Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3551 3552 [3553] 3554 3555 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4150750 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #53280 on: August 11, 2024, 08:12:18 pm »

You know what though? Many of us want a "cardboard cutout" leader. We just want the status quo. We don't want revolutionary thinking. We want to wake up every day, eat the food in our pantry in our house that we were able to purchase because we had a job in a nice stable society, where people aren't out to get each other or try and figure out what someone else has that we don't have.  We want to be able to try and start our own businesses, if we want, without having the giant entrenched companies have so much power and economy of scale that it's basically impossible.

We want to be reasonably sure our food is safe to eat, our air and water are clean, that our transportation won't kill us, that our prescriptions are safe and our doctors are competent, we want to have good weather forecasts.  Some of us even want to be inviting to our neighbors and people looking for opportunity, because that's what built this country.  We want people to be able to express themselves, even when we disagree with them, so long as those expressions are peaceful.
Friend, wanting that (for everybody) is revolutionary thinking.  That is the goal.
(even the business part, heh.  People can do enterprise without exploiting capital.  was the norm for millenia, for much of the world)
And this country was founded on slavery and genocide and a "democracy" of landlords, but revolutionary thinking is how we improved from there.

And we're not going back!
(oh by which I mean I'm supporting Harris.  She's far from my ideal candidate, but I'm incredibly relieved I don't have to vote for Biden.  Optimistic even, which feels *really* good)

(oh also I meant friend in a friendly and egalitarian way, sorry, I honestly forget that it's commonly used sarcastically :()
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 08:37:44 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #53281 on: August 11, 2024, 08:18:57 pm »

I think I heard that there will be a debate after all, Im eager to see her do something.

The next(first?) Presidential Debate is on ABC September 10th.
This is after Trump said he was 'Terminating' the ABC debate and would only debate Harris on Fox News, but eventually changed his mind and agreed to do ABC.

He would look cowardly had he not. The only reason he agreed to debate Biden on that date was because he was the presumptive Democratic Party presidential candidate.

(oh by which I mean I'm supporting Harris.  She's far from my ideal candidate, but I'm incredibly relieved I don't have to vote for Biden.  Optimistic even, which feels *really* good)

It is surprising to me that I’m also feeling optimistic about Harris, but she seems to have a good team around her helping her ride that wave, so hopefully it continue beyond November…
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 08:21:02 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53282 on: August 12, 2024, 08:13:14 am »

It is surprising to me that I’m also feeling optimistic about Harris, but she seems to have a good team around her helping her ride that wave, so hopefully it continue beyond November…

I don't know much about her, but I am vaguely optimistic. I suspect anyone genuinely good is going to get hampered by what people will vote for, and voters are as much of a reason as bad politicians are as to why the best you can hope for is, .meh. Her history suggests she'd push for more if the electorate would let her.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 08:39:43 am by wobbly »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53283 on: August 13, 2024, 04:48:30 am »

Responding to McTraveller a page back:
Open access
Research article
First published online July 29, 2024
Correcting Misperceptions of Fundamental Differences Between U.S. Republicans and Democrats: Some Hope-Inspiring Effects

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/19485506241263887

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53284 on: August 23, 2024, 08:32:54 pm »

Well, RFK says he's pulling out and backing Trump... (Doesn't stop people writing him in, of course.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53285 on: August 23, 2024, 08:41:28 pm »

Well, RFK says he's pulling out and backing Trump... (Doesn't stop people writing him in, of course.)

He said he wouldn’t be on the ballot in battleground states.

Except it’s too late to get off the ballot in Wisconsin, Georgia, and somewhere else I can’t remember.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #53286 on: August 23, 2024, 09:33:58 pm »

RFK also joined Trump for a rally today, where they dived even deeper into conspiracy theory territory, with Trump pledging to release all the JFK assassination documents, and RFK saying he will help Trump investigate autism, obesity, infertility, and the many other chronic conditions which plague Americans far more than any other nation. He also vowed to "end the grip of neo-cons on American foreign policy", and end the censorship of misinformation in social media.

Incidentally, over 100 people at this rally had to be treated for heat-related illness. I honestly don't know what Harris' plans are for addressing Climate Change, but I can't imagine that they're any worse than Trump's policy of 'Drill Baby Drill!".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53287 on: August 24, 2024, 12:14:01 am »

I honestly don't know what Harris' plans are for addressing Climate Change, but I can't imagine that they're any worse than Trump's policy of 'Drill Baby Drill!".
They're... probably going to roughly follow the released platform? Climate stuff starts on page 30. It's a continuation of the Biden admin's policy (which has been. Well, (one of) the best in US history, far as I'm aware? It's just that is not a high benchmark to meet), the platform itself still hasn't had Biden's name filed off it, heh. Details are a bit light, but they're going to be until the makeup of congress for the incoming admin is clear.

