Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4283759 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6690 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:13 am »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-24/trump-budget/8553850
Federal aid to states would shrink by 3 per cent, though the cuts would fall most heavily on states that backed Mr Trump's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election.

States that voted for Clinton would collectively face a drop of 4.8 per cent, while those that backed Mr Trump would see assistance cut by 1.2 per cent.

Trump's not one to forgive and forget.

Some of that's likely due to the fact that states with conservative bases often elect conservative governors who sometimes have habit of outright refusing federal money to help their own people out just to spite democrats and then later say, "look what their welfare bucks are doing for you, the working people, nothing."

Except that everybody still loses no matter what in that situation with both red and blue states seeing a drop in funding. And it's the red states that would be hurt more because a lot of them are already poor.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:39:51 am by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6691 on: May 24, 2017, 10:13:10 am »

In a defeat for women's rights, Melania Trump covers up to meet religious leaders.
She's trying to secretly communicate to the world that her husband is dead, and the person standing next to her is a doppleganger stand-in.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6692 on: May 24, 2017, 10:41:02 am »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-24/trump-budget/8553850
Federal aid to states would shrink by 3 per cent, though the cuts would fall most heavily on states that backed Mr Trump's Democratic rival Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election.

States that voted for Clinton would collectively face a drop of 4.8 per cent, while those that backed Mr Trump would see assistance cut by 1.2 per cent.

Trump's not one to forgive and forget.

Some of that's likely due to the fact that states with conservative bases often elect conservative governors who sometimes have habit of outright refusing federal money to help their own people out just to spite democrats and then later say, "look what their welfare bucks are doing for you, the working people, nothing."

Except that everybody still loses no matter what in that situation with both red and blue states seeing a drop in funding. And it's the red states that would be hurt more because a lot of them are already poor.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm just saying it may not be deliberately targeting democrat states. It may just be that republican states didn't sign onto as many of the programs as democrat states did and thus when they're ripped away, the effect is smaller on the republican states.

Rick Scott is notorious for that shit in Florida. Time and time again, federal funding opportunities come up and he refuses them and I believe I've heard instances where he basically punished local governments who drew too much attention when they went around him and took advantage of opportunities on their own. I know he's not the only one either.

I think it sucks, but at the same time I think labeling it as deliberately targeting Hillary supporters is a bit unfair without some recording or memo coming out stating that was actually his intention. *cough*Please let something come out.*cough*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6693 on: May 24, 2017, 11:12:57 am »

Poking around the budget thing a bit... was hoping to figure out exactly how those percents mentioned above were coming about. Instead ended up noticing the administration justifications for individual cuts. It's rather profoundly obvious whoever wrote those has either never even remotely attempted state or local level fund-raising, or specifically intends to fuck ground level america across the board. Or both, of course.

... though yeah, to all appearances, even if the raw amount cut is less for most red states, the impact of those cuts would still probably hit them significantly harder. Seems like better than half the cuts in that mess are specifically intended to sodomize your average rural and/or poor community, and give urban ones a good kick in the reproductive organs, too. Thank fornication the chances of it going through in a form even remotely resembling that train wreck are basically zero, but if it did we'd have to invent a new word for a combination of schadenfreude and horror, because that thing is the GOP disemboweling its electorate (and the rest of us) out of spite and sheer stupidity.

E: Though it did just hit me how weird it is to be complaining about duplicate or near duplicate federal organizations. Businesses form subordinate and shell companies all the bloody time, for what amounts to exactly the same reasons -- splitting off resources and investments to cover a specific issue or set of issues so that they can be treated with more focus than they would manage if it were having to be juggled as part of the normal business organization and fund management, or to have a part of the company deal with a specific issue from a specific angle, while other parts or a parent company still addresses the concern from a more general perspective. And making things easier from a taxation/bookkeeping perspective, o'course. Certainly there can be wastage or inefficiency or whathaveyou, but the general effect of that sort of thing is, like... the exact opposite.

Get that it's probably just more GOP/anti-government hypocrisy/grotesque ignorance of organizational management/how-business-actually-works, but it's still just kinda' off, now that I actually notice the dissonance.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:29:14 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6694 on: May 24, 2017, 11:22:21 am »

Technically, a lot of elective monarchies had procedures for impeachment.  It's simply that these procedures involved a large number of noblemen - sorry, voters - with weapons charging in and declaring such-and-such would make a much better monarch, and it's not like the previous monarch really needed their head, anyways.  Or would rather enjoy a nice visit to some country palace; so much so, in fact, that they could spend the rest of their life there.
I meant non-violent procedures. But historically, using force to oust a ruler was generally only legal if you could show (or forge) evidence that he was breaking the law, and so complaining about people removing him by force is like complaining about police using force. Yes, it would be better if they don't have to and there are definitely situations where a less forceful approach would have been morally advisable, but it doesn't mean that force is never valid.

