Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226338 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #795 on: February 03, 2017, 06:22:34 pm »

Turnbull isn't even the oddest English name out there.

Also, does Spicer actually have it spelled that way in his notes or is he just pronouncing it strangely? Having it wrong the first time could be excuseable (though it really shouldn't happen in the first place), but seriously, someone has to have told him that he is getting it wrong.

Misspelling or mispronouncing a foreign name would be forgiveable, but English names? Come on....

Not to mention that keeping getting it wrong makes them look unprofessional.

@reelya: I thought Joe Hockey was the Australian ambassador to the US, not the Foriegn Minister, which would be equivalent to the Secretary of State and a totally different position.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:26:04 pm by smjjames »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #796 on: February 03, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »

Is there a scandal that could significantly decrease Trump's popularity? I mean he's already flagrantly violating the constitution with his business connections. He already has an avowed fascist as his closest advisor. He already bragged about sexual assault. He's already threatened war with our neighbors, insulted our allies, and provoked our rivals. And last but certainly not least, he's created a humanitarian crisis in his first week. I earnestly wonder what on earth could possibly happen that would convince the remainder of his supporters to turn against him.

I would say that he could violate the second amendment, but he already has attacked "gun rights" by supporting "stop and frisk." If he was to directly attempt to buyback or confiscate guns, the NRA would support him because he'd paint it as a tool to disarm minorities.

He could actually declare war on an ally, but heck, it's not like his current supporters would care. To them, the US does not have allies.

I don't think that outright rape allegations would stick, simply because he'd call it fake news.

And for all that, even if he did lose his remaining support, the congressional republicans would never impeach him. Ever.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 03, 2017, 06:48:11 pm »

Turnbull isn't even the oddest English name out there.

Turnbull, Trumble, Hockey, it's all a load of llanfairpwllgwyngyll to them.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 03, 2017, 06:48:55 pm »

Is there a scandal that could significantly decrease Trump's popularity?
No. Facts on the ground will eventually do that, like they did with Bush, but scandals? No.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 03, 2017, 06:54:11 pm »

@PTTG: I suppose you'd have to ask his supporters, but they'd probably be more like 'Why are you asking me that question? You a liberal?'

Getting into a costly and bloody war would definetly pull down support since I don't think any of his supporters necessarily want to get into one.

Is there a scandal that could significantly decrease Trump's popularity?
No. Facts on the ground will eventually do that, like they did with Bush, but scandals? No.

Yeah, 'death by a thousand cuts' is more likely to sink him than any one specific scandal.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 03, 2017, 07:07:13 pm »

Also, it's funny when O'Reilly, like Palin some time ago, is trying to be a voice of reason and caution: http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2017/02/bill-oreilly-says-he-warned-president-trump-congress-may-try-to-impeach-him-234637

Sure he warns that the opposition may try to impeach him (duh), but the general message to Trump seems to be "be careful about what you do'.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 03, 2017, 07:15:38 pm »

It seems all the attacks on mainstream media are actually driving subscribers to them. Streissand Effect basically. Say some famous was constantly talking about how terrible some new movie was, and that you shouldn't see it. What effect d'ya reckon that would have?

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/why-donald-trump-is-good-news-for-the-media-industry/news-story/4882642b8a0116d554600ec43558e6e8

CNN viewership rose a stunning 94 per cent during the week of Mr Trump’s inauguration in January, even as the president assailed the cable news operator as a purveyor of “fake news.” The New York Times announced this week it added nearly 300,000 paid digital subscribers in the fourth quarter of last year, the highest number since it began its paywall model.

People want independent news - that is, independent from the government. And if Breitbart & Co have a direct line to the Whitehouse they're no longer independent news. Not in this context. So people are flocking to the media that Trump's trying to cut out of access, because that stuff can now claim to be giving and outside independent perspective on what's actually happening.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:22:09 pm by Reelya »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 03, 2017, 07:30:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, hey actually relevant: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38853350

Responses to Trump's "dress like a woman" policy: I'll dress like a woman when you act like a president, police officer tells Trump
No man should wear as sloppily tailored a tie as he does, dammit.

I mean, seriously this, Australia is an English speaking nation
True blue, Blue, that's fair dinkum. It's a rippa whinge that only a sooking drongo down at the servo could mess up so badly. Spicer's yabber really Played A Barry, as if you were all just from Woopwoop. Which makes you defo devo, I'm sure.  What a dag!

(I'm so sorry...)
What does that matter, we are barely an english speaking nation anymore, 'Murrican is a thing, which is more like several things, we've got our own variation in rhoticity for fuck's sake!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 03, 2017, 07:31:18 pm »

Apparently Trump's non-ban ban just got veto'd. I have no idea how that works...but that's what's being reported.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 03, 2017, 07:42:38 pm »

... his what? Is... is someone actually using the words non-ban ban?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 03, 2017, 07:44:03 pm »

True blue, Blue, that's fair dinkum. It's a rippa whinge that only a sooking drongo down at the servo could mess up so badly. Spicer's yabber really Played A Barry, as if you were all just from Woopwoop. Which makes you defo devo, I'm sure.  What a dag!

(I'm so sorry...)
What does that matter, we are barely an english speaking nation anymore, 'Murrican is a thing, which is more like several things, we've got our own variation in rhoticity for fuck's sake!

To be honest, I don't understand most of what Sergarr Starver wrote. Those websites of "Australian slang" often contain much of it that dates from e.g. 1880-1940s. Basically a lot of it is from the Wild West era to the WWII era slang.

For example, "Fair Dinkum" dates from the 1850s gold rush. And while it's still used in print media sometimes, it's used allegorically. Basically I can't recall any time in my 40 years of life that anyone in Australia unironically said something was "fair dinkum".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:48:27 pm by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 03, 2017, 07:47:02 pm »

I believe that was a quote from Snatch.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 03, 2017, 07:48:49 pm »

I'm using those words. Referring to his ban on people coming from certain countries, which he insists is not a ban, but in reality is by every definition definitely a ban.

A federal judge declared that the ban is no longer in effect nationwide, and from what I'm hearing that ruling trumps Trump's executive order until further notice.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 03, 2017, 07:50:11 pm »

(I'm so sorry...)

To be honest, I don't understand most of what Sergarr Starver wrote. Those websites of "Australian slang" often contain much of it that dates from e.g. 1880-1940s. Basically a lot of it is from the Wild West era to the WWII era slang.

For example, "Fair Dinkum" dates from the 1850s gold rush. And while it's still used in print media sometimes, it's used allegorically. Basically I can't recall any time in my 40 years of life that anyone in Australia unironically said something was "fair dinkum".
this is accurate Australian though right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVX3uJpqxc  :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 03, 2017, 07:53:05 pm »

I'm using those words. Referring to his ban on people coming from certain countries, which he insists is not a ban, but in reality is by every definition definitely a ban.
Ah. Though checking, trump's actually started insisting it's not a ban now, too? Google seems to think he's still calling it a ban, but the Wozzname of Incompetent Pronunciation was trying to babble something contradicting that, heh. Probably just didn't set the time filters right, ah well.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 3566