Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4223035 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #630 on: February 02, 2017, 01:44:43 pm »

WASHINGTON — President Trump vowed Thursday to overturn a law restricting political speech by tax-exempt churches, a potentially huge victory for the religious right and a gesture to his political base.

Mr. Trump said his administration would “totally destroy” the Johnson Amendment, which prohibits churches from engaging in political activity at the risk of losing their tax-exempt status.
 Leaked Draft of Trump’s Religious Freedom Order Reveals Sweeping Plans to Legalize Discrimination

If signed, the order would create wholesale exemptions for people and organizations who claim religious objections to same-sex marriage, premarital sex, abortion, and trans identity.
cool

It might be interesting if this backfires. Considering that the Pope is considerably more liberal than Republicans right now.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 02, 2017, 01:45:35 pm »

They'll just label him as a heretic and then it'll all be cool
._.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 02, 2017, 01:49:10 pm »

American Protestants ain't Catholics. They don't really care what the Pope says. Unfortunately, the same seems to go for most Catholics as well, who believe that the popr should stay out of politics.

Which is silly and stupid. I mean shit, we have a pretty darn sensible pope and people choose now of all times not to listen. Blargh.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #633 on: February 02, 2017, 02:05:23 pm »

American Protestants ain't Catholics. They don't really care what the Pope says. Unfortunately, the same seems to go for most Catholics as well, who believe that the popr should stay out of politics.

Which is silly and stupid. I mean shit, we have a pretty darn sensible pope and people choose now of all times not to listen. Blargh.

Fair enough.

Republicans pushed Scott Pruitt through over Democratic revolt. Why are supposedly competent Republicans working with Trump so closely? Is there really that much groupthink in the republican party?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 02, 2017, 02:11:18 pm »

Fair enough.

Republicans pushed Scott Pruitt through over Democratic revolt. Why are supposedly competent Republicans working with Trump so closely? Is there really that much groupthink in the republican party?

Because 'Republicans fall in line' and they're all drinking from the same oil lobbyist pipeline. And they want to repeal stuff Obama did with the EPA.

I've heard of efforts to perhaps repeal the EPA, but nothing that is actually confirmable anyway. Besides, removing the EPA will just bring us back to the state that we created it for in the first place, thus making it neccesary to create a new one.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 02, 2017, 02:35:23 pm »

Interesting interview by 3 international journalists with Nina Chruszczow, professor in international relations at the New School in New York, and grand-daughter of Sovjet party leader Nikita Chruszczow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAAicfKJ1UY&feature=youtu.be
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 02, 2017, 02:36:41 pm »

Trump is Negan.  Discuss.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 02, 2017, 02:56:10 pm »

I don't think he's a vegan. He looks way too beefy.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 02, 2017, 02:56:31 pm »

In more interesting news, the biology of political difference: "Liberals and Conservatives remember about the same overall, but Conservatives remember the negative images much better, liberals remember the positive images much better... And it really is easy to predict who is a liberal or conservative simply on the basis of looking at brain activation patterns."
Explains why the two tend to half half-empty and half-full ways of looking at things

Stuff like this makes me wonder how I ever ended up so liberal.  I have a pretty negative outlook on life, remember negative things much more easily than positive things and even grew up in the middle of South Carolina where people will still openly claim, to wide approval, that blacks and whites marrying is a terrible thing and that gay couples steal babies from "real" couples.

Maybe conservatism is like a black hole.  As everyone around me spiraled inward at increasing velocities, rather than being sucked in to never escape I was one of the lucky ones to be ejected at relativistic velocities at an orthogonal angle.
Probably worth mentioning that the author seems perfect fine talking psychology and neurology under an umbrella term of biology and that raises a lot of red flags about the veracity of his claims. His other two co-authors are also political scientists just like him so they never really had someone with the needed background to really help them out with this idea they're advancing. So uh, yeah, it's not what I'd call good or solid science. I couldn't find much in actual papers that John Hibbings published either so I really can't tell how much he would know of all this.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:19:49 pm by chaoticag »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 02, 2017, 03:05:25 pm »

Trump is fat.  Discuss.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 02, 2017, 03:08:26 pm »

Come on muldrake, it's better to have a constructive conversation....

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 02, 2017, 03:09:29 pm »

Come on muldrake, it's better to have a constructive conversation....

But he weighs too much.  It is seriously a bad signal to send to a country that is already suffering from morbid obesity on nearly catastrophic levels.

Shouldn't we care about the health of our citizens?

Michelle Obama did before her entirely correct opinions were thrown down the Memory Hole.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:11:48 pm by muldrake »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 02, 2017, 03:13:07 pm »

Today on the ameripol thread 2.0: fat people are terrible, down with fat politicians, no news is good news, more at eleven
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 02, 2017, 03:17:23 pm »

Trump is fat.  Discuss.

It makes his hands look even smaller, relatively.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 02, 2017, 03:26:24 pm »

He's only fat by President standards if he gets stuck in a bathtub.

Don't say that.  He could end up on the Supreme Court, like the only other President who got stuck in a bathtub.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 3566