I also like it when people argue for murder as a means of population control.  You'll notice that these are rarely the sorts of people who see themselves as being murdered; it's always some other poor sot.  Err, this is all just highly-advanced satire, right?  I'd have thought so, but Poe's Law, after all...
We're talking about hypothetical people anyway. As for myself, I'm not gonna live more than a century anyway. Probably not more than half a century left at this point. So why sweat a decade one way or the other? For the record, I don't think murder is actually effective population control, the scale is too small. A single war is similarly flawed. Constant low-level conflicts can help raise the death rate though.

AND finally, the main reason monarchies tend to be as stable as they are (read: not very stable)
In unstable regions and times, they tend to be the most stable.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6695 on: May 24, 2017, 11:38:34 am »

I don't understand people for population control. There is plenty of resources for everybody, but corrupt people in power are usually the reason why it isn't given to those people.

If you are all for mass killings, are you willing to have yourself killed? Or are you one of the "important people" who is immune from that?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6696 on: May 24, 2017, 11:45:51 am »

Eh, the question being addressed by that sort of thing isn't "is" but "will be", generally. More people, will be becomes isn't all that much faster, less people, more time to use those resources to push things that much further back. We've got water issues coming in the near-ish future, desertification and related issues continuing to continue, so on and so forth. More folks we have, the worse those problems are going to be and the faster they're going to ramp up.

Murder et al is just kinda' stupid, though. Be better off with sterilization and/or just plain ol' social incentives, and making sure things are set up to prevent encouraging large families (i.e. make sure the kids cost a crap ton). And yeah, I'd have zero problem with that hitting m'self, but I'm also a pretty poor example that has absolutely zero intention of having kids to begin with.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6697 on: May 24, 2017, 11:48:37 am »

The only form of population control killings I am for is industrial level slaughter of people for good. Meat is murder! Well yes, that is the point. Now have another serving - I hear the fried baby chops in this place is fantastic. Next time I'm gonna show you this Japanese place I know of - they serve actual Kobe muscle there.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6698 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:40 pm »

I don't understand people for population control. There is plenty of resources for everybody
Plenty? Nope. We're more like at a level of subsistence now worldwide. You're right that corruption does prevent that subsistence from reaching parts of the world.
And even this state of subsistence won't last long anymore.
Food? Fishing grounds worldwide rapidly depleting, majority of all rainforest already turned into unsustainable soy / palm oil farms and cattle ranches, climate change causing mass crop failures around the world.
Water? Large scale irrigation dropping groundwater levels combined with rising oceans pushing brakish groundwater further inland are turning fertile coast areas around the world into salt marshes and turning underground freshwater reservoirs brakish, already giving some coastal cities trouble with maintaining access to adequate fresh water.
Industrial waste from the past 100 years seeping into groundwater reservoirs turning them unusable, rivers drying up due to overuse for irrigation, rivers drying up because the frozen mountain tops that fed them aren't frozen anymore, rivers drying up because of hydroelectric dams built.

If we do not put a whole damn lot more research and effort into creating a sustainable food and water chain, and convince certain large parts of the world to stop having 10 children, a lot of our youngest generation's children, or if they're lucky, grandchildren will get to know starvation and or military conflict.

Mass killing is unthinkable, but there needs be some form of population control lest we consume our ecosystem before we develop the ability to replace it.
Like I said, convincing certain large parts of the world that having 10 children is a bad idea would be a good start. I like the current Pope. He literally said there's no need for catholics to breed like rabbits. I hope his message strikes home with the many African catholics. Not that Africa is, or catholics are solely responsible for having too many children, but hey, every bit helps, right?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:09:23 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6699 on: May 24, 2017, 12:11:23 pm »

Just one problem there.

The people with 10 kids in the 3rd world country consume fewer resources/have smaller ecological footprint, than the single trendy hipster in the 1st world country.

To really cut the fat, and make a more sustainable earth, you need to take that vente late away from the latter, not give condoms to the former.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: May 24, 2017, 12:14:20 pm »

So, what can actually be done about net neutrality?  Are there any protests planned?
Among other things I've heard mentioned like letters, Pai has to later convince a court that things have suddenly somehow changed so drastically between last year and now that reversing the commision's position on this for the ISP's sake (and only theirs) is reasonable.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: May 24, 2017, 12:15:12 pm »

Just one problem there.

The people with 10 kids in the 3rd world country consume fewer resources/have smaller ecological footprint, than the single trendy hipster in the 1st world country.

To really cut the fat, and make a more sustainable earth, you need to take that vente late away from the latter, not give condoms to the former.

But that would mean changing my lifestyle!

I just want to solve problems by blaming others.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: May 24, 2017, 12:28:24 pm »

Just one problem there.

