Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4248065 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9915 on: August 02, 2017, 05:56:04 pm »

I took that as "They're *making* me do this, Vlad old buddy. no peetape plz kthxbye"  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9916 on: August 02, 2017, 06:03:59 pm »

I took that as "They're *making* me do this, Vlad old buddy. no peetape plz kthxbye"  :P

Heh, yeah, I wonder if the delay was them trying to come up with something that was forceful and what Trump wanted to say, but at the same time, wasn't crass or would accidentially trigger something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: August 02, 2017, 07:03:42 pm »

That last bit sounds suspiciously like what a lot of conservatives (and likely some liberals too) decried as Amnesty. Doesn't sound like a 'merit-based immigration system' either. Trump admin is pulling words out of it's ass most likely.
What, the nonimmigrant classification thing? If that's what people call amnesty I'm not sure anyone would want it.

'Cause the bill bitsies look something like this:
an alien who is a parent of a citizen of the United States, if the citizen is at least 21 years of age.”.
A nonimmigrant described in section 101(a)(15)(W)—

“(A) is not authorized to be employed in the United States; and

“(B) is not eligible for any Federal, State, or local public benefit.
“(3) Regardless of the resources of a nonimmigrant described in section 101(a)(15)(W), the United States citizen son or daughter who sponsored the nonimmigrant parent shall be responsible for the nonimmigrant’s support while the nonimmigrant resides in the United States.
An alien is ineligible to receive a visa or to be admitted into the United States as a nonimmigrant described in section 101(a)(15)(W) unless the alien provides satisfactory proof that the United States citizen son or daughter has arranged for health insurance coverage for the alien, at no cost to the alien, during the anticipated period of the alien’s residence in the United States.”.
There's also a bidecadal check as to if yo' momma's ass gets kicked out the country, presumably on top of whatever else of similar nature is loitering around.

As far as I can tell checking sections of the INA that particular addition references, what it's trying to do is create a new class of non-immigrant that's even more shat on than most other classes of non-immigrant, for what appears to be so that the parent and their kid(s) have jack all recourse for help with medical costs. If there's anything advantageous in it compared to what already existed in the INA, I can't see it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9918 on: August 02, 2017, 07:16:10 pm »

Permanent indentured servant class when?

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9919 on: August 02, 2017, 07:22:55 pm »

That last bit sounds suspiciously like what a lot of conservatives (and likely some liberals too) decried as Amnesty. Doesn't sound like a 'merit-based immigration system' either. Trump admin is pulling words out of it's ass most likely.
What, the nonimmigrant classification thing? If that's what people call amnesty I'm not sure anyone would want it.

'Cause the bill bitsies look something like this:
an alien who is a parent of a citizen of the United States, if the citizen is at least 21 years of age.”.
A nonimmigrant described in section 101(a)(15)(W)—

“(A) is not authorized to be employed in the United States; and

“(B) is not eligible for any Federal, State, or local public benefit.
“(3) Regardless of the resources of a nonimmigrant described in section 101(a)(15)(W), the United States citizen son or daughter who sponsored the nonimmigrant parent shall be responsible for the nonimmigrant’s support while the nonimmigrant resides in the United States.
An alien is ineligible to receive a visa or to be admitted into the United States as a nonimmigrant described in section 101(a)(15)(W) unless the alien provides satisfactory proof that the United States citizen son or daughter has arranged for health insurance coverage for the alien, at no cost to the alien, during the anticipated period of the alien’s residence in the United States.”.
There's also a bidecadal check as to if yo' momma's ass gets kicked out the country, presumably on top of whatever else of similar nature is loitering around.

As far as I can tell checking sections of the INA that particular addition references, what it's trying to do is create a new class of non-immigrant that's even more shat on than most other classes of non-immigrant, for what appears to be so that the parent and their kid(s) have jack all recourse for help with medical costs. If there's anything advantageous in it compared to what already existed in the INA, I can't see it.

Oh, I thought non-immigrant implied citizen. Was confused by the legal terms somewhat.

Except that they aren't citizens. Just sort of looks like parents of those who are born in the US and not already US citizens just won't get the benefits that citizens get. There's still the whole bit about tearing peoples families apart though.

Still, in looking at the bill itself, there's nothing that seems to indicate 'merit based' or 'skill based' immigration. That's the 'admin pulling words out of their ass' bit I meant.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:32:34 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9920 on: August 02, 2017, 07:32:54 pm »

Well, won't get the same benefits as a citizen, can't get work, can't get any sort of public aid, presumably even if specifically directed at nonimmigrants or their families, barred from consideration if their kid isn't rich enough to cover what's mentioned...

