Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4151585 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6135 on: May 11, 2017, 09:50:33 am »

Reporter arrested for asking questions...
For balance, he may or may not have been considered 'threatening', by repeating his unanswered questions as he followed the Health Sec and Kellyanne through the public corridors of the state Capitol... Have to see what evidence gets presented, either way, to support the possibility of jailtime.

The article also says that he kept pushing the secret service peremiter, so, I'd say that this particular case needs more information.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51:59 am »

How large was said perimeter, and, are there restrictions on how arbitrarily large they can say it is?

EG-- can they say the perimeter covers the entire grounds of the event? If so, then even being in the building mean violating said perimeter.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: May 11, 2017, 10:00:47 am »

The article really isn't clear on just what he was breaching (other than maybe harassing the secret service), or where, which is why I said it needs more information.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: May 11, 2017, 10:10:48 am »

To me, the real story is "KellyAnne Conway, and pals do not like having to answer difficult questions, and wanted him expelled from the news conference and punished for his attempts to ask such questions publicly."

Hiding behind a vaguery like "breached the security perimeter" is just after-the-fact justification for their actions to throw the blame off themselves. Like I pointed out, the size of the "security perimeter" is whatever they (KellyAnne, and co) say it was. He was too close to them (They could not get away from his questioning), kept asking unwanted questions, they did not like it, they arrested him.

That seems to satisfy Occam's Razor best, IMO.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: May 11, 2017, 10:20:33 am »

To me, the real story is "KellyAnne Conway, and pals do not like having to answer difficult questions, and wanted him expelled from the news conference and punished for his attempts to ask such questions publicly."

Hiding behind a vaguery like "breached the security perimeter" is just after-the-fact justification for their actions to throw the blame off themselves. Like I pointed out, the size of the "security perimeter" is whatever they (KellyAnne, and co) say it was. He was too close to them (They could not get away from his questioning), kept asking unwanted questions, they did not like it, they arrested him.

That seems to satisfy Occam's Razor best, IMO.
Occam's Razor says that simplest explanations are the most likely "The government arrested a journalists on false pretenses" vs "Journalist decided to piss off security and security pissed back" are pretty close to equal in complexity, if one is being generous to the evil establishment line of thinking.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: May 11, 2017, 10:23:23 am »

The line returned by the security forces, "He created a disturbance", is what sets it over the top for me.
EG, they felt it was a "disturbance" to have somebody shouting questions--- AT A NEWS GATHERING.

EG, they took offense at an action that by all measures, should have been expected behavior.  Why? What set this journalist apart from the others?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: May 11, 2017, 10:26:57 am »

@wierd: Yeah, that's among the questions why this needs more information.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: May 11, 2017, 11:11:06 am »

XM-25 program just got cancelled! This weapon was very effective and proven itself in combat. The only beneficiary of such an action is Russia... they probably ordered to do it, too.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: May 11, 2017, 11:27:04 am »

Naw, that reads more like your standard cockup that happens in R&D labs, where the engineers don't get it through their slightly ovoid shaped heads that they cannot just keep sending the unit back to engineering for endless design revisions when the delivery deadline is near.

Happens with aviation R&D as well.  Rather than plan proper test cycles, the contract bidders lowball what the engineers actually need-- the engineers then burn up other department's time trying to hammer out a design that mostly works, causing production issues all over as all other deparments have to do a rushed job, resulting in broken/nonfunctional units produced, which further pushes back delivery.....

Yeah. More than once, worked on a project where the "due date" expired MONTHS before the job even made it to my desk, and having managers up my ass INSTANTLY, before I can even set up for the job, because of how unbelievably "hot" the job is, because engineering took their sweet assed time doing endless revision hell on it-- ALL of them telling me that the manufacturing program I write MUST work THE VERY FIRST TIME, *AND*, MUST BE BITCHING FAST--- in order for them to meet the delivery date.

I fully expect that is what happened here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: May 11, 2017, 11:53:18 am »

That's one of the programs I'm really surprised survived the Obama years. It has been a bit of a boondoggle for years, even if the combat tests proved that there is value in the concept.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: May 11, 2017, 12:24:00 pm »

It's a neat idea, and if you could find a way to pack it into something like the old M203 blooper it would probably be in service now, but dedicated grenadiers are harder to sell nowadays I think.

Keep in mind that there are soldiers younger than the old OICW program now.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: May 11, 2017, 12:24:55 pm »

why are you suddenly discussing star wars in ye ameripol thread
Why do you want to discuss ameripol in our Star Wars thread?!?

Anyway, it's obvious that Han is a force user, even if only subconsciously...

I would love to be able to use the Force. Someone please train me to be a Jedi, like my father before me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: May 11, 2017, 12:51:22 pm »

Yeah it's been a meme for a good while now. It performs well but not enough to justify its cost compared to a regular M203, and from what I remember it had some pretty serious reliability problems.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: May 11, 2017, 12:53:22 pm »

why are you suddenly discussing star wars in ye ameripol thread
Why do you want to discuss ameripol in our Star Wars thread?!?

Anyway, it's obvious that Han is a force user, even if only subconsciously...

I would love to be able to use the Force. Someone please train me to be a Jedi, like my father before me.
Yeah it's been a meme for a good while now. It performs well but not enough to justify its cost compared to a regular M203, and from what I remember it had some pretty serious reliability problems.
Indeed. It takes years to train a Jedi, while you can make someone profficient in the use of a M203 in a couple of weeks.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: May 11, 2017, 01:03:46 pm »

So I just need to but an m4/m203, and ammo, then practice? I'll be a Jedi in no time then.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 3563