Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223097 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #645 on: February 02, 2017, 03:36:21 pm »

Don't have time to check if this has already been commented on, since I'm on my lunch break and have to leave in a couple minutes.  So sorry if this has been/already is being discussed.

But I just saw some shit about Trump removing white supremacist organizations from domestic terrorist watch programs?  WTF is this?  I don't even know how to process.

It's really fucking incredible how Trump has exceeded everyone's expectations.  We all knew he was going to be awful, but thought that at least some of his stuff was blowing hot air at a reactionary base for campaign purposes and the worst stuff he actually tried to act on would get shut down.  But it seems he's already gone far beyond even the most alarmist predictions from the left.

BTW you guys post too damn much.  I try to read a few pages a day, and I still haven't even finished the old thread.

Is this what you saw: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/politics/trump-countering-violent-extremism/index.html ?

The white supremacist stuff is actually already handled by the FBI and DOJ. Sounds like it's just the wording or just the name of it that would change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: February 02, 2017, 03:37:24 pm »

Difference is, Trump would sue the bathtub.

In more interesting news, the biology of political difference: "Liberals and Conservatives remember about the same overall, but Conservatives remember the negative images much better, liberals remember the positive images much better... And it really is easy to predict who is a liberal or conservative simply on the basis of looking at brain activation patterns."
Explains why the two tend to half half-empty and half-full ways of looking at things

Stuff like this makes me wonder how I ever ended up so liberal.  I have a pretty negative outlook on life, remember negative things much more easily than positive things and even grew up in the middle of South Carolina where people will still openly claim, to wide approval, that blacks and whites marrying is a terrible thing and that gay couples steal babies from "real" couples.

Maybe conservatism is like a black hole.  As everyone around me spiraled inward at increasing velocities, rather than being sucked in to never escape I was one of the lucky ones to be ejected at relativistic velocities at an orthogonal angle.
Probably worth mentioning that the author seems perfect fine talking psychology and neurology under an umbrella term of biology and that raises a lot of red flags about the veracity of his claims. His other two co-authors are also political scientists just like him so they never really had someone with the needed background to really help them out with this idea they're advancing. So uh, yeah, it's not what I'd call good or solid science. I couldn't find much in actual papers that John Hibbings published either so I really can't tell how much he would know of all this.
That's not entirely uncommon in the world of poly-sci academia, speaking from experience. It's already a difficult field to work with, considering that a great deal of what you work with is qualitative (and often quite vague) even when working with trials that produce quantitative datasets, no surprise that efforts at interdisciplinary work without proper support (and with the usual "I am an expert in my discipline therefore I am an expert in all disciplines" delusion, even if it is more common to people in the hard-theory corner of things) produce even more questionable results.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 02, 2017, 03:46:31 pm »

Trump is fat.  Discuss.

I have it, on good authority, that he is, in fact, yuge, Sir. Yuge.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 02, 2017, 03:53:35 pm »

...Trump better not be rude to the Queen.  That would be pretty much the last straw IMHO.

And I'm a USian.  :v

Trump admin is leaking like a sieve probably because it's full of crazy.  Crazy doesn't like to be classified.

If the camel's back ain't broken already, bub...

I hope he is rude to her, 'cause it'd be funny having him start a Twitter feud with the royals, and having British conservatives up in arms about this oafish foreigner.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 02, 2017, 03:58:10 pm »

...Trump better not be rude to the Queen.  That would be pretty much the last straw IMHO.

Trump admin is leaking like a sieve probably because it's full of crazy.  Crazy doesn't like to be classified.

I hope he is rude to her, 'cause it'd be funny having him start a Twitter feud with the royals, and having British conservatives up in arms about this oafish foreigner.

Obama literally gave her an iPod.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2017, 04:00:19 pm »

I think if he were rude to her she'd gracefully and majestically clobber him into submission with the hard end of a crown jewel (while holding him by the ear like a naughty toddler).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 02, 2017, 04:02:49 pm »

I think if he were rude to her she'd gracefully and majestically clobber him into submission with the hard end of a crown jewel (while holding him by the ear like a naughty toddler).
>tfw if people actually acted like dwarves, the world would be a better place.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 02, 2017, 04:12:26 pm »

Trump is fat.  Discuss.

I have it, on good authority, that he is, in fact, yuge, Sir. Yuge.

We literally have Baron Harkonnen as President.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #653 on: February 02, 2017, 04:14:50 pm »

Prince Charles has already made some very thinly veiled statements. Given Charles also is pretty outspoken on issues like Climate Change, they'd probably have to gag both of them for it to not come to that in some form.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #654 on: February 02, 2017, 04:19:24 pm »

I can't imagine Trump not surpassing that low bar.

Hmm, let's take bets. I think Trump's exactly egotistical enough to give them a bust of his own head.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 02, 2017, 04:30:42 pm »

>tfw if people actually acted like dwarves, the world would be a better place.

A Diplomat has left unhappy.

There was, I understand, a bit of a tantrum in a library fortress in the Desert of Rehabilitation when Milo McControversy the Snow Leopard Man was due to speak. Mayor Trump was apparently unhappy about it.

Prince Charles has already made some very thinly veiled statements. Given Charles also is pretty outspoken on issues like Climate Change, they'd probably have to gag both of them for it to not come to that in some form.

He felt Vengeful after joining an existing conflict. And recieved one year in the dungeon for toppling furniture.

Obama literally gave her an iPod.

Full of his own speeches.

And our Prime Minister gave him an antique pen made from the wood of the sister ship to the ship the Oval Office desk is made from. To his daughters, our PM's wife gave dresses with matching necklaces, and a selection of books by British authors.

Obama gave Brown a set of American DVDs that wouldn't even run on UK players, and Michelle's gift to Brown's children was a couple of models grabbed from the White House gift shop.

Obama must have stood in the hall with his suitcases packed and gone "Aww, shiieeet, presents! Honey, go down the gift shop and grab something!"

Hmm, let's take bets. I think Trump's exactly egotistical enough to give them a bust of his own head.

I have this amusing picture of him being gifted an antique gold watch, to which he reponds "thanks, but I got mah phone", blows his nose on the table cloth, reaches in his pocket and fishes out a bag of sweets from the airport lounge.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 02, 2017, 04:31:08 pm »

Hopefully also purchased from the gift shop.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 02, 2017, 04:36:27 pm »

It would be funny if he decided to make a running gag out of the shitty gift thing, or continue it.

What did Bush 43, Bill Clinton, Bush 41, Reagan, and others give?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 02, 2017, 04:48:29 pm »

(Trump's State Visit)
Why, there is nothing quite like some pageantry now and then.
If everyone turns their backs on the coach, the Queen will understand that it isn't her we're snubbing.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 02, 2017, 05:33:17 pm »

http://www.reuters.com/article/rpb-adlertrump-idUSKBN15F276

So the international news organization will be covering the Trump administration the same way they do some other authoritarian nations in the world. Fun times ahead.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 3566