Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224289 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #765 on: February 03, 2017, 03:56:24 pm »

* remembers issuing warning about counter cultural backlash against modern progressivism (for being too aggressive) in the old thread.

*remembers being ridiculed for it...

"Called it."

More like the old old thread, or perhaps before that.

And now there's going to be a counter counter backlash to this counter cultural backlash.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 03, 2017, 03:59:33 pm »

I also remember telling people back in the old thread that dismissing and offending your fellow countrymen is a bad thing and would prob just make voting Trump even more appealing, during a certain episode in which a pair of forumites made fun of another certain forumite.

I don't remember what answers I got, but I can list at least one instance of "fascism".

Cue trump 2017

*dank horns playing in the distance*
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 03, 2017, 04:01:02 pm »

Actually pttg, I have.

More, I have met vast numbers that chronically misinterpret what I say, as you have just done.

Your fantasy: "weird is a crypto conservative who secretly hates minorities and gay people."

Reality: "weird is an asexual male who does not give a fuck about what naughty bits you have, what naughty bits you wish you had, how you use said naughty bits, or why you have any such compuntions. He wants you to shut up about your naughty bits and stop trying to force people to care about your fixations. Similar with anything related to skin color. It does not matter, unless you force the issue. When you force the issue, consequences happen. Opinions are like asses. Everyone has one. Yours is not special."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 03, 2017, 04:14:37 pm »

* remembers issuing warning about counter cultural backlash against modern progressivism (for being too aggressive) in the old thread.

"Called it."
No, I don't think so. Rather, those two things (aggressive progressivism and anti-progressivism), as well as many others, are caused by the same thing - people getting more and more opportunity to segregate themselves from each other based on political views, creating almost completely separate media spaces which soon enough start viewing each other as "others", enemies to be destroyed.
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 03, 2017, 04:15:39 pm »

That's a very good generalization of how large numbers of people describe NRA members.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #770 on: February 03, 2017, 04:15:44 pm »

So the asexuality comes up in a conversation, how often is the first question "So do you masturbate?"? Is that not an infuriating immediate response to get from like 90% of the population? Wouldn't it be better if there was attempts to educate people about these types of things so that they understood them better?

And, more importantly: Have you ever had someone threaten to rape you because of your asexuality? Get aggressive and try and assault you over it? Deny you a job over it? Have you ever had someone refuse to accept your asexuality, and insist you were actually gay? Now, if they instead were putting "homosexual" down on official legal documents despite you correcting them repeatedly, would that not be problematic? The rape threats, the denial of jobs, the assault, and the placing on legal documents are the kind of thing anti-prejudice laws exist to prevent (and whilst less likely to be faced by an asexual person, they all do happen).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:23:18 pm by MorleyDev »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 03, 2017, 04:18:47 pm »

Moroeydev, I don't think you meant that as a personal attack, but the way it's worded does sound like it. Also, going off topic into the gender and sexuality thread.

Nvm, you edited it somewhat.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 03, 2017, 04:20:19 pm »

People were always able to segregate by political views, by and large. Used to be is it happened gradually and then stuck that way, is all, so nobody even interacted with the 'other' enough to stay angry and want them destroyed, most of the time. Tribalism is not new. The internet being a battleground that literally everyone can see and is constantly reminded about because of delocalized media channels is fairly new. Social media is extremely new, comparatively.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #773 on: February 03, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »

Moroeydev, I don't think you meant that as a personal attack, but the way it's worded does sound like it. Also, going off topic into the gender and sexuality thread.

Yeah, I figured that first line needed more clarification. I'm speaking from personal experience there, it's an infuriating question xD Like, people really do seem to jump straight from "Well I don't really feel attracted to people, though the romantic and emotional attachment stuff sounds nice" to "TELL ME ALL ABOUT YOUR GENITALS DO THEY WORK".

But yeah, again getting off-topic. Oh look, Trump aide sites non-existent massacre: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38857216. Same person who coined "alternative facts", too.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:27:39 pm by MorleyDev »

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 03, 2017, 04:25:19 pm »

"Called it."
No, I don't think so. Rather, those two things (aggressive progressivism and anti-progressivism), as well as many others, are caused by the same thing - people getting more and more opportunity to segregate themselves from each other based on political views, creating almost completely separate media spaces which soon enough start viewing each other as "others", enemies to be destroyed.

And, for the most part neither group will even try to discuss their differences as they mainly just sit in their circles talking about how the other is evil and they are the sole protectors of good.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #775 on: February 03, 2017, 04:25:42 pm »

Actually pttg, I have.

More, I have met vast numbers that chronically misinterpret what I say, as you have just done.

Your fantasy: "weird is a crypto conservative who secretly hates minorities and gay people."

Reality: "weird is an asexual male who does not give a fuck about what naughty bits you have, what naughty bits you wish you had, how you use said naughty bits, or why you have any such compuntions. He wants you to shut up about your naughty bits and stop trying to force people to care about your fixations. Similar with anything related to skin color. It does not matter, unless you force the issue. When you force the issue, consequences happen. Opinions are like asses. Everyone has one. Yours is not special."

If you think skin color doesn't matter in the modern US, you are living in a post-fact mindset. As for your personal experience meeting someone who told you what pronoun to use, was that person someone with any actual authority? Any authority comparable to, for instance, a Vice President who intends to electrocute you until you're hetrosexual? Comparable to a police officer who will not think twice before shooting you because of his assumptions based on your skin tone?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 03, 2017, 04:27:32 pm »

1) almost immediately, followed by "what do you think about?". I take this as honest curiosity to try to understand the different way of being. A little annoying, but innocently earnest. I overlook it.

2) no, I have people insist on trying to set me up on unwanted dates.

3)yes.

4)yes. Frequently. I remind them that lack of interest in vagina does not mean I have interest in dick.

5)no. Nobody asks or cares in an interview, and I fail to see the relevance as to how my asexuality would in any way matter in a workplace aside from a stretched hypothetical of application at a brothel. Unless you fuck for a living, who you want to fuck has no importance in a vocational sense, unless you harp about it endlessly, and cause upset in your coworkers with said constant prattle.

5) no more than putting me down as hetero. Both are equally valid options, and equally incorrect. I am neither. Would that bend me out of shape if I only had the two options? No. More, I would condemn that the form bothers to assign at all. Again, what you want to fuck has no vocational aspect outside of the sex industry.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 03, 2017, 04:28:15 pm »

Has anyone in this topic mentioned race at all? The number of problems with the world is about as tall as I am, but that doesn't mean that only the top thing on the list is valid to talk about.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 03, 2017, 04:30:16 pm »

Going on unwanted dates is a way of life.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 03, 2017, 04:31:41 pm »

Actually pttg, I have.

If you think skin color doesn't matter in the modern US, you are living in a post-fact mindset. As for your personal experience meeting someone who told you what pronoun to use, was that person someone with any actual authority? Any authority comparable to, for instance, a Vice President who intends to electrocute you until you're hetrosexual? Comparable to a police officer who will not think twice before shooting you because of his assumptions based on your skin tone?

Again, only an issue WHEN SOMEONE FORCES IT.

An employer that segregates, is forcing the issue.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 3566