Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4215736 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2017, 10:44:57 am »

You guys remember Trump's super secret plan to defeat ISIS? Well, apparently his super secret plan was to ask the SECDEF to come up with a plan. Surely he couldn't say that during the campaign or ISIS would thwart his plan!

That link gives me a page asking me to sign up for updates...

Anyways, he's said multiple times during the campaign that he'd give the generals 60 days (or was it 90?) to come up with plans.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:48:37 am by smjjames »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2017, 10:50:18 am »

I was thinking about the "manspreading" thing the other day btw. The narrative is that men sit aggressively and that women are too weak to ask them to scoot over, apparently. And then of course they make videos showing the problem, which basically consist of women physically assaulting the men in some cases. So it's an excuse to make videos of those people actively bullying random strangers, on the pretext of defending the fair seats from sexist sitting. Why not encourage women to speak up about it? Not once did they ever show a woman saying "excuse me, please scoot over k thx" because the men would almost certainly have gone "oh sorry, my bad" thus deflating the narrative of "hostile sitting". Encouraging women to speak up if they have a problem would truly empower women. But that goes against the narrative. The only really logically retort would be "women shouldn't have to ask, men should just get out of our way". but that in itself has a ton of issues.

This part of that particular non-issue is good enough, but y'wanna know what really makes it beautifully ironic? Complaints about "manspreading" are entirely rooted in ignorance of the male anatomy. Men tend to sit with their legs apart so that their junk doesn't get stuck to their legs or put under pressure. If there's a conscious component to it, it's something like that, not a weird distorted power-play that could only come from the mind of someone who spends their life imposing that sort of dynamic on life.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »

Oh, I get it now.  Trump can do no wrong BECAUSE Obama wasn't  Jesus.

And if Trump nukes France and Canada, then it's Obama's fault because, at some point, Obama mentioned both countries in the same sentence. That's true regardless of if trump said the bombings were not because they both speak French, but rather because they are full of tigers.

It all makes sense now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:34:24 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2017, 12:15:58 pm »

Huh? Where are you getting that idea from PTTG?

Also, the sarcasm is heavy in that post.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2017, 01:01:13 pm »

The UN is considering moving it's offices and convention centers out of the US, because the Trump policy creates an unworkable situation for holding meetings with international staff.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2017, 01:19:41 pm »

The UN is considering moving it's offices and convention centers out of the US, because the Trump policy creates an unworkable situation for holding meetings with international staff.

Don't diplomats get immunity though?

I hope it's not the death knell for the UN, even though this whole situation is supposed to be temporary.

Also, why can't they just use telepresence? There's all kinds of tools around that connect people who can't be at the meeting and stuff, skype even.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2017, 01:21:01 pm »

The UN is considering moving it's offices and convention centers out of the US, because the Donald "Because I don't want to, Greta" Trump policy creates an unworkable situation for holding meetings with international staff.

Don't diplomats get immunity though?

I hope it's not the death knell for the UN, even though this whole situation is supposed to be temporary.

Also, why can't they just use telepresence? There's all kinds of tools around that connect people who can't be at the meeting and stuff, skype even.

Such things would all be workarounds, which are not practical in the long run compared to being able to have face to face meetings at short notice.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2017, 01:21:26 pm »

Not everyone working for the UN has diplomatic status. There's lots of scientists just doing research for them for example, those aren't diplomats.
I hope for anyone working there that they don't move. Conventions are big business. Could well be job loss in the 100 thousands if they move.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2017, 01:33:21 pm »

I honestly can't keep straight what Trump has actually said and what I've just inferred about what he wants, but doesn't he vaguely want to defund and / or leave the UN anyway?  If they're pulling out of the U.S. then I doubt it would upset him much.

He might care a tiny bit about lost jobs, but I'm sure he could find ways to reason around it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2017, 01:34:39 pm »

I don't think Trump ever said he wants out of UN. It would be the deathstroke to US influence if he did that. Can you say 'bye bye' to your veto right in the UN security council?
He did say during elections that he wants to defund / out of NATO, perhaps you're confusing the two?
On the latter, he made a 180 during May's visit though.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:36:40 pm by martinuzz »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2017, 01:35:47 pm »

Friend of mine just shared this:
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-signs-executive-order-requiring-that-for-every-one-new-regulation-two-must-be-revoked-234365

Can the executive branch even do this?  Control what legislation may be passed?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2017, 01:38:09 pm »

It doesn't control legislation, it controls the functioning of executive agencies. It's legally valid, if literally a middle school student's conception of how to improve the government.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2017, 01:41:09 pm »

Wtf. How is this a good idea from any angle at all? Even if you're anti regulation just... Abolish them. Or if you think one is bad in particular abolish that. This feels like a metaphorical slogan taken literally by a crazy person. Probably because that's exactly what it is.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2017, 01:42:16 pm »

It's like a reverse Hydra. For every two heads you cut off, only one grows back.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2017, 01:46:05 pm »

Wtf. How is this a good idea from any angle at all?
It's not.

... all there is to it, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 3566