Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4215661 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »

It's like a reverse Hydra. For every two heads you cut off, only one grows back.

HFail Hydra
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2017, 01:52:07 pm »

Friend of mine just shared this:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-signs-executive-order-requiring-that-for-every-one-new-regulation-two-must-be-revoked-234365

Can the executive branch even do this?  Control what legislation may be passed?

Regulations are promulgated by executive agencies, but must be pursuant to some grant of statutory authority.

It's also meaningless.  While following this, you could literally promulgate a single thousand page "regulation," then revoke two other one page regulations while even merging them into the first one.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2017, 01:52:47 pm »

The man is a moron. He knows what he wants to do - deregulate - but is unwilling to do the work to do it right - actually look at the regulations and purge the ones that he thinks are detrimental.

Is it a normal occurrence for a new president to issue rafts of executive orders like this?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2017, 01:54:04 pm »

I don't think Trump ever said he wants out of UN. It would be the deathstroke to US influence if he did that. Can you say 'bye bye' to your veto right in the UN security council?
He did say during elections that he wants to defund / out of NATO, perhaps you're confusing the two?
On the latter, he made a 180 during May's visit though.

That was a separate concept in my mind, so I must have imagined him hating the UN.  Well, I'm pretty sure I have read that he wanted to stop funding it, but maybe he didn't want to leave it.

Or maybe I'm conflating that with him appointing a UN hater as UN ambassador in an apparent deliberate attempt to make things terrible.  Or maybe I also simply imagined that Nikki Haley was a UN hater since I can't confirm that with a quick Googling.

Seriously, I think I'm reading malice into everything political these days, even when it might just be incompetence.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2017, 01:56:30 pm »

The man is a moron. He knows what he wants to do - deregulate - but is unwilling to do the work to do it right - actually look at the regulations and purge the ones that he thinks are detrimental.

Is it a normal occurrence for a new president to issue rafts of executive orders like this?
It is, but they're rarely this disruptive. Like the one about reinstituting the abortion gag, that's expected because every Republican has done that since it started and every Democrat has cancelled it.

But then we have this country ban thing, and the wall thing, and I'm pretty sure I'm even forgetting something in the morass of shit Trump has already slung.

A quick overview suggests the frequency of executive orders is both variable and non-partisan: I'm not sure what indicates it, perhaps simply the individual President's style.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2017, 01:59:43 pm »

Seems more of a directive telling Congress what he wants to do, but yeah, I don't see it as being sustainable because you can only cut corners so far and he doesn't specify what regulations he wants to remove, he just kind of says 'we're looking at all of them'.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2017, 02:02:05 pm »

Yes, but it isn't normal for them to be so amateurishly bungled.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:24 pm »

it's pretty common practice in business that when a new boss arrive has to shit all over the place even if half things he does are plain wrong and ultimately stupid.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2017, 02:07:41 pm »

it's pretty common practice in business that when a new boss arrive has to shit all over the place even if half things he does are plain wrong and ultimately stupid.

Especially in bad businesses that eventually go out of business.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2017, 02:08:30 pm »

yeah, forgot to say, that probably has to do with him carrying over his 80's business training in the role, except management != politics.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2017, 02:11:45 pm »

Trump has said he wants to look into cutting the US's contribution to the UN by 40%.

Also, moving the UN siege make sense if Trump doesn't act up: he has shown that he will semi-randomly cut access by people without thinking for even 10 minutes about the best way to do it and set chaos everywhere without notice. I understand that the UN doesn't want to have to cancel a meeting because Trump shat another half-baked EO.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2017, 02:12:46 pm »

yeah, forgot to say, that probably has to do with him carrying over his 80's business training in the role, except management != politics.
I had an outside hope he'd be a good manager, delegating skillfully, but of course not.  He's ignoring scientists and appointing corrupt insider cronies.
And instead of revealing secret insight in his first days, he's going forward with his crazy campaign promises and killing all hope that he had some Xanatos plan.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2017, 02:14:01 pm »

It's not normal on that front indeed, but this is more or less the least qualified and capable president we've had. We're only at the start, bleh.

And no, even 80s business/management training would have shat on how he's been going about things. Seriously, again, please don't associate what he's been doing with even a facsimile of proper business practice. This ain't how you run a business, it's how you run one into the ground. If he had any training of that note, he pointedly forgot it at some point between then and now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2017, 02:19:10 pm »

Isn't he having tons experience in running businnes to the ground tho?  :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »

It may not be a good way to run a business, but it's definitely that style. You see the signs all over the place: Trump's enjoyment of executive orders, because he sees himself as the boss and thus can just tell the nation what to do. The explosive reaction to media criticism, operating on the clear presumption that they're "supposed" to be softballing like the invited contacts of an investor's announcement, as well as apparent confusion at the inability to directly punish them for insubordination. The assumption that he'd just "have" a full staff without any difficulties. And of course, "the President can't have a conflict of interest".

He 100% does not mentally conceive of how political and business management differ. The media one is especially interesting in how it synergies with the whole "liberal media" delusion, as if of course the press will be the toadies of the President, so why won't they do it for me?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:24:49 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 3566