I did acknowledge the unfair distribution by saying corruption prevents the subsistence from reaching all parts of the world (with the logical consequence that anything that does not get distributed does stick somewhere and creates an illusion of plenty there).
Not everyone living in the 1st world is a trendy hipster, and a lot of markets in the third world countries' cities are filled with cheap Chinese products, which have just as big an ecological footprint as our own supermarket's B brand products. Sure, the rural population probably has 2 goats and a chicken and a UN funded water pump, living as ecologically humble as possible, but urbanisation and consumerism have been a thing in third world countries for a while now too. It's very unreal to see how many migrants from countries that suffer from food shortages do have a mobile phone, and a pair of (fake Chinese) Nikes.

Besides, just saying 'we consume more then them so we should just ignore the projected population boom of third world countries' is too easy.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 12:32:34 pm by martinuzz »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:25 pm »

I don't understand people for population control. There is plenty of resources for everybody, but corrupt people in power are usually the reason why it isn't given to those people.
I think you're underestimating just how many people 7 million is. It's true that there's inequality which leads to wealthy regions like Europe and the Americas using vastly disproportionate resources, but that doesn't change the fact that we've got a massive amount of people. The only reason we're even able to maintain current populations levels this long is because of techniques of the green revolution that are proving to be less sustainable than originally advertised. That's not to say nothing good came out there, but monocultures screw up the soil and there's only so much you can ramp up fertilization before it becomes less feasible, meanwhile the resultant eutrophication is destroying waterways that are already subject to massive overfishing, meanwhile coastline development is destroying forage fish spawning grounds, meaning that even if all oceanic fishing stopped right now, populations still couldn't return to their original levels. I mean, this is just food, to say nothing of the decadence of petroleum products, the loss of biodiversity, and the slow but inexhorable march of global warming. There are enough resources right at this specific instant in time, true, but we can't freeze time right now. Time is proceeding forward, and will continue to do so regardless of the actions of "people in power".

Murder et al is just kinda' stupid, though. Be better off with sterilization and/or just plain ol' social incentives, and making sure things are set up to prevent encouraging large families (i.e. make sure the kids cost a crap ton). And yeah, I'd have zero problem with that hitting m'self, but I'm also a pretty poor example that has absolutely zero intention of having kids to begin with.
Yeah, my intended point was that an increase in the death rate is not itself an argument against something, because it's not inherently bad. It's not an efficient solution though.
The only form of population control killings I am for is industrial level slaughter of people for good. Meat is murder! Well yes, that is the point. Now have another serving - I hear the fried baby chops in this place is fantastic. Next time I'm gonna show you this Japanese place I know of - they serve actual Kobe muscle there.
This is also not efficient, for trophic reasons. Reducing the consumption of meat should be a major goal in the first place, there's no reason for any human to eat as much meat as is normal in the first world. The amount of land that must be dedicated to the cultivation of herbivores is simply astronomical compared to that dedicated to plants, on a per-calorie basis. And yet, besides both health and economic detriment, many people eat meat every single day as though it were a matter of course! Compounding this problem by eating* organisms of even higher trophic levels is utter foolishness.

Just one problem there.

But that would mean changing my lifestyle!

I just want to solve problems by blaming others.
There's actually a ton of things that can be done without massive lifestyle changes. Did you know that almost all Americans use electric dryers for their clothes even in the summer? The cost of using a line is essentially nil, it's mostly restricted for aesthetic reasons. Even the added time of hanging the clothes is rebated by time saved ironing.

Of course, a lot of problems are institutional. American transportation costs are high because only poor Americans use public transport, which is the case because high density housing is seen as undesirable, and that's the case because American cities are zoned with wide roads and low buildings, with housing and shops kept disparate, so there's no advantage to being able to go down and walk the street. So Americans need to get in the car just to buy bread. So Americans drive around big American cities all the time, which are heated by the traffic, by the physical properties of building materials, and by the location (because why wouldn't you build in a desert?) so more resources are used on simply incredible amounts of air conditioning. And that holds true even in suburbia, where land and water are wasted on green lawns modeled after those first implemented in Versailles as a show of pure conspicuous consumption.

And if you fixed all those problems, you'd wind up with a European city, which is perhaps the best model we have no for providing a lot of luxury for a lot of people efficiently, but it's still not an adequate model for the number of people that we will have before populations asymptote.

urbanisation and consumerism have been a thing in third world countries for a while now too.
Urbanization is not, itself, a problem. Providing services to humans gets a lot more efficient when the humans are all close together. Cities themselves have a negative impact on their immediate environment (though there are things that can be done to mitigate it) but rising populations mean that dispersed populations are becoming less viable. That's actually a major reason for urbanization, as people find that they no longer have the land to support their lifestyle or (often, in developing countries) any life at all.

*as a matter of typical and cultivated sustenance. Using incidental mortalities as food is a different matter.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: May 24, 2017, 12:46:14 pm »

On the bright side, I heard that there's the other half of our solar system around again after a 3600 year hiatus & it's really handy at giving us a tabula rasa.

I've enjoyed my 22 years & I think I'm too evil to be considered for a prolonged lifespan/immortality/some extra time.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 3573