Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4270490 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7605 on: June 11, 2017, 10:39:31 am »

Sure there are. Second largest state level population in the country. Is why I specified florida instead of looking at new york and laughing at the concept the GOP gives a shit about it or the dems have use of courting minorities in the area more than their general policies et al already do.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: June 11, 2017, 10:50:04 am »

I thought the main issue with Texas statehood was slavery.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: June 11, 2017, 10:57:08 am »

I thought the main issue with Texas statehood was slavery.

I didn't say economic problems was the main issue for Texas, just that it was also having economic problems like Puerto Rico is having economic problems. Not the exact same problems obviously, just in general.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: June 11, 2017, 11:12:03 am »

Fair enough. Texas did have economic problems, but it payed off it's debt after annexation by ceding it's northwestern land.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: June 11, 2017, 11:14:23 am »

A lot of the problems they are having dealing with their debt are precisly because they are not a state. so in that sense it would finally let them do something as opposed to begging congress to let them do something.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: June 11, 2017, 11:26:41 am »

The only thing remotely controversial about it are their economic problems, but they aren't the first proto-state to have economic issues before becoming a state. Didn't Texas have a whole bunch of economic issues during their brief stint as a sovereign nation (the only other states with such distinction are Hawaii because Kingdom of Hawaii, and possibly California in a brief period while waiting for statehood)?
We also had a Vermont as an independent state for a few years.
The whole proccess of new statehood will be fascinating for everybody since it's been roughly two generations since a territory became a fully fledged state.
I just really want another state so we can move on to annexing Canada North Montana and giving DC status already.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: June 11, 2017, 12:04:04 pm »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/11/532454216/anti-sharia-marchers-met-with-counter-protests-around-the-country

the anti sharia people might best be described as putting up a straw man and using it to justify the oppression of a group on supposedly moral grounds.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: June 11, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »

A straw man apparently based entirely on white supremacist lies at that.
https://twitter.com/MuslimIQ/status/873566159882395648

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: June 11, 2017, 02:54:41 pm »

yes let us believe an activist because he is both muslim and a lawyer.

let us not question whether his view on islam is rose-tinted.

i seriously have nothing against muslims; i've only met a couple that were assholes, and that was probably just because they were assholes. but looking at people saying "hey, a large number of immigrants who share a religion that doesn't correspond to 99% of the population's beliefs might be coming to america; that's not good" and calling them "fuckin' nazhee white supremacists" is just dumb.

edit

((also the person with the #mayday sign at the counter-protest against the anti-sharia marchers. heh.))
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:59:07 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: June 11, 2017, 03:02:02 pm »

... except that saying that islam doesn't correspond to 99% of the population's beliefs is so hella' wrong it actually is a lie by just about any metric you care to use. Saying that the folks making that claim are white supremacists is a pretty decent attempt at guessing why they believe it. Might be factually wrong at the end of the day, but positing the root cause is that ain't dumb by many measures of it I've seen.

There's significantly more similarities between islam and christianity than there are differences, and by extension that puts it in line with quite a lot of this country religious and not.

E: Though to be clear, the devil's in the details and exceptions more than commonalities. Only problem there is we legislated various degrees of acceptance or protection for a lot of those exceptions long before muslim was a word most of the population even really knew the basic nature of. Harping on a lot of them (if not all) kinda' falls flat when stuff like 14 year old marriages and crap were legalized for christian denominations.

E2: Though largely unrelated to that, apparently the PR referendum is currently looking extremely inclined towards statehood, with something in the upper 90% with about half the vote counted. Participation in vote's also apparently low as hell, but... still. It's looking a lot like we're going to have a petition to put another star on our flag coming up in the very near future.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:16:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: June 11, 2017, 03:14:55 pm »

For Trump's own health I think he shouldn't go for a second term... and I don't mean like "Assassin", I mean in terms of... Trump is slowly going insane.

Then again Trump is certainly not used to scrutiny, at least from people who matter.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: June 11, 2017, 03:17:10 pm »

A straw man apparently based entirely on white supremacist lies at that.
https://twitter.com/MuslimIQ/status/873566159882395648
Let's be clear. There's not even 1 example of a “Shariah compliant” country today. They're draconian regimes bent on power—not justice.
Oh good. It's one of those. Like the people who claim there's no real communist/marxist countries, and their wishful ideology will actually work this time instead of resulting in a hell on Earth with millions of casualties and decades of human misery yet again.

The guy also likes to throw the term "justice" around. As if that doesn't mean something different to every person on the planet.

And let's just ignore that any time muslims in the West are surveyed, there's way more for making homosexuality illegal than any other Abrahamic religion. I guess that's their sense of "justice".

I ain't saying christians aren't capable of the same kind of shit (just look at Nigeria), but their recent track record has been a lot better, and I ain't seeing the left oppose these kinds of medieval views the way they oppose them when they come from christians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: June 11, 2017, 03:19:35 pm »

And let's just ignore that any time muslims in the West are surveyed, there's way more for making homosexuality illegal than any other Abrahamic religion. I guess that's their sense of "justice".

Ok this is the creepiest thing people bring up whenever they want to argue against immigrants or multiculturalism is that immigrants aren't in favor of homosexuality...

Yet, does this REALLY matter?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: June 11, 2017, 03:20:50 pm »

So apparently, the anti-statehood movement in Puerto Rico has taken the strategy of just boycotting the vote.

I see the strategy. Try to get a bunch of people to say "over 90% support independence" and then invalidate them by saying nobody bothered to vote in the referendum anyway. That's frigging devious.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: June 11, 2017, 03:26:19 pm »

Ok this is the creepiest thing people bring up whenever they want to argue against immigrants or multiculturalism is that immigrants aren't in favor of homosexuality...

Yet, does this REALLY matter?
i mean it does if you're in favor of lgbt rights.

luckily i'm not, so I don't have to deal with the dilemma.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 3573