Like, I think the most impressive fuck you in that is that the reading looks a lot like any material support the parent is able to supply for themself is ineligible for consideration so far as that section goes. If pops tries to come and stay and drops a fifty to help cover a doctor's visit, that may be a violation of the section and grounds to throw the parent out.

A lot of me hopes I'm actually misunderstanding those bits, honestly. 'Cause trying to pull fuckery like that is a good way to royally piss off anyone with the bloody least amount of familial piety, filial or otherwise.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9921 on: August 02, 2017, 07:33:38 pm »

Except that they aren't citizens. Just sort of looks like parents of those who are born in the US and not already US citizens just won't get the benefits that citizens get. There's still the whole bit about tearing peoples families apart though.

That's my point. You're going to have this class of people who will be legal-ish residents with no access to any of the protections of green card holders or citizenship. Those people still have to eat, have shelter, etc. Unscrupulous employers can hire these people and do whatever the fuck they want to screw them over, because they're not protected by Federal employment laws. Makes me think of the liudong ren in China, except even they have Chinese citizenship. They just don't have any other legal rights because they migrated illegally.

EDIT: On further reading, what they seem to be doing is making it so financially burdensome on so-called "anchor babies" to support their families, that the non-citizen families are forced to leave. Of course, by doing it this way, rich people can bring their families over with little problem, because they can afford to cover their expenses.

After all, can't risk Trump cutting off his supply of Eastern European model-wifes. Melania is getting a bit long in the tooth for Don's taste, maybe he can find a slinky Slovak more Ivanka's age.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:37:56 pm by RedKing »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9922 on: August 02, 2017, 07:38:50 pm »

I have a feeling this will get tied up in the courts for a long while and then emerge as something completely watered down, similar to the travel ban. I'm unsure how much, if any of this needs to go through congress though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9923 on: August 02, 2017, 07:41:50 pm »

... basically all of it? The whole point is to enact legislative change; the RAISE Act is a bill currently involved in going through the senate. They could try to implement the thing on a practical level without passing it, but that would be a new and incredibly stupid way to subsidize the judiciary and families of immigrants and nonimmigrants as the lawsuits started rolling in.
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9924 on: August 02, 2017, 08:50:01 pm »

Perhaps Trump's jobs program is aimed more or less exclusively at ensuring every available attorney in the country has billable hours for the next eight years.

#NoLawyerLeftBehind

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9925 on: August 02, 2017, 08:57:48 pm »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9926 on: August 02, 2017, 09:10:03 pm »

http://www.npr.org/2017/08/02/541182948/who-snatched-my-car-wells-fargo-did

Well looks like they did it again.

To be fair, the problem with CPI is widespread and affects a lot of financial institutions because the communication between auto insurers and financial institutions is, in a word, shit.

Twice in the last two years, I've gotten a notice from the credit union where I have my car loan that my insurance had lapsed and they were going to enroll me in CPI if I didn't provide proof of insurance within 30 days. In both cases, I called the credit union and raised holy hell, then called my auto insurance and raised holy hell. Eventually, after much hand-holding (I considered setting up a 3-way call), the credit union got the correct info and the problem was solved.

But there's the difference -- the credit union:

1. Notified me that they showed me with no insurance.
2. Worked with me to resolve the issue.
3. Stated that had they issued a CPI policy in error, they would have refunded the full cost of it.

Commercial banks like Wells Fargo (ESPECIALLY Wells Fargo) don't give a flying fuck about their customers. And given their track record, I guarantee you this was another "sign them up for everything under the sun" sales directive from on high. IMHO, Wells Fargo should be nationalized and then sold off in pieces to competitors, and the money raised used to pay out the damages suffered by consumers. And the board execs should be doing hard time.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9927 on: August 02, 2017, 10:04:54 pm »

I doubt most US citizens even know what nationalize means.  Here, we privitize.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9928 on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:44 pm »

I think we've passed the peak of the privatize everything craze. It's got more political support than actual popularity, especially among younger people. While I don't think going all Reign of Terror on shareholders and executives is exactly the preferred solution, I'd bet it ranks surprisingly high compared to trying to be Ronald Reagan over and over again until the oceans dry up and the working class feed themselves head-first into the machine that the wealthy rational job creators might bathe in their blood in one last great high before the jaws fall upon them and all is silence upon the grey Earth.

What was I talking about?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9929 on: August 02, 2017, 10:48:16 pm »

I just reinstalled X-Com and started a new game ...and noticed it starts in 2016. Suddenly, a lot begins to make sense. Increased unrest and panic around the world, a Thin Man as Communications Director, a Chrysalid zombie as chief strategist....

Pages: 1 ... 660 661 [662] 663 664 ... 3569