decades, and I still haven't seen anyone make an attempt to figure one out, much less succeed at it.

Also, stabilization might actually change that, sure. Problem is you cannot stabilize most of these areas. Period, this one isn't "as close as it gets to", it's period. It's not physically possible, especially in any way resembling what supported them before the inevitable happened. You can offer (re)training/education (if you can get funding and support, good luck when the GOP exists), you can offer welfare and similar support to give them means to better accumulate funds and build themselves a better life there or elsewhere (see previous paren), you can bring in new industries that can function in rural conditions (see previous paren again, also it's not going to support the same amount of people and they're often going to have to be doing very different things), but fundamentally what many of the folks in question want -- what their parents had, what their community was built around, a surety in regards to past and future, and on, and on -- is either gone or going, and there's both nothing that's going to stop it and nothing that's going to bring it back, at the absolute least to the same extent it was previously. And, again. Just about everything that could be making that process hurt less, or slow it down, or even arrest or revert it to whatever degree, is either rejected or ignored. So far as democratic/liberal efforts to sway these areas electorally go, the efforts might as well not exist and (at least so far as electoral influence goes) spending resources and effort on it might as well be pissing those resources and effort down a dry well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:05:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 06, 2017, 09:02:57 pm »

and that basically... paying people for not contributing to society only encourages them not to... and unfairly taxes those who are capable.
this is basically what the Republicans i talk to think.

give poor people money => they stay poor and don't want to improve + pull down with taxes anyone trying to improve

Wasn't there a whole discussion on the previous thread on that? With weird explaining through his own experience that there are people who do that kind of thing, just not improve and drag things down with them.

How bad the problem is, I don't know, but the poor need something to help out, and the answer isn't neccesarily clear cut I don't think, ie. many factors.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:22:22 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 3567