Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4217049 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2017, 02:23:30 pm »

The man is a moron. He knows what he wants to do - deregulate - but is unwilling to do the work to do it right - actually look at the regulations and purge the ones that he thinks are detrimental.

Is it a normal occurrence for a new president to issue rafts of executive orders like this?

Yes, but it isn't normal for them to be so amateurishly bungled.

Again, I must stress that we cannot presume that Trump or his staff are entirely incompetent. His success at achieving his goals so far is alarming. What goals, other than incompetence, might be driving Trump's actions?

That's not to say that there is necessarily some great order behind the two-for-one order. It may simply be that he's playing the fool in a way that will cement his approval among his most loyal supporters. Perhaps this is a tool of Bannon's, and he intends to produce a group of Americans -- perhaps 20%, 30% of the population -- that both strongly support Trump, and feel alienated and oppressed by the rest of the nation. Much like ISIS, he might create the strife that creates the antagonism that feeds his recruitment.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 30, 2017, 03:01:01 pm »

The man is a moron. He knows what he wants to do - deregulate - but is unwilling to do the work to do it right - actually look at the regulations and purge the ones that he thinks are detrimental.

Is it a normal occurrence for a new president to issue rafts of executive orders like this?

Yes, but it isn't normal for them to be so amateurishly bungled.

Again, I must stress that we cannot presume that Trump or his staff are entirely incompetent. His success at achieving his goals so far is alarming. What goals, other than incompetence, might be driving Trump's actions?

That's not to say that there is necessarily some great order behind the two-for-one order. It may simply be that he's playing the fool in a way that will cement his approval among his most loyal supporters. Perhaps this is a tool of Bannon's, and he intends to produce a group of Americans -- perhaps 20%, 30% of the population -- that both strongly support Trump, and feel alienated and oppressed by the rest of the nation. Much like ISIS, he might create the strife that creates the antagonism that feeds his recruitment.

Where did this "Bannon secretly runs the government" conspiracy come from? I've only ever heard it here.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2017, 03:08:07 pm »

Where did this "Bannon secretly runs the government" conspiracy come from? I've only ever heard it here.
Sources among the White House staff. (1), (2), (3), (4). It's really all over the liberal news networks for the past few days, evidently you don't visit them very often.
._.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2017, 03:16:25 pm »

Sources among the White House staff. (1), (2), (3), (4). It's really all over the liberal news networks for the past few days, evidently you don't visit them very often.

all sources came out after the announcement right? or is there a credible claim from before it?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2017, 03:20:38 pm »

Christ, I forgot about the torture one. If there's a strategy behind the flurry, then that's one of them.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2017, 03:25:09 pm »

all sources came out after the announcement right? or is there a credible claim from before it?
If by "announcement" you mean the immigration ban executive order, then yes, the politico article came on 25th January, two days before it happened.
._.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2017, 03:25:19 pm »

Watching the white house spokesguy today. Someone needs to tell him that Trump's job is not about being better than Obama, it's about being good enough for America.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2017, 03:30:47 pm »

Iran tests the first ballistic missile since Trump took office.

Going to have to see how Trump responds to that, especially without his State Department team in place, the Secretary of State in particular. He's working over there currently I think, but hasn't been confirmed yet. I think his confirmation was supposed to be today? Either way, he urgently needs his State Department team in place.

Watching the white house spokesguy today. Someone needs to tell him that Trump's job is not about being better than Obama, it's about being good enough for America.
His cake during the celebration had to be better than Obama's.

The cake was a literal mirror image of Obamas, and yeah, insecure as heck.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:32:21 pm by smjjames »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2017, 03:52:22 pm »

Just put together a list of objectionable things Trump has done since taking office, please tell me if I'm missing anything:

Border Wall
Structural attack on Sanctuary Districts
Freezing of EPA and scientific communication
Reducing integrity of ACA
Permitting Dakota Access and Keystone Pipelines
Further weakening regulatory protections, including the ridiculous two-for-one approach.
Hiring freeze
Shutting down Mexico City Policy (providing abortion counciling to other nations).
Travel ban from Seven-nations
Drafting plans to reactivate torture and black sites -- looking for good citation
Placing neo-fascist Steve Bannon on NSC

I've included the Steve Bannon thing because it's a measurable decrease in stability and experience on the council that could reasonably be said to be significantly endangering Americans outside of the administration. Aside from that, his appointments to the cabinet or internal Administration are less distinctly bad for those outside of his sphere.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »

Anyhow Trump's team is now saying that it isn't a Muslim ban, it is a danger ban.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2017, 04:00:01 pm »

Disruption of the relationship between the executive office and the press definitely counts, in my opinion. It might actually be one of the most dangerous; a disconnected government is a government that can drift into echo chambers and tyranny.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2017, 04:02:08 pm »

They've been saying that for ages.

Then Trump says that they'll prioritize Christian refugees, which makes you question that logic. Looks like Trumps PR team are actually his damage control team.

Also saw an amusing picture on Facebook:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2017, 04:08:54 pm »

Anyhow Trump's team is now saying that it isn't a Muslim ban, it is a danger ban.

Sorry I am just going to quote myself to respond to myself but

Let us just assume this is true that there is no Muslim ban and all this is, is a ban based on the countries of the highest danger quota, which are typically the ones that are both the hardest hit AND have a lot of insurgents. I mean there is a moral question still, but lets give benefit of the doubt for a moment.

It is incredibly dysfunctional for the government to tell the public one thing, especially something immoral or inept. Then to do something completely different.

I wouldn't appreciate a doctor who says he is going to remove my stomach so I won't have stomach aches anymore, and then actually just prescribes me pepto.

---

BUT THIS IS IGNORING the fact that the team who is saying "This is a Danger Ban" Isn't a team of people who are experts in world politics, terrorists, and refuges or stuff along those lines

They are made up of politicians and legal experts who have got together PURELY to ensure that the Muslim ban is LEGAL. So of course they would have to change it to a danger ban. They are a team of people made to give it legal dressing.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:11:11 pm by Neonivek »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2017, 04:09:42 pm »

Trump: I'mma gonna make a Muslim ban!
Most Americans: Don't! Also it'd be illegal.
Other Nations: Don't! Also it'd be illegal.
Trump Supporters: Nice! Set them on fire after!

Trump: Gigglyani, how do I ban Muslims legally?
Giuliani: Lol pretend it's about terrorism.
Trump: That's a GREAT way to ban Muslims!

Trump bans Muslims.

Trump: Yay everyone, I banned Muslims, I mean terrorists!
Most Americans: We know it's a Muslim ban, also this is illegal and wrong.
Other Nations: Holy shit he actually did it.
Trump Supporters: Thank you Trump for banning Muslims!
Also Trump Supporters: It's not a Muslim ban, and if it is, it was Obama's idea, and also we're safer now that we incensed many neutral or friendly nations and gave refugees a reason to want to join ISIS.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2017, 04:20:54 pm »

Some first-hand experiences from a BBC journalist on travel ban:
He told 5 live's Stephen Nolan: "They took away my phone and started searching my Twitter account looking to find out my political views. I was also asked questions like if I had been training with the military in Iran."

"I couldn't convince the guy because he kept asking me about why I'm entering the country with a British passport, not an Iranian passport. I told the guy I don't have that Iranian passport anymore."

"I was arrested back home in Iran in 2009 because I was working for the BBC. It felt the same this time."
._.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 3566