It clears the bar of "better than the GOP's plans", yes, but that mess is so far underground you'd need a goddamn uralmash series to reach them, so that's not necessarily saying much :V

Most of it seems pretty decent by the standards of american political parties, in any case. Probably not sufficient, but it's a damn sight better than the other option if you're actually worried about climate issues.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53288 on: August 28, 2024, 03:11:11 am »

Dumping 4 political links
FBI releases files on Trump apartments' race discrimination probe in '70s
https://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2017/02/trump-fbi-files-discrimination-case-235067
02/15/2017
Quote from: JOSH GERSTEIN
Most of those interviewed said they were not aware of any discrimination. However, some of the records recount the stories of black rental applicants who said they were told no apartments were available, while whites sent to check on the same apartments were offered leases.

The records, posted on the FBI's Freedom of Information Act website, include a 1974 interview with a former doorman at a Trump building in Brooklyn.

A supervisor "told me that if a black person came to 2650 Ocean Parkway and inquired about an apartment for rent, and he, that is [redacted] was not there at the time, that I should tell him that the rent was twice as much as it really was, in order that he could not afford the apartment," the ex-doorman said.

https://x.com/lindseygrahamsc/status/727604522156228608
Mirror: https://nitter.poast.org/lindseygrahamsc/status/727604522156228608

Quote from: @LindseyGrahamSC
If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it.
May 3, 2016

WATCH: Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez speaks at 2024 DNC | 2024 DNC Night 1
PBS NewsHour

A very effective advertisement against the Republicans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP5Gx18D4-c
Twitter mirror: https://x.com/wontpacdown/status/1817953425558270183
Max avatar size is 80x80

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53289 on: August 28, 2024, 03:28:29 am »

Trump’s team want the mics at the next debate to be muted while the other person is talking, because they’ve realized that him not ranting like an unhinged loon while his opponent is trying to answer a question is actually a good look for him, and they know he does not have the self-discipline to avoid that over a 90-minute debate.

I really hope he somehow gets goaded into saying he wants hot mics throughout.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53290 on: August 28, 2024, 04:34:46 am »

I really hope he somehow gets goaded into saying he wants hot mics throughout.
The way I heard it (last night, could well have changed since), his own comments are along the lines of "I'd be happy to, but those are the rules already agreed, so... oh well...". Thus taking a moment of unhurried clarity to realise that his advisers' advice is sound. Still trying to look like he's "up for it" but 'gracefully' bowing to the expedient option. Which is probably going to be a slight advantage to him (looks as confident as he can for his definite supporters whilst not actually blowing his chances with those who he needs to bend his way...).

All it probably takes, though, is for him to get riled up in a subsequent interview and he could easily spout off too much about "that muted mike thing is sad, I really really want my hot mikes, screw the rules, I make the rules or there's no debate" or similar and then he's perhaps over a precipice where overturning the advisable status quo is the only way to stay strong for his supporters. And that's where he seems to have his tunnel vision focused, mostly. (If he can't argue his own team down, in such circumstances, whatever sane voices there must be in that particular room, then he's not the self-confident strong-guy that he was. Or do the other 'trick' of unambiguously announcing what "will be" so that it becomes campaign policy by default, with much backroom scrambling to make it so.)

I don't think it's an automatic gain for him if he manages to not swerve into the change, and a loss if he does, but being not artificially fettered will likely be more 'interesting'.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 05:15:54 am by Starver »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53291 on: August 29, 2024, 01:07:23 pm »

Big interview tonight. I halfway expect it to go off the rails, and halfway expect it to be steered in a self-harming direction. What I'm hoping is that Harris displays a firm grasp of policy in a way that does not alienate the high-information voters in the party, while also failing to push away those hoping the new centrist direction is rightward. This is likely a high bar, which is suitable to the office.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53292 on: August 29, 2024, 01:21:36 pm »

They’ve managed to go quite a while being light on policy, hopefully they’ve spent that time actually refining what it is they want to present.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #53293 on: August 29, 2024, 04:11:12 pm »

Having your staff shove an Arlington cemetery employee to the ground, because they were trying to uphold the law you can't hold political rallies or shoot political ads at Arlington, then doing it anyways and going thumbs up in front of the graves of fallen soldiers, AND trying to then blame the Harris campaign for it.....

If I believed in such a thing as divine punishment, Donald Trump would be the embodiment of it. Lord, if you're up there, save us from this piece of shit.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/29/nx-s1-5092087/trump-arlington-cemetery-altercation-video
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53294 on: August 29, 2024, 04:31:48 pm »

He’s using dead soldiers as a political prop, and a spokesperson described someone doing their job as having a clear mental health episode… and it won’t affect him one jot.

I like how they’re also suggesting that 2 of the 13 families - never mind the families of the soldiers already interred - giving the campaign permission somehow abrogates the law that no political campaigning can be done at the cemetery.

Pages: 1 ... 3551 3552 [3553] 3554 3555 ... 3563