Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4151511 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

You misunderstand, what I don't care about is your and others emotional reactions to it.  It's here, deal with it.  If you want it to get better take some form of actual action about it.  I'm too busy and tired to waste emotional energy on it.

Greiger: I said perceived majority.  That is how officials are elected to high office in this country, and unless the public actually does something about it then that is how it will remain.

Caroline:  Historically, banning things doesn't even help, it just makes it worse.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:06:31 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

lol jus vote third party

*points at the trash can "ballot box" with "libertarian" scrawed on it in sharpie*
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

lol jus vote third party

*points at the trash can "ballot box" with "libertarian" scrawed on it in sharpie*
And treating a third party vote as a 'trash' vote is exactly what the dems and republicans want you to do.   Good job helping screw the American people.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol jus vote third party

And treating a third party vote as a 'trash' vote is exactly what the dems and republicans want you to do.   Good job helping screw the American people.

That is because they made it a trash vote... and well... this kind of voting system tends to naturally lead to two party systems.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That I agree with.  Third parties are not viable because the public doesn't believe that they can be viable.  All it takes is people rejecting the parties and accepting the alternatives (not that there were many good choices last election.)

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

You misunderstand, what I don't care about is your and others emotional reactions to it.  It's here, deal with it.  If you want it to get better take some form of actual action about it.  I'm too busy and tired to waste emotional energy on it.
This is the less obvious version of "we need more information". What do you want people to do, protest hospitals? Glitterbomb Mike Pence? None of that's gonna have an effect when some rural doctor at a hospital without a population to protest it says "stop bleeding on my floors tranny", and it's certainly not an argument against the original rule, which is what you posted before.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Greiger: I said perceived majority.  That is how officials are elected to high office in this country, and unless the public actually does something about it then that is how it will remain.

Caroline:  Historically, banning things doesn't even help, it just makes it worse.
So just to be clear on this, if the electoral system made no sense and just like, discarded every vote unless your last name began with a randomly selected letter, we would just have to deal with it because "that's how it is?"

Remember, the system started out with only white male landowners able to vote, which was like 10-20% of the population.  That changed.  Don't see why the electoral college couldn't change either (not to imply the electoral college is a problem of that magnitude).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...no?
Like sure, banning drugs or alcohol or abortion makes things worse. But you're not going to see people unbanning asbestos, or lead paint or pipes, or slavery, or CFCs, or bull-baiting...
It's not like banning something immediately makes things much worse for everyone.

Also, I'd like to ask again, when did I scream?

And even among "drugs" there are plenty of bans that have made things much better. Such as banning highly addictive prescription drugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

lol jus vote third party

Remind me when a third party gets an appearance at a major debate, or a single EC vote.  The very system as written will not take them seriously, and that won't change.

Face it, if I took my ballot last November and scribbled "My Grandma!" in red crayon instead of whatever, Hillary would have still won Virginia and still gotten 100% of its EC value.  You can complain all you want about my grandparents always voting republican but their vote wasn't worth the hunk of tree it was printed on.  The whole southern half of the state doesn't matter.  Hilary won the state.  Doesn't matter if by 1 vote, 10 votes, or a million votes.  You get the same EC votes.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Why do we have such a polygamy taboo even?
The visceral and anthropological reason it disgusts a lot of people from primarily monogamous societies is probably largely based in sex selection and notions of "cheating" (not on a partner but cheating the social contract, like stealing an unfair portion of a communal food source for your own children but but barring those of other people). Women dislike it because they and their children have to share the resources of a small number of men divided between many women and children, men dislike it because most of them end up deprived of resources and of potential partners. Only the minority of successful men like it, and so it's probable that culture will turn against them on an anthropological timescale. This undergoes collapse rapidly if it reaches the logical cult-style extreme, of one powerful man with all of the community's women and a bunch of other men basically around for labor. Even powerful men have to sleep eventually...

What if I keep only gay men for labor? Then they would have no conflict with my extreme polygamia as they would be able to find partners in each other.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Banning things that do not have a clear negative impact to everyone never, ever works.  Drugs are banned, and that's a multi-billion dollar industry, places that ban guns see huge increases in illegal sales of weapons, making something illegal doesn't resolve anything, informing people and changing perception is what works.  And just to be clear, LGBT etc. are an extremely small minority grouping, so the effect is almost entirely unnoticed by the majority.

Further I am not accusing anyone in specific of screaming, but there certainly seem to be a lot of people doing it all over the place.

MSH: I don't care what you do, I don't care what anyone does.  I'm perfectly willing to sit here and deal with my family because this is at worst eight years of a shit president who will then be replaced, maybe by someone good, probably by someone mediocre.

EnigmaticHat:  I agree with that, but unless people take action that change will not occur.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

places that ban guns see huge increases in illegal sales of weapons

There must be some sort of connection...

=====

Spoiler for people who need it spelled out (because, yeah, I forget I need this)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part, what I mean is that the basic likelihood of someone trying to acquire a weapon jumps hugely, thereby increasing proliferation.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that was poorly worded on my part, what I mean is that the basic likelihood of someone trying to acquire a weapon jumps hugely, thereby increasing proliferation.

Yeah but for guns it is because... well... the people you would expect to start stockpiling.

Rather then the average citizen deciding they really need a rocket launcher, AK47, or Copkillers.

We saw that happen back when there was a "gun regulation" scare.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Why do we have such a polygamy taboo even?
The visceral and anthropological reason it disgusts a lot of people from primarily monogamous societies is probably largely based in sex selection and notions of "cheating" (not on a partner but cheating the social contract, like stealing an unfair portion of a communal food source for your own children but but barring those of other people). Women dislike it because they and their children have to share the resources of a small number of men divided between many women and children, men dislike it because most of them end up deprived of resources and of potential partners. Only the minority of successful men like it, and so it's probable that culture will turn against them on an anthropological timescale. This undergoes collapse rapidly if it reaches the logical cult-style extreme, of one powerful man with all of the community's women and a bunch of other men basically around for labor. Even powerful men have to sleep eventually...

What if I keep only gay men for labor? Then they would have no conflict with my extreme polygamia as they would be able to find partners in each other.
A clever solution, however, it is doomed to fail for three reasons.

Firstly, as demonstrated by Kinsley, human sexuality is more of a gradient than separate boxes. The odds of you successfully purging a population of men down to its gayest such that they will only and perpetually desire one another is unlikely for various statistical reasons. Admittedly, your cult structure may help alleviate this one, but only if you can provide a sufficiently attractive doctrine of God Hates Straights Except The Prophet.

Secondly, the women will also likely kill you, both because of your abusive cult practices and as a consequence of their warring with one another over your attention. Obviously, selecting for lesbians both solves and worsens this issue.

Thirdly, even if you successfully keep your breeding cult going, eventually one of your sons will be born, grow to an age of sexual desire, discover he's straight unlike all the other men in the cult, and kill you to steal the women he isn't related to.

So I'm afraid it's simply impossible.

MSH: I don't care what you do, I don't care what anyone does.  I'm perfectly willing to sit here and deal with my family because this is at worst eight years of a shit president who will then be replaced, maybe by someone good, probably by someone mediocre.
*Engraved here is an image of a MetalSlimeHunt in pitchblende. It menaces with spikes of sandstone. The MetalSlimeHunt is making a plaintive gesture.